Best martial art?

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #321820 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Best martial art?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd9-8JWgnm8&app=desktop

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #321821 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Best martial art?

OB1Shinobi wrote: Video

Jujitsu only wins a 1vs 1 streetfight when you take it to the ground like that. Do these takedowns in the ghetto and you will have one of their friends putting boots to the back of your head before you ever maneuver to the armbar or choke. Groundfighting skills are a must but they are not the place you want to default to.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by MadHatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #321822 by OB1Shinobi
Certainly. And if they dont stomp you, one of them will shoot you. BUt this is true for all styles. What jiujitsu offers is the skills to actually win against one person, which is more than most can say. Well they all SAY it but few actually back it up.
Ignoring the title and simply watching the video, this fight was actually jiujitsu and boxing. Which is about as good as it gets for real life and unarmed self defense (in terms of what systems to take). The boxing here wasnt particularly impressive but the smaller man won because he had better hands and better ground fighting.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, MadHatter

More
5 years 10 months ago #321823 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Best martial art?

OB1Shinobi wrote: Certainly. And if they dont stomp you, one of them will shoot you. BUt this is true for all styles. What jiujitsu offers is the skills to actually win against one person, which is more than most can say. Well they all SAY it but few actually back it up.
Ignoring the title and simply watching the video, this fight was actually jiujitsu and boxing. Which is about as good as it gets for real life, unarmed self defense (in terms of what systems to take).

Very true as far as boxing and jujutsu go. The striking aspect of the fight was good. It was just the (I believe) triangle choke that stuck out and risky if you are not sure you are one on one. As far as firearms in the ghetto you would be surprised. Most often you gotta worry about a knife not a gun. Most people dont carry guns all the time, but they do carry knives. ( which is why the Tueller drill is important to know )

Frankly I loath the idea of a fist fight if I can help it. I prefer pepper spray and running if I think its safe. How do you feel about Judo vs Jui Jitsu as far as grappling skills go? I want to learn more ground fighting as my knowledge is limited to what the Navy taught me during security training and informal mat sessions on at the base gym

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #321824 by OB1Shinobi

MadHatter wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: Certainly. And if they dont stomp you, one of them will shoot you. BUt this is true for all styles. What jiujitsu offers is the skills to actually win against one person, which is more than most can say. Well they all SAY it but few actually back it up.
Ignoring the title and simply watching the video, this fight was actually jiujitsu and boxing. Which is about as good as it gets for real life, unarmed self defense (in terms of what systems to take).

Very true as far as boxing and jujutsu go. The striking aspect of the fight was good. It was just the (I believe) triangle choke that stuck out and risky if you are not sure you are one on one. As far as firearms in the ghetto you would be surprised. Most often you gotta worry about a knife not a gun. Most people dont carry guns all the time, but they do carry knives. ( which is why the Tueller drill is important to know )

Frankly I loath the idea of a fist fight if I can help it. I prefer pepper spray and running if I think its safe. How do you feel about Judo vs Jui Jitsu as far as grappling skills go? I want to learn more ground fighting as my knowledge is limited to what the Navy taught me during security training and informal mat sessions on at the base gym

In the "hoods" that ive been in theres a lot of your "every day poor people" who may or may not have some kind of weapon, usually a knife, but then there are the drug dealers who pretty much all carry pistols.

That was a "triangle arm bar".. he did get a triangle position but he actually finished with an arm bar, not the triangle, which is a choke. That would have hyoerextended the arm past the breaking point at the elbow.

Bjj takedowns are plenty good enough against someone who doesnt have any grappling, but Judo and wrestling both have better takedowns than brzln jiujitsu, generally speaking. Which is weird because jiujitsu specializes in ground fighting, so its a no-brainer that it should have strong takedowns. But anyway, most bjj guys feel the need to cross train in wrestling (double leg and single leg especially) and judo for trips. For basic self defense you probably only need one or two takedowns that youre really good at and then one or two more that youre just pretty good at.

Once it goes to the ground though its really a matter of who has spent more time there: a judoka who really focuses on newaza (ground fighting) will be very good at it. As good as a bjj guy, perhaps. The caveat is that Judo is an olympic though and the rules are highly skewed towards throws rather than ground based submissions, so most judoka will have spent less time on the ground fighting and subs than the bjj guys. Overall i would say jiujitsu is better than judo for goundfighting, but again thats because of the emphasis, not because the overall system of judo isnt good on the ground.

Wrestling is also very good for getting a dominant position in a fight (from which you can throw punches) but wrestlers win by pinning their opponents, not by submitting them. A pin represents physical domination but without a weapon, its not necessarily going to end the fight. Every sub in bjj is either a choke that legit causes someone to pass out in a few seconds, or it is a break that... well, that breaks some limb or tears some tendon/ligament in some joint. So that particular piece of their body just doesnt work anymore. You have a "use of force continuum" in bjj. ..... chokes are fast and make the person sleep with no long term consequences at all, USUALLY. They wake up in a little while with a headache but thats it (unless you did something more after they lassed out-- i recomend drawing genitalia on their forehead). Then there is an arm bar.. you can actually choose how badly to break the arm at the elbow according to my coach (he says theres three "pops".. the third one is total breakage but the first two are just painful for a few weeks. Then there are joint attacks such as at the shoulders or the knee... these cause serious, long term injuries which can sometimes be repaired with expensive surgeries and lots and lots of rehab. Then theres attacks on the spinal column which cause paralysis or death.

This is what judo excels at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs

A good throw or slam can end a fight instantly, but the risk is that they can kill or seriously injure the other person. Sometimes thats ok but id say its best to have one or two "hard" takedowns and one or two "soft" takedowns in the inventory.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
5 years 10 months ago #321836 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Best martial art?
A friendly reminder to those reading/researching that most systems of fighting require practice and a reasonably fit body to be useful. Second to that, endurance enough to last longer than 30 seconds of combat with out becoming extremely winded. Cardio, cardio, cardio.

DO NOT assume because you watched a video or attended a lecture that you will react in time and with the precision necessary to apply a technique. A real fight, especially on the street with no rules, should be avoided at all costs, even at the expense of your pride. Permanent injury or death can easily result. Instead, run as soon as you can. Cardio, cardio, cardio.

I agree that a combination of boxing and jiu jitsu is the most practical for people looking for self defense options. Not because I believe they are the best systems of fighting, but because they can be picked up and maintained easier than more advanced fighting forms. I myself am a Shaolin Gong Fu person, but its a lifestyle for me and something I will be teaching. Not everyone can make that kind of commitment.

Finally, situational awareness will save your butt more than throwing a punch and can be(should be) practiced where ever/whenever you are. Rule number one for winning a fight: Don't be there.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi