My teacher on Meditation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119290 by
My teacher on Meditation was created by
The head of the Shambhala Buddhist lineage I study under, the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, has a video on Meditation that I find most illuminating.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ljV33lFzI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119462 by
Replied by on topic My teacher on Meditation
My god! Finally a simple explanation of meditation! Thanks for posting this, Connor. I found it to be very refreshing.

I've been trying to tell people that meditation can be as simple as sitting and closing your eyes, or that you can meditate while doing something, even as monotonous as washing dishes.

Anyway, he hit the nail on the head. Excellent video :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119490 by
This is not a bookmark to remind e to watch this before my meditation assignment.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119505 by
He is pretty awesome. haha.

Glad it's helping people!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119564 by
Thanks, I have a hard time with the idea of meditation. This helps a LOT.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119568 by

Connor Lidell wrote: The head of the Shambhala Buddhist lineage I study under, the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, has a video on Meditation that I find most illuminating.

Take a look:

He is able to communicate his ideas on his schools method of meditation quite clearly and effectively.

However it should be kept in mind there is NOT just one form of meditation, there are thousands.

They don't serve the same purpose, nor do they all get the same results.

I think this is important to keep in mind based on what you are hoping to accomplish via mediation.

Not all roads lead to Rome.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119576 by
No, his comment applies to every meditation, does it not?

What meditation does not fit the description he gives?

More
10 years 6 months ago #119577 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic My teacher on Meditation
A very simple explanation of a very overcomplicated matter.

Thanks for the post Connor

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119619 by

Connor Lidell wrote: No, his comment applies to every meditation, does it not?

What meditation does not fit the description he gives?

It is extremely important that we define what our goals actually are for practice then search for systems or schools that can provide that. It is very important to see where the top teachers of any school are at, what benefits their practice has provided them with and then honestly and sincerely to ask ourselves if this is what we are seeking and looking for in a practice. This is something almost no one actually does.

As to the forms of meditation which do not fit his description, this is best discussed in private.

I am not knocking your teacher. He does an excellent job of accurately, and succinctly explaining the form of meditation his school uses.

Unfortunately conventional wisdom in this matter is not true, there is no one form of meditation, all meditations are not the same, all meditations do not achieve the same results.

For example:

1. (at time 1:07) "Meditation can be done in 5 or 10 minute sessions."

This may absolutely be true for his school, but absolutely false for others.

2. (at time 1:13) "Meditation is not done in caves"

3. (at time 1:17) "Deep trance is not required for meditation"

4. (at time 1:21) "That's not the purpose of the practice and one doesn't need to do that"

I agree it is not the purpose of his schools form of meditation. I also agree one doesn't need to do that for his schools form of meditation. This however does not also mean it is not the purpose of any other schools that exist, nor does it mean it is not a requirement for any other school.

5. (at time 1:31) "really if one is sitting in a cave or sitting here it's the same mind"

From his schools viewpoint this is true, however there are certain requirements for being in such things as caves for some forms of meditation in various schools.

6. (at time 1:40-1:46) Paraphrased: "all meditation is the same, all teachers are the same, all systems are the same, a person could have saved a lot of money sticking to more commonly known practices"

Here I will have to disagree with your teacher. This just is not true. All meditation isn't the same, all schools and teachers are not the same, and all forms of meditation do not all do the same thing, and do not lead to the same results.

7. (at time 2:18) "It is my understanding that meditation is simply relating to your mind"

Yes and I would have to say his understanding is absolutely correct and valid for his schools form of meditation, however this isn't applicable to all other schools that exist. All forms of meditation are not being familiar and relating to your mind.

8. (at time 3:04) Paraphrased: "Via meditation I gain depth, wisdom, and understanding"

This is a common misconception, that ALL forms of meditation bring understanding, wisdom, knowledge, compassion, equanimity, etc. This is not the goal nor the outcome of ALL forms of meditation.

9. (at time 5:32) "Meditation is contemplation or familiarity with a subject..."

Yes this is absolutely true for his school, as his school defines and teaches it's form of meditation.

Not all forms of meditation meet this criteria, they are not about contemplating or being familiar with an idea or a concept.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119644 by
we get it maynoth, your school is superior, thank you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi