TOTJO Rites

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #146796 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic TOTJO Rites

Alexandre Orion wrote: The rites, as it could be made metaphor, are perhaps somewhat like different sectors of a hospital (the TotJO). We come here to heal from the accidents of Life. Yet, given our personal par-courses in getting here, we have all had different accidents. One may need Abrahamic heart-work, or Buddhist brain surgery, or Pagan proctology ( :P ) but the idea is to get well from the treatment -- not to stay in treatment for the rest of one's Life.

If one takes a modern Western view of treatment. If one takes a different view--the view, for example, that a proper treatment is a lifelong pursuit of wellness--then I disagree with your statement. I have a friend who practices t'ai chi, one who practices yoga, and one who monitors his diet regularly. Each does so with the understanding that by applying such a "treatment" to their lives, they are preventing problems in the future and not simply treating symptoms. The one will not give up yoga when she feels she's flexible enough, only to use it again later. The other won't abandon t'ai chi once her joints and back "recover". And the last one? If she goes back to eating the way she did before, it will be because she has chosen to disregard her goals rather than that he has reached them.

This is how I see the Rites, too. Yes, you may change during your stay. You may learn things you didn't know, and unlearn things you didn't need to know, and your initial Rite/SIG may no longer be something you want in your life. But i isn't that way for everyone, I don't believe. I don't really believe faith is a thing you "grow" out of unless you're presented with new, opposing information.

Alexandre Orion wrote: Now, that said, I'm not suggesting getting in good shape though the Jedi and then ditching us ...

I've heard an alarming number (but still less than ten) say that's "the best thing about TOTJO"; that it opens the doors for you to find out "where you really belong." That bothers me on a pretty fundamental level. If that is a more widespread belief than I have seen, I wonder what could be done about it?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 11 months ago #146802 by ren
Replied by ren on topic TOTJO Rites
The rites were abandoned as people were giving them far too much importance. Some people still identify with rites because that's how it was before, others emulate their masters. They were replaced with SIGs, which is more about people with common interests. Pureland is Jediism, and since that's the main focus of totjo, it's not a "special interest". I never thought humanist made sense when Jediism's there (or was it for people who "like" Jedi values but don't believe in the Force? Still doesn't justify separation from Jediism imo), Sith was abandoned for various reasons. this leaves pagan, eastern and abrahamic "faith" SIGs. The other forums (philosophy and science) appeared there later on.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Adder, Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146803 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Rites

ren wrote: I never thought humanist made sense when Jediism's there (or was it for people who "like" Jedi values but don't believe in the Force? Still doesn't justify separation from Jediism imo)

Agreed, it seems an unnecessary distinction. Pure Land Jediism as per the doctrine strikes me as inherently Humanist.

More
9 years 11 months ago #146860 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic TOTJO Rites
Even the SIGs are not really much of a 'thing' any more. I see them more as discussion areas than specific groups to which one belongs.

The name SIG indicates that anyone can partake in any SIG - it's about having an interest in learning more about something in particular, not about trying to categorize oneself. "I would like to discuss and learn more about Eastern philosophies", not "I AM A BUDDHIST JEDI".

We have three Special Interest Advisors but nowadays they are more there for personal, one-on-one guidance and expertise relating to the SIGs than for doing rolecalls and organizing team-bonding party games :laugh:

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Adder, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su

More
9 years 11 months ago #147833 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic TOTJO Rites
What about Shaman rite?
Native American rite?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #147835 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic TOTJO Rites
And, that's one reason why we did away with "rites"...

Can't cover every combination...;)

Most likely it would have been lumped under Pagan...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

More
9 years 11 months ago #147841 by Llama Su
Figured as much... Yet these rites could be considered a further or more different form of Pagan... Pagan is too general, considering the depth... :dry:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #147844 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic TOTJO Rites
Sure it is...

And as i said, part of the reason we did away with them...

The world is too vast, beliefs too numerous to be pigeonholed into 5-6 "rites"....

Or 5000-6000 rites....

People love their identities, and it leads away from the idea of "we are all jedi" by further separation...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Llama Su

More
9 years 11 months ago #147850 by Llama Su
I agree and see your point Master Jestor

I only am looking out for the ones looking to that... I do not want to do anyone a disservice, is all :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #148016 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Rites
Make it a part of your Way, put your "specialty" in your signature or profile, and talk to others of similar interest.

Maybe apply for a "Group" in the My TOTJO section?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by . Reason: Suggestion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi