Conditioning is your best hold!!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33305 by
you say conditioning in terms of physical but is not the old man a better conditined warrior? with years of insite many many more years of training and though as you may see him at the moment as not fighting do we know the story of this guys youth?

i would say conditioning shouldnt be thought of as such a physical thing they say you go through conditioning in hell week and such but its merely a rigoures set of excersises to form your thought and help meld a team from one. do we not also go through conditioning in the temple itself by going through an initiates path? as much mental as physical. but i would agree on the point of technique beating conditioning but then technique is but a form of conditioning

ps. lets get this forum rolling again maybe get out the ekg machince see what we cant do haha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 7 months ago #33307 by RyuJin
there are many forms of conditioning, mental,physical,emotional,spiritual,martial...

true that technique can beat conditioning, but it's also true that conditioning can beat technique...it all depends on the individual wielding it. one must be flexible not only in thought but in ability as well. i watch ufc and have seen fights where the more technically sound fighter lost to the better conditioned fighter as well as fights were the better conditioned fighter lost to the more technically sound fighter...look at randy couture, his record isn't perfect, but even closing in on 50 years old he's still very well conditioned, and very technically sound.

in the end you need the right balance of technique,conditioning,strategy,luck and determination....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
13 years 7 months ago #33328 by Jon
This is all very well if you`re not older than 60, don`t have MS, overweight, a slipped disk, high blood presure, a post stroke syndrome, are handycapped, a coronary problem, are not taken up by working and family issues etc. So we can already say that for a great number of people conditioning through Kung Fu fighting, the martial arts and any kind of heavy training is not much of a hold. What is that hold? Is there something more fundamental which everyone can share in?

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33333 by
For 1p worth (roughly .75cents :D )

Conditioning and technique are useless on their own.

Both require each other and often the proper technique is developed at the same time as the required conditioning.

As FrJon said - not everyone is physically fit for whatever reason - and as a continuation of the theme - no two people are the same anyway ;)

Damn it - where is knight mouse when i need her - she is an aikido teacher and im sure she will tell you the above is true.

The big thing taught in all MA lessons ive ever been too is this - no matter how good you are or you think you are - somewhere out there is someone better than you.

You could be expert at xyz but if you dont have the stamina - sooner or later youll lose.

If you super fit - the fat guy who eats burgers all day can still beat you with technique.

Like many things in life - the balance and YOUR balance is key - ultimately the mind is the best weapon be it for attack or defence.

As i said - just my input not gospel :D

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33336 by
i like were your going with that jon :) as that not takeing the words as a literal translation but of the feeling or experince of the hold of the condition. Then i would relate the hold as the same as what you experince in meditation again words dont translate well but that of a soundless whistle peirceing everything you think you know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43069 by
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50978 by
Conditioning and endurance can have vastly different meaning based on the context in which you are discussing.

For example in a military mind you have fresh young recruits some of which come from athletic backgrounds and have the worlds worth of endurance but haven't yet gain the conditioning to labour they are now put to task with. Lifting weights is not the same work as continuely hauling filled ammo cans or even electronic equipment.

Or in a martial arts setting endurance is mostly describe as the ability to do a task bodily while conditioning is the mind a d the spirit portion of the triangle

On a less positive note one can endure though abuse or gain conditioned responses

The weakest in endurance and still have the conditioned perseverance to see the end

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi