Weight Lifting?

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #310247 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Weight Lifting?

steamboat28 wrote:
Lifting is actually stupidly good for you beyond sheer strength. It's a great way to get into shape, maintain a healthy body, and get into a routine.

...now if only i could get into my routine again...

GO LIFT TEN POUNDS!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just so you know I have been feeling the same this whole week and reading your post just helped me steel my resolve for today.
And as a man who appreciates epic beards, please enjoy this short video featuring the most epic beard in fitness....

Warning: Spoiler!

Atticus wrote: Can't agree more. For strength, body composition, even cardiovascular fitness if you do it right, nothing beats resistance training.

Cardio,,, is that spanish??
PSA: SQUATS ARE ALSO CARDIO TOO, AS WELL!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310248 by
Replied by on topic Weight Lifting?

OB1Shinobi wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:
Lifting is actually stupidly good for you beyond sheer strength. It's a great way to get into shape, maintain a healthy body, and get into a routine.

GO LIFT TEN POUNDS!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just so you know I have been feeling the same this whole week and reading your post just helped me steel my resolve for today.
And as a man who appreciates epic beards, please enjoy this short video featuring the most epic beard in the youtube fitness community....

Atticus wrote: Can't agree more. For strength, body composition, even cardiovascular fitness if you do it right, nothing beats resistance training.

Cardio,,, is that spanish??
PSA: SQUATS ARE ALSO CARDIO TOO, AS WELL!

Made me think of this:

More
6 years 3 months ago #310252 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Weight Lifting?
And THAT reminded me of THIS...which you may not actually think is funny, but im a JR fan so i basically turn off my brain and just agree with everything he says about everything cause thats what it means to be a REAL FAN

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310592 by

steamboat28 wrote:

FriendlyLion wrote: I would think the reason weight lifting isn't something that's present on this board is because people are generally looking for advice how to get in shape and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle/body type. Doing these things does not require lifting weights. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who do lift, but they probably go to other forums dedicated to lifting when they want to talk about or learn about lifting.

Yes, but lifting weighted objects isn't needed. There's a famous American football player named Troy Polamalu who notoriously never lifted weights. He still utilized weight resistance training, but used alternate workouts.

Famous WWE wrestler Dean Ambrose also does not lift weights. Typically utilizes the Hindu pushup, the burpee, the standing squat, and similar exercises.

The idea that you need to lift to get in shape and maintain a routine is silly. There's plenty of athletes who don't lift. If someone who isn't an athlete wanted to get in shape, they can do so without going to the gym and maxing out their bench press. It certainly can help, but it isn't needed. And lifting definitely isn't needed to maintain a routine. Just practicing self discipline can help someone maintain any routine they want.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310594 by
There are many paths to fitness Lion. Each individual must learn what works best for their body and life style. I've done body weight, free weight, resistance machine, jogging, martial arts, isometrics...etc. they all yield results. That being said it was a combination of body weight, free weight, and sprinting that worked most efficiently for myself.

More
6 years 3 months ago #310627 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?

The idea that you need to lift to get in shape and maintain a routine is silly. There's plenty of athletes who don't lift. If someone who isn't an athlete wanted to get in shape, they can do so without going to the gym and maxing out their bench press. It certainly can help, but it isn't needed. And lifting definitely isn't needed to maintain a routine. Just practicing self discipline can help someone maintain any routine they want.

about as silly as the idea that you should avoid lifting weights.

"maxing your bench press" and "using free weights for training" are fairly separate concepts.

Do I do Bench Presses as part of my physical training? Hell yeah, they're a fantastic exercise, and post-surgery, I can actually do it!

Do I do bench presses to get better at bench presses? No. That's not my goal, nor is it likely the goal of (making up a number here) 82% of the people you might see using a bench and either dumb or bar bells.

Not everyone (or even necessarily "many") of the people who lift weights are training to be powerlifters (masters of the "Big 3" - Bench, Dead, and Squat)

Apparently Usain Bolt prefers machines to workout, and does a Seated Chest Press, but that's neither here not there - The fastest sprinter in the world still includes this quality upper body exercise in his routines, and I imagine if he is travelling, and the Gym he goes do doesn't have a seated chest press machine, he'll load up a bar and crack out a few reps.

I'm not "fanboying" the bench press, I just picked it because you mentioned it.

Weight lifting is not the exclusive realm of olympic and powerlifters, different exercises and techniques can be used in any routine.

In fact, I bench and curl to improve my push ups and pull ups - and I do all four to improve my swimming and Mud Run performance.

I do that last one to meet girls.

Weird old world, physical training.

More
6 years 3 months ago #310636 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?
Out of curiousity, I looked up Dean Ambrose (as I'd never heard of her)
anyway, it turns out they are into weights, according to at least one silly source that may or may not have anything to do with how he actually traines.

http://www.getmuscularity.com/2017/04/wwe-dean-ambrose-workout-routine.html

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310660 by

FriendlyLion wrote: Yes, but lifting weighted objects isn't needed. There's a famous American football player named Troy Polamalu who notoriously never lifted weights. He still utilized weight resistance training, but used alternate workouts.

Famous WWE wrestler Dean Ambrose also does not lift weights. Typically utilizes the Hindu pushup, the burpee, the standing squat, and similar exercises.

I doubt anybody was saying that it was necessary, nor required for good physical conditioning. Hell, I once ran my PT test without much effort after a few months of plyometrics. I whooped that test's ass. Do I like doing plyo? Hell to the naw, but it was hella effective. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330972 by
It is not really a matter of weight lifting vs. body weight training.
Physiologically, resistance is resistance. It does not matter whether the resistance comes from free weights, pin select weight stack, resistance bands, body weight, clubbells, kettlebells, a mace, or anything else. To the muscles affected, it is all resistance.
There are pros & cons to each method.
What to use comes down to what Your goals are and what resources are available to You …

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331918 by

I doubt anybody was saying that it was necessary, nor required for good physical conditioning. Hell, I once ran my PT test without much effort after a few months of plyometrics. I whooped that test's ass. Do I like doing plyo? Hell to the naw, but it was hella effective. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

I didn't say anyone was saying that it was necessary. I was just answering a question when Steamboat28 decided to take my reply as somehow an attack on weightlifting.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi