Physical Fitness

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #1244 by
Physical Fitness was created by
There are several things listed in this section that are wonderful ways to help stay in shape, but we must not forget the basics.

Strength training.
Cardio vascular training.
Endureance training.

Strength training. This can be done in numerous ways. Weights, push-ups, crunches, chin-ups, pull-ups and so on. If you don't train or use your muscles they will become weak. You don't need to be the Mr Universe, you can keep it simple. Simple usually has the best results for the everyday individual. You don't have to have a gym membership to work out. You can do so many exercises from the comfort of your own home. For example, while watching TV, every commercial break, drop and do 10-20 push-ups and 20-30 crunches. You will be surprised at the results.

Cardio vascular training. It is recommended that the average person conduct 20-30 minutes of cardio training 2-3 times a week. I'm not saying go run the Boston Marathon, but It's not a slow walk through the mall either. Go for a walk that gets your heart pumping. Ride a bike. Go for a jog or run if possible. Start off small and work your way up. As you do cardio you will notice your strength will increase too as the exercise will use a tremendous amount of your body's core muscle groups. If you are up to the task, start adding small amounts of weight as you do your cardio (such as ankle weights or small dumb bells or even a weighted back pack) and watch your body's reaction.

Endurance training. This can be accomplished in several ways. Extended cardio sessions (over 30 mins) at a slower pace. Stand in a sitting position with your back against the wall (Roman Chair exercise) during commercial breaks. Hiking, mountain biking, taking the stairs, or even standing in various martial arts stances for set time periods will increase the endurance of your body.

Most of what we focus on in general as Jedi tends to be spiritual, but we can't let the house of the spirit fall into disorder. We have to be Jedi in spirit, mind, and body.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #1274 by
Replied by on topic Re:Physical Fitness
I might add agility training to that. Though That may be a personal preference.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #1292 by
A very good point indeed Br Cedric. I don't know how I overlooked that one. Do you have any suggestions for this type of training? I can think of a few things, but welcome someone else's input into this thread.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 2 days ago #1476 by
Agility training can be done on various forms. You have to remember though, agility is specific to a particular movement pattern. If you want to jump faster and higher, you are going to need to practice jumping. If you want to be able to move your arms faster out in front of you, get a small object such as a soccor ball or basketball. Hold it in front of you, then let go of it, slap your hands on the sides of your thighs and then catch the ball before it hits the ground. Then let go and clap your hands over you head and catch the ball. Next clap your hands behind your back and then catch the ball. If that's too easy for you, get a weighted medicine ball and try it. ;) These are just examples of some of the things you can do for agility training...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #2166 by
Hey, if you guys want some help with the physical training part. I believe I can help out. PM me with any exercise related question. After all I am an exercise physiologist!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #2183 by
Glad to have you aboard, KieranHalcyon. Your knowledge will surely be a great addition to this forum. Most of the knowledge I have to offer is from the aspect of a military physical training leader. You though, are well ahead of me in the game.;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #2647 by
very good points, I like to go to the gym at least 3 time a week, but that isn't for everyone.

i also run at least 3 miles at least 3 times a week, but once again that is not for everyone either.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #2794 by
As far as physical fitness goes. There is a whole world more to it than just exercise. I had trouble believing this at first, but it is the truth. Nutrition is the basis for any kind of exercise. You see these models on TV, with the ripped abs, bright smile, and nothing goin on upstairs?
Either they have some help (ie steroids, surgery, etc) or they just sucked it up and did the work it takes to look like that.

There is no magic pill! Do the work, I am proof of being diligent does good things. If you need any help, of any kind ( I personal train for a living) let me know. I can give you the answers. The motivation however is left totally up to you!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3709 by
There are so very many things to do to improve the body, and so many ways of doing those things. But, as stated earlier, you also have to have the proper nutrition, or, your body will waste away, personal experience note on that, and you can also damage the way your brain functions, yes, exercise truly is a mind-body workout. I'm not a personal trainer, though I have thought about becoming one, but, I am a member of the United States Army, and there are so very many good ways of working the body that it's not even funny. Example workouts can be found anywhere online, as I'm sure that most of us know, or you can get creative and make up your own.

Also as stated, there are many different ways to work the body, resistance, be it free weights, machines, or the best for endurance, and at least for me, an excellent way to focus the mind-body connection, body weight. In my profession, if I'm out of shape, then I cannot do my job, if I can't do my job, people are going to be hurt and killed. Physical fitness is very much an important aspect of life, one that should be practiced by everyone in whatever fashion they are able to do it.

One more thing, if you're a standard \"guy\", do not overlook the benefits of pilates, or yoga, or any of those other \"girly\" exercises, they can have more benefit for you than you would like to think about, or freely admit.
MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25987 by
I start training tonight when I go for a run, and then retire to some strength training. Before joining the Aikido dojo near me in a couple of weeks.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi