What self defense form is quickest to practical aplication? DO NOT ANSWER WITHOUT READING FULL POST!

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #25790 by Garm
When I started with martial arts I looked upon Kata with the uggh! Not Kata again! attitude…I like to spar, grapple and generally the get dirty part of Karate. But over time, you learn the Kata instinctively, when the moves are well ingrained then the real process of the technique of each move becomes the focus. Now when I practice my Kata I perform them first in the traditional way…speed, power, focus! lol. Then I practice them at a slower pace, concentrating on the precise movements and placement of my body. Sometimes I perform the Kata’s at an even slow smoother pace like Tai chi…almost in a meditative state.

I’ve got to say something here…when I spar the rigid rules of Kata fly out the window. That’s not to say that the techniques completely disappear either. When performing Kata there are specific moves to the sequence of each technique that include set up, delivery, follow through into transition for the next set and so on. When Sparring if you follow these movements you show your opponent exactly what you are going to do. So fluidity, speed and diversion (feinting) are in order. In a real fight do not even let your attacker have a clue you know anything about any fighting art, until it’s to late for them to know what clocked ‘em.

Of course we don’t want to get into the art of street fighting here. (It is contrary to our mission)

But…when everything else fails and a fight is imminent…

Surprise,surprise and again surprise, and do not show mercy until you have control, remember your attacker will not show you any.

Sounds bad and it is, humanity takes a back seat at this point. Unless you like the process of healing or worse.

The mind set to survive a real life encounter is – you did not start this, there are no rules, and expect no quarter from your adversary so too bad for them. Do everything you have to do to end this in your favor.

In a real fight there is no lose or give up, it cannot be allowed to enter the thought process, winning (surviving) the fight is all there is.

Yeah I know it sounds easy but it isn’t…there is as much and probably more to success rooted in the psychology aspect than the brawn. Mental preparation is not easy to develop.

As far as taking a few hits…yeah that’s me…I’m the idiot in the movies who stands up and says “lets go as***** show me what ya got !!! Luckily I’m a big enough fellow and can take a few before choosing an opening. Then watch out *grin* But of course that is just me.

As you can see there are many things to consider, and there are no easy fixes, aside from the firearm, but that brings with it its own host of problems as well.

I wish you well in this quest
And MTFBWY.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Garm.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25791 by
Karr, I'd like to recommend a couple of books both by a man named Geoff Thompson who overcame his fear of confrontation through becoming a bouncer (doorman I think is the American term), I'm not suggesting that you follow the same path as him but he certainly overcame his fears tenfold.

'Fear, the friend of exceptional people' and 'The elephant and the twig'.

Both good books that I'm sure will only benefit you, his autobiography 'Watch my Back' is a good read as well and gives good insight into how he overcame his personal fears.

He is a very learned martial artist who knows what works.

Light and peace, Matt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25795 by
I watched a show about extreme sprts and the minds behind the people that do them (the nearest I came to esdtreme sports is tombstoning and downhill mountain biking)

basically these guys n gals all seem to agree that there are types of fear and they learn to control the different types - there is fear that is instinctive ie standing on tedge of a cliff causes instinctive yet rational fear, there is irrational fear ie if mice, and extreme death fear - the sort of fear that causes one ot freeze and do nothing.

THere were others but the crux is these guys n girls learn to control and appreciate each type to their ultimate advantage

to the regular membership - this concept will no doubt be familiar

I belive it was general patten who said 'courage is fear - but holding on just that little while longer'

MTFBWY - A

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi