Best martial art?

More
10 years 6 days ago #144911 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Best martial art?
Ethan ... *sigh* :dry:

Best martial art ... I wouldn't know. 'Go', perhaps ... ? :unsure:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Archon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 days ago #144919 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Best martial art?
Like others have said: there really is no "best" martial art. It really just depends on what you're looking to get out of it and how well it suits you.

Personally T'ai chi is one of my favorites. At the introductory levels its not about attacking or conflict at all; it's about learning to center yourself and build a powerful understanding of movement and form. Over time you begin to develop your form and your muscle memory becomes saturated with the art. It allows you to proactively respond in almost any physical condition better than you would without that training. In this way I'd suggest T'ai chi as a very powerful companion to any other martial art - it builds an excellent foundation that greatly improves your focus and progression in any martial arts form.

I also study Aikido and saber fencing, and I'm looking to expand into WMA/HEMA (historical Western martial arts) one of these days as well. In both my fencing and Aikido however I've noticed an improvement from studying T'ai chi. Yoga behaves in much the same way as T'ai chi as well - by grounding you, building stamina and resistance, and helping you maintain a meditative presence under pressure.

My suggestion? Study T'ai chi and yoga concurrently with whatever other martial art interests you the most, and you'll find that your training goes much smoother (though it will be a lot tougher if you're doing all three to begin with every week). Pace yourself. Don't reach for rank or anything, just settle in and practice a little every day. Ok, now I'm preaching, lol. :P

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144952 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
It may sound a bit arrogant, but I believe that every Jedi should know at least basics about swordsmanship.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144955 by
Jeet Kun Do, FTW

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144986 by

Zeph wrote: It may sound a bit arrogant, but I believe that every Jedi should know at least basics about swordsmanship.

Its not arrogant to say or think that, however an explanation as to how you have come to that conclusion would be great. Many Jedi say this, and I am not sure as to the motivation.

In the Sith path, martial arts is not a requirement, or even a suggestion.

I myself am a bit obsessive about martial arts, but that is my passion, other Sith have interests that lay well outside that, and it is more encouraged that one realize there passions wherever they are as opposed to to preset criteria, especially of the martial variety.

Now, within ones passion, they should seek not only to pursue it, but pursue it with the focus deserving of the title of ones passion.

So I am interested as to why Jedi should know swordsmanship on any real level, especially if its not even an interest.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144990 by

Khaos wrote:

Zeph wrote: It may sound a bit arrogant, but I believe that every Jedi should know at least basics about swordsmanship.

Its not arrogant to say or think that, however an explanation as to how you have come to that conclusion would be great. Many Jedi say this, and I am not sure as to the motivation.

In the Sith path, martial arts is not a requirement, or even a suggestion.

I myself am a bit obsessive about martial arts, but that is my passion, other Sith have interests that lay well outside that, and it is more encouraged that one realize there passions wherever they are as opposed to to preset criteria, especially of the martial variety.

Now, within ones passion, they should seek not only to pursue it, but pursue it with the focus deserving of the title of ones passion.

So I am interested as to why Jedi should know swordsmanship on any real level, especially if its not even an interest.

Hello! :)

I mentioned swordsmanship because many so-called "Jedi" are simply obsessed with lightsabers, and that "curiosity" could be the gateway to a great tool for personal growth (martial arts, fencing).

Am not familiar with the Sith doctrine, so I will not speculate anything about Sith;

From my point of view (about the Jedi) harmony and balance with the Force are the main objectives (it is explicit The 21 Maxims).

Martial arts, alongside practices like yoga or gymnastics, are the most effective way (as far as I know) to obtain harmony with your own body.

If there is no corporal conscience and harmony with our own body, and perception about the functioning of our mind (analytical meditation; various meditative process) there is no practical application for the Jedi teaching or any other kind of “spiritual” teaching, and you will never understand anything about the Force beyond what you come to read or listening based on other people's experiences.

Can be harmony with the Force when you can not even achieve harmony with your own body/mind?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #145020 by
Meh, the best martial art is the one you plan to use when words fail. AND THEY DO. It is good to have an option that is not shooting someone.

If you are not planning to use it for defense or attack, then it is not MARTIAL. Might as well study a "martial sport"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #145022 by

Andy Spalding wrote: If you are not planning to use it for defense or attack, then it is not MARTIAL. Might as well study a "martial sport"

Well that's kind of the problem with martial arts in the West though, right? Much of what is called "karate" or "taekwondo" and all that hogwash is actually just cheap imitation made for the purpose of competitive sport. The stuff they teach you in the average "dojo" isn't the kind of thing you would want to know how to do in a hand-to-hand combat situation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #145023 by
The best strategy for when things go hand to hand is to fight dirty, end the fight quickly, and not to use excessive force. You must win the fight, and defend yourself without ending the other person's life, or disabling them permanently. No fight will be pretty, but if you know how to win quickly, then no fight will be a disaster

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #145025 by
Yea, nowhere did i say that any martial art would suit. However everyone is different, and i am not going to tell someone their art is BS... I will however SHOW them.

Yea, McDojo's and 10 year old black belts run rampant around my parts. How do you know if your art carries water? Test it.

I am not saying go pick fights at the local pub, but one should set up sparring bouts often. Outside of one's system... and in uneven matches.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi