Weight Lifting?

More
6 years 6 months ago #302136 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Weight Lifting?

OB1Shinobi wrote: Theres really no excuse for anyone over 14 to not have some kind of weights if they want them tbh. If you arent interested in wieghts thats fine, but im not impressed with "i wish i could lift weights but i just cant afford it" ... youre playing video games arent you? Buying cigarrettes or booze or coffee or fast food or net-flix every week or month, im pretty sure you could get some weights if you made it a real priority.

Indeed. I've got a couple of dumbells, a barbell, some weight plates and two axle stands (for a bench) in the garage. That is my lifting 'gym'. But I also have an old $150 Total Gym in the spare room to stay toned during the swelting Summers when I'm too melted to do anything serious. That said, bodyweight, flexibility and balance is more important for me, since I'm ethically minimizing eating meat, and dairy annoys me. I can only eat so many eggs a day :pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302142 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?

Indeed. I've got a couple of dumbells, a barbell, some weight plates and two axle stands (for a bench) in the garage. That is my lifting 'gym'. But I also have an old $150 Total Gym in the spare room to stay toned during the swelting Summers when I'm too melted to do anything serious. That said, bodyweight, flexibility and balance is more important for me, since I'm ethically minimizing eating meat, and dairy annoys me. I can only eat so many eggs a day

TOTAL GYM!?!?!?!

As used by the New York Fire department, and recommended by Chuck Norris?!?!?!

The one that makes a horrible "grrt grrt grrt grrt" noise as you slide up and down the rails, making it flat out impossible to get shredded and enjoy an episode of Blue Heelers at the same time?

(to be fair, it does pack away flat - you can put it under the bed and never take it out again :silly: )
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by JamesSand.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302145 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Weight Lifting?

JamesSand wrote: TOTAL GYM!?!?!?!

As used by the New York Fire department, and recommended by Chuck Norris?!?!?!

The one that makes a horrible "grrt grrt grrt grrt" noise as you slide up and down the rails, making it flat out impossible to get shredded and enjoy an episode of Blue Heelers at the same time?

(to be fair, it does pack away flat - you can put it under the bed and never take it out again :silly: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfFFJHm_aRg

Anything for Christy :huh:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
6 years 6 months ago #302189 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?
Well, between her and Nigella Lawson I guess I've got my youtube watching schedule for today...

Can we get TotJO sponsered by Total Gym?
Some of these are bloody hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQlflG93Zc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #310183 by
Replied by on topic Weight Lifting?
I would think the reason weight lifting isn't something that's present on this board is because people are generally looking for advice how to get in shape and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle/body type. Doing these things does not require lifting weights. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who do lift, but they probably go to other forums dedicated to lifting when they want to talk about or learn about lifting.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #310187 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Weight Lifting?

FriendlyLion wrote: I would think the reason weight lifting isn't something that's present on this board is because people are generally looking for advice how to get in shape and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle/body type. Doing these things does not require lifting weights. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who do lift, but they probably go to other forums dedicated to lifting when they want to talk about or learn about lifting.

Lifting is actually stupidly good for you beyond sheer strength. It's a great way to get into shape, maintain a healthy body, and get into a routine.

...now if only i could get into my routine again...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310188 by

steamboat28 wrote:

FriendlyLion wrote: I would think the reason weight lifting isn't something that's present on this board is because people are generally looking for advice how to get in shape and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle/body type. Doing these things does not require lifting weights. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who do lift, but they probably go to other forums dedicated to lifting when they want to talk about or learn about lifting.

Lifting is actually stupidly good for you beyond sheer strength. It's a great way to get into shape, maintain a healthy body, and get into a routine.

Nothing quite like weight lifting. Its not *required* for a healthy life, but only so much you can do without it. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310195 by

Arisaig wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Nothing quite like weight lifting. Its not *required* for a healthy life, but only so much you can do without it. ;)

Can't agree more. For strength, body composition, even cardiovascular fitness if you do it right, nothing beats resistance training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310199 by
I'm 50 and have made multiple attempts over the decades to build a decent physique in the gym using free weights and machines. The truth be told I never got very far with it because three things let me down:
1. Motivation
2. Diet
3. Alcohol

There was no consistency and to be honest I found working out in the gym to be boring beyond belief. I had to drag myself in there to do split routines 3-4 times a week. I usually ended up skipping sessions to go running instead. Some where along the line I discovered Cross Fit but dropped it after getting injured. Then there was a period of enlightenment where I started doing Army PT comprised of Calisthenics, Running, Pack Marching and HITT circuits. That quickly burned me out however.
One day I was browsing the net looking on ways to increase pull-ups and discovered "Convict Conditioning". That led me to the world of Calisthenics-Street Workout. Now I know what you are thinking but at my age cardio is not a great idea. Free weights puts too much focal pressure on the joints and isolates muscles. Body-weight training is the best solution that provides functional strength and well as cardio fitness. I now add weight to my dips/pull ups etc using vests and belt and run once a week. Fitter now than I was as a 21 year old Grunt.
I'm not crapping on weight lifting. It depends on what you are looking for. For me the ideal is a lean and muscular body that has good functional strength and good endurance. Calisthenics has given me that. Weight lifting now seems to me to be sort of quaint and odd.
Have been going 11 months almost daily and moving into intermediate territory doing muscle ups, front lever and archer pull ups. Working on advanced moves like flags and planches as well as dynamic moves. The great thing about Calisthenics is that as you get stronger your form improves and you start mastering advanced techniques. It takes a long time and you obsess about strict muscle ups and perfect form on the rings and doing levers, planches etc. As you progress you notice your physical development. Recently noticed first 6-pack abs since forever. Diet, sleep and attitude all click in to place. Being a bar athlete becomes a lifestyle. I've started dreaming calisthenics and do it any opportunity using whatever is around.
Sorry about the rant but wanted to share my experience. I used go to the Bar to get rounds in, now I go to the other Bar to get reps in. Salut.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #310240 by
When I'm not prepping for a PT test, I usually do weightlifting. Squats and deadlifts are my two most favorite exercises. I can eat more when I lift weights, but I have to watch what I eat when I'm only doing cardio and bodyweight training. Try squatting heavy every day for a month and tell me how much stronger you get. I got much better at lifting more weight and I've tried all sorts of routines. It sucks for the first week, but then it gets easier to just go in there and get it done. Do it first thing in the morning and you've got one of the hardest parts of your day out of the way. ;)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135