Taoism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207678 by
Replied by on topic Taoism
Bummer the link is gone but I printed off all the pages and still reflect on a page every day. It's quite centering.

I'll have to find a new link for this place. Anyone know of a site?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278425 by
I've studied Taoism during the Initiate Program like everyone else here. I also had to study it during 2005-2007 when I was getting my Theology Degree; but my personal path started leaning more towards Buddhism. My entire apprenticeship so far has been about Taoism; which I'm truly enjoying and seeing the benefits its had on my focus, my passions, and my goals in life.

I HIGHLY recommend Benjamin Hoffs books 'The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet" as a very whimsical and in-depth study of Taoism.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285307 by

Blackbeltmitpen wrote: I've studied Taoism during the Initiate Program like everyone else here. I also had to study it during 2005-2007 when I was getting my Theology Degree; but my personal path started leaning more towards Buddhism. My entire apprenticeship so far has been about Taoism; which I'm truly enjoying and seeing the benefits its had on my focus, my passions, and my goals in life.

I HIGHLY recommend Benjamin Hoffs books 'The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet" as a very whimsical and in-depth study of Taoism.

I second this, these are both really fantastic books regarding Taoism :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285310 by
I bought the Tao of Pooh last month , its the next book i will read :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285326 by
Amyntas - the Tao of Yoda by D.W. Kreger is an interesting take on it too. It's the TTC translated from Chinese to English without fixing the word order, so it sounds like the way Yoda talks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285327 by

Senan wrote: Amyntas - the Tao of Yoda by D.W. Kreger is an interesting take on it too. It's the TTC translated from Chinese to English without fixing the word order, so it sounds like the way Yoda talks.

Thank you for the tip :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #304623 by
I realize this is an old topic, but I realized I should have shared something a long time ago, and I don't know why I didn't....

Before I could even comprehend some of the things in the Tao Te Ching, I read a book called Everyday Tao. It uses ancient Chinese symbols to represent a lesson on each page. It's probably the best introduction into Taoism that you can get.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #304779 by
Taoism (or Daoism) is very hard to pin down. once you think you really understand it you don't, but keep on digging. It is so deep and vast and minute and precise and so vague at the same time, seemingly contradictory at times, but profound. I find that the best way to understand it is to talk with a Taoist master. I had studied out of books for years and it still didn't make sense to me until I found a teacher to help me understand it through conversations.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #304890 by
I can simplify it for you...

Everyday Tao —by Deng Ming-Dao

Water

When the ancients and their students stopped by a pure flowing stream, the teachers compared Tao to water.
Water is flowing. Every drop is made of the same substance. Whatever never fears being divided, because it knows it will flow back together in time. It is eternal.
Water is powerful. Although it can be soothing, comforting, and cleansing, it can also be enormous, mighty and overpowering. Its nature is constant. It is true to itself at any extreme.
Water is profound. In the depths of the lakes, in the darkness of the oceans, it holds all secrets. It is dangerous. It is mysterious. Yet life came from those depths.
Water is unafraid. For any height, it will plunge fearlessly down. It will fall and not be injured.
Water is balance. No matter what the situation is, water will see its own level as soon as it is left alone. Water will always flow downward to the most stable level. It conforms to any situation in a balanced way.
Water is nourishing. Without water, no plant and no living creature could survive.
Water is still. It can be completely still, and in its stillness, mirror heaven perfectly.
Water is pure. It is transparent, clear, needing neither adornment nor augmentation.

For all these features—to be flowing, powerful, profound, unafraid, balanced, nourishing, still, and pure—one who would follow Tao need only emulate water in every way.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi