Marijuana and its use

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230160 by
Replied by on topic Re:Marijuana and its use
Well, when I had the opportunity to live in a medically legal state, I had a card for for its legal use, for chronic pain, and it helped incredibly. I wish I still lived there. Where I'm at now has no program what so ever and I find it difficult to deal with what I've got going on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #230562 by
Replied by on topic Marijuana and its use
:( Marijuana is a drug it is that simple, what does it do?
change your reality,be it mood or perception. but it is still an illusion.
You may need that illusion at one time in your life.
to get passed a time when you can not cope.

but sooner or later you have to come back to the here and now.
this may be years it may be weeks,

as for the human spirit drugs will keep you lock in your body.
yes you may have visions but because you are under a drug
you will not know if good or bad sent them.

when you are at peace walking in the forest or near the sea
no drug, sex or drink can give you that truly feeling good about one self.
like nature can.

Br. John,tzb gentleman may i ask you both to meditate on the following
with your titles and rank i know it will have deep meaning.

the spirit(energy ) is immortal.
it love the light.
it worships beauty,of thought and deed.
and it has eternity to enjoy,
time to contemplate.
but the flesh is dark for the flesh knows it has not long to live.
against the time of the spirit the life of the flesh is like a lightning flash.
so it has little time to know pleasure,to taste the richness of life,lust ,greed or gain.
it wants to experience everything, and it cares for nothing save existence.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230733 by

remo wrote: :( Marijuana is a drug it is that simple

False. It is a plant that has different uses: medicinal uses, drug uses, production uses (rope, paper, clothing etc).
Things are rarely as simple as you think. Please be mindful of this in your future studies.

More
8 years 1 month ago #230735 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Marijuana and its use

Riyuma wrote:

False. It is a plant that has different uses...

Each of which causes a physiological change to the body or body chemistry, which makes it a drug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230737 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Riyuma wrote:

False. It is a plant that has different uses...

Each of which causes a physiological change to the body or body chemistry, which makes it a drug.

Because wearing clothing or using paper made of it gets you high....[/sarcasm]

Besides many foods make physiological changes to the body or body chemistry, are they drugs? According to your definition they are. Doesn't add up.

Glue can be abused to get high, but that't not a reason to call glue a drug. Etc etc etc

More
8 years 1 month ago #230739 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Marijuana and its use

Riyuma wrote: Doesn't add up.

According to the most common English definition of the word "drug", it's a non-food substance introduced to the body to change body chemistry in some fashion, or cause some other physiological change. So, yes. Cannabinoids are drugs, regardless of whatever else you'd like to say about them. The question isn't whether they change body chemistry, it's how is it appropriate to harness those changes, if at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230757 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Riyuma wrote: Doesn't add up.

According to the most common English definition of the word "drug", it's a non-food substance introduced to the body to change body chemistry in some fashion, or cause some other physiological change. So, yes. Cannabinoids are drugs, regardless of whatever else you'd like to say about them.

This can be countered in many ways. It is a plant and a edible one. Isn't this something that classifies it as a food?

If we're talking about non-food substances that are abused for its hallucinogenic effects, then the same applies to paint and glue. Even though they have other ways of use.

There are a lot of muhsrooms in the world. These are fungi. Some can take your world for a spin. Doesn't make them drugs. Same with a certain toad. Just because people lick its back and get high, doesn't mean the toad goes from an amphibian to a drug.

The question isn't whether they change body chemistry, it's how is it appropriate to harness those changes, if at all.

Was merely quoting you when you said "Each of which causes a physiological change to the body or body chemistry, which makes it a drug."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230815 by

jake_sato wrote: I would love to hear the collective thoughts on this topic. The use of Marijuana for healing and or force sensitivity practice?

Like everything, it depends. It's a use or abused thing. It's been around for a long long time yet we seem to be turning out OK. There are always exceptions but if it was harming society it would be more obvious.

FYI I don't use it, mostly because I'd lose my job, but if it gets legalized I'd try it for my fibromyalgia pain.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #230823 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Marijuana and its use
The term drug seems to be best used in the US as anything introduced into the body for a non-nutrient effect. Other countries might tend to prefer to use the term 'medicine' for drugs used for medical effect, and I know where I live the term drug nearly only is used for illicit drugs. So it depends what the person might mean by using the term drug, as it is slightly ambiguous.

Do they mean anything introduced that isnt food, or anything illegal, or something psychoactive etc etc!! Avoiding ambiguity helps communication, but so to does recognizing when something is ambiguous and avoiding in response the assumption of any one particular thing that might be inferred is what is actually implied. It might be, but it might not. I know its something I have to try and keep on top of!!

Illicit drug's used recreationally are probably most always what is called psychoactive, and ones that impact those mechanisms of perception are usually called hallucinatory. Hallucinations can usefully IMO be dividied into psychedelic, deliriant and dissociative effects. I'd tend to put marijuana (depending on strength) into the major dissociative, mid range psychedelic and minor deliriant category, but that can vary across individuals and strength/strain, and to some extent the circumstances of use. I'd probably put alcohol, also a drug, as a major dissociative, zero psychedelic and zero deliriant? Something like LSD might be mid range dissociative, major psychedelic and minor deliriant... depending on strength etc.

So [strike]society[/strike] the law seems to accept dissociation as an acceptable recreational effect, but not psychedelia or delirium. Not all recreational drugs are hallucinatory though, but even some stimulants for example like some of amphetamine's can be. While I personally don't think any of them should be criminal, the impairment of 'intoxication' from any drug (including alcohol) use is a serious issue for everyone IMO. But education and culture can go a long way to avoid abuse while allowing use, if its supported in the right way.

Is it suitable for Jedi!!!? The question begs another question, should anyone dictate as law how people mediate their personal experience of reality if it does not nor is not likely to harm anyone? Considering there would be some people who could argue it is a type of psychological medicine, for example medical trials of ketamine helping some with serious depression and PTSD. Amphetamines are now prescribed for ADHD etc. So what is illusion and what is reality, it is all illusory from a certain point of view, so the question might be better about 'capacity to act' - which in that context really ends up putting marijuana on par with alcohol IMO, as both being dissociative.

IMO dissociation disconnects perception from reality, hallucination transforms perception of reality, deliriants are different but most usually and in simple terms 'break' perception of reality. So while some drug's like stimulants can 'increase' ones capacity to act, I've found that low range hallucination can sometimes inform rather then distort. So it's not as simple as illegal recreational drug = bad and useless, at least not in my experience. But there are lots of potential risks, many serious, some damaging long term, and quite a few fatal.... when messing with the most complex thing known in the universe - the human brain.

Anway, & therefore, short of ascetic denial of recreational drug use (including alcohol) to maintain a constant readiness to act, it seems unnecessary to 'outlaw' it from private recreational activity. Then the issue really becomes about education and product quality control, so people can make informed decisions and avoid harming themselves!! That would be the biggest thing for me in determining 'use'. The other thing is they are often prone to adverse interactions from polypharmacy (including fatal) and often easier to exceed safe dosages, those are both shared with alcohol to some extent also.

So its like alcohol is a soft drug which the law trust's the people to be able to handle, but anything more powerful is considered out of our capacity. To some extent this is true, but I don't think its a proactive approach and looking around the world it's not realisitc, and it's not working, and the current approach is causing incidents and accidents which might otherwise be avoided if we treated it all like informed responsible adults. That's how I view it anyway. Marijuana seems to be like the next softest thing next to alcohol. The US seems to be one of the most 'trusting' in this regard, it lets most everyone carry firearms for example which might be normal for folk in the US, but is a big sign of trust by the government (considering they are designed to do harm). And now many States are allowing marijuana use. I think it just needs to be treated sort of like a mix between alcohol and smoking; don't do it while working, don't do it while operating machinary (like driving), don't do it while having any duty of care, don't do it too much, don't do too much at once, don't do it in confined public spaces etc. Basically only do it at home or at relevant establishments for special occasions.

/wall of text :blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , rugadd, Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231187 by
A special thanks to you all on this subject - I wish to create a video project approximately 1 hr in length - detailing the positives and negatives of marijuana, from a Jedi or force sensitive perspective.

Is there anyone interested in this venture? I would be looking to release the film - June 1 2017 :D -bow-
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi