Shaolin. & Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63128 by
Shaolin. & Jediism was created by
I have been talking with my master a lot about this topic and a recent message has brought this to my attention. I was just wondering how does the Shaolin relate to Jediism I have a few ideas that I understand and I was hoping to gain a bit more knowledge on this. *sidenote* I don't mean just the Monks and there Kung Fu style but back when Bodhidharma was a budist teacher. I know that this is more of a budist thing but any information would be great.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63244 by
Replied by on topic Re: Shaolin. & Jediism
I am a former Shaolin Kempo student, back when Grandmaster Demasco ran the United Studios of Self Defense. Grandmaster Demasco was awarded the right to teach Shaolin many years ago and when i first started writing about the jedi way back in 98 a lot of my work was influanced by Shaolin.

I would not consider myself a expert in shaolin, however if I can answer any questions for you please let me know.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63364 by
basically anything really I am extremely fascinated in the history of the shaolin would love to learn anything about it and how it applies to the Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63452 by
Shaolin Kung Fu will be as much as you want it to be... it's your journey...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63455 by
Shaolin Kempo
Shaolin Kempo is a modern martial art style that stems from Chinese Monks from the famous Shaolin Temple in china. The best definition of Shaolin Kempo is Shaolin Small Pine Forest, Kempo Law of the fist is taught at the United Studios of Self Defense, by Grand Master Steve Demasco. In late 2008 Grand Master left the USSD to start Shaolin Studios where he focuses more on the 5 traditional animals of Shaolin. In 2007 I earned my right to present myself as a black belt within the USSD, however after the changes Master Matera has done at the USSD, including elimination Grand Master Demasco from the roots of the USSD I severed all ties to my Shaolin Training.
Shaolin training is certainly more of a striking art then anything else with a heavy focus on hand techniques, however basic kicks are added to the training program. USSD students also train in ground defense and some grappling for take downs, however there skills would not hold up against grappling arts such as Jujitsu from Japan.

China The original Shaolin temple was built in the 4th century AD martial arts training started around A.D. 550. This style was created by an Indian monk named To Mo in order to get the monks in better physical condition. It was also To Mo’s go goal to create a cast of warrior monks who would be able to defend themselves as well as their temple from people who wished to do them harm. Although he died before this truly came into effect he left a lasting impression on every style of Martial arts today. It is often believed from those who study this art that Shaolin is the foundation on which all martial arts are built. Those who fallow this art do not just study the self defense aspect of the art, mental and spiritual development is also as important as the self defense side of the art. To be a warrior monk one had to show his understanding in spiritual matters, to be able to answer questions concerning china's history, being able to take about events, leaders, dynasties and what not. The final test they had to complete was the ordeal at Logan hall. They went through many chambers of a temple. In some places they had to defend themselves ageist other warrior monks. In one chamber they had to go through 112 wooden dummies that had knives, spears, clubs, or swords. These dummies where rigged to attack when trip wires where triggeered. Many of monks sustained great injuries or even death in this chamber. After they successfully made it through there they had to move a 500lb urn that was full of burning coals. (They had to rotate it not carry it) on the sides of this urn there where 2 brands either it was 2 dragons or a dragon and a tiger, there differing views of this. When the urn was moved the monks forearms where branded with these signs (1 on each side) a door would open or latch would be relieved and they would be done with their test. This part of the art is extremely power. The strikes very from hard to soft targets, or vital points of the body. It really is a good style to study and one that offers a great all around training. 5 Shaolin Animals Tiger - strong and powerful. - no blocking or defense they want to destroy what ever is in front of them - They will continue to attack until either they are there pray are dead Snake - fast, flexible, - what they lack in power they make up for in speed, they choice quick strikes and important targets. - prefers moving over blocking then a fast counter strike - The snake is often referred to as the inner chi Crane - Graceful and beautiful. - They are balanced at all times and seldom attack; they are focus more on defense. Leopard - bravery and martial ferocity at its key qualities. - strong waist and lower extremities - power and speed and swift strikes Dragon - represents the cultivation of the spirit. - Powerful, graceful in flexible -They focus on both rising and falling attacks as well circular movements.

Shaolin Monk Training Daily Routine of the Warrior Monks.

1. Energy collection or chi development
2. Meditation
3. Philosophy
4. Yoga
5. Nutrition, consisting of proper diet, healing arts and verbalism
6. The arts of punching, kicking and self defense combinations
7. push-pull arts 8. Jumping patterns permitting escape from danger with no physical contact This is a routine that anyone who wishes to become a Martial Artist should keep in mind. On top of their 8 Hours of Physical Training, they also spend 8 hours a day working in the temple. Of course there are a few things that you can change such as jumping patterns but use this as your Basic Outline.

....................................................................................................

This was taken from one of my old websites. I wrote it with regards to Shaolin Kempo, however the notes on Shaolin are still sound and to the point here. The training the monks endure to this day is still quite powerful for those who wish to walk the Jedi path, as is the testing one had to endure inorder to become a warrior monk.

If you would like I can send you a couple of websites that may assist you with some research on Shaolin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #63477 by
I've been practising Martial Arts for about 18 years and the Shaolin Monks have been a favourite subject of mine. Just to throw a curve ball into the mix; Several years ago I met this lad at a Freestyle Martial Arts tournament and he was the only practitioner of Kung Fu there. We had a long chat and one of things we talked about was the origin of Shaolin Kung Fu. He seemed to think that Bodhidharma actually had no influence on the Shaolin. The Shaolin were apparently already practising a form of Mahayana Buddhism and their Kung Fu was already a well defined and acknowledge form well before Bodhidharmas arrival. He also said Bodhidharma lived in a cave near the temple because he was refused entry, due to him being a rather angry person.

I have no idea how true what he told me is, but as he was only person I know of who thought this then I believe he may have it 'slightly' wrong. It helped past the time though. He subsequently lost in the first fight and left. I never saw him again after that.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi