Being official Jedi

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140943 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Being official Jedi
On my military paperwork I'm listed as "Other", but my dogtags were government made, ordered through my squadron's Unit Deployment Manager (UDM) and they list "Jediism"

I claim Jediism on my tags because my full/detailed religious beliefs wouldn't fit XD So I use Jediism as the big umbrella to put the rest under. They have a hard enough time fitting my name, much less "Christian, Shamanism, Jedi and Change" haha. I've incorporated ideas and beliefs from other religions into my personal faith. I wouldn't say that I'm "Bi-religious" (LOL love that) I'm just making my religion and beliefs work for me.

Rumor is "Jedi" was something you could put on your paperwork a little while back. But I hadn't looked for it until almost a year ago. But I don't hide my beliefs. I don't wander around verbally announcing that I'm a Jedi at every step either haha. But I've never seen anywhere else outside of the military that require you to state your religion. It pops up on the census too but it would be listed as "other" there as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140948 by
Replied by on topic Being official Jedi

steamboat28 wrote:

Adhara wrote: "Officially" I belong to the evangelic church and pay the taxes accordingly.

Taxes based on your church affiliation?

There is nothing that can't be taxed :D
Recognized churches have the right to collect taxes from their members.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140949 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Being official Jedi

Adhara wrote: Recognized churches have the right to collect taxes from their members.

Maybe it's my American upbringing, but I find this disturbing on multiple levels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140950 by
You can view it like a membership fee. In Germany mainly the evangelic and the catholic church collect taxes. I don't know how other religions handle it. They make a lot of money with it but they also have a lot of things to finance.
I can understand why they do it. It is German law, so if it is justified is another question. You can always secede from the church.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140951 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Being official Jedi
The church I grew up in did something similar. It was "known" that you "should" give a percentage of your pay check as offering to the church.

At least this is what I heard from my mom when I asked why she was writing a check. I never heard anything in the official channel XD

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #140952 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Being official Jedi
It's a different sort of thing here. I had this discussion the other day with a friend's wife who hates Christianity (despite knowing nothing at all about it), and had to explain to her that it's not mandatory here. It's highly implied that one should, but none of us have to*.

* not counting some notable exceptions, like Scientology.
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by steamboat28.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140963 by
Don't they have to reveal their finances in Germany? I know it's required by charities in England, the issue with the US (which I find very worrying and suspect) is that you don't have to reveal your finances as a charity.

A 'fee' of 10% is required for Latter Day Saints so I've been led to believe (I might be wrong). Monthly donations like these are the norm in Abrahamic religions at least.

Churches do a lot of work such as missionaries and charitable events etc which makes it entirely justified, the problem is that they don't have to reveal finances. I would be concerned if we (TotJO) began hiding our finances - it is against the spirit of honesty (not to mention accountability and transparency) in my opinion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140964 by
It's true. Many US charities misuse their funds because they do not have to reveal how much they give away, or who they pay off.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140971 by
No, they don't have to reveal finances at least not all of it. I'm no expert in this topic but you could calculate the amount of money they get through the taxes. The exact usage of every cent is not known. They also have other "financial resources".

However that has nothing to do with the original question :)

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140972 by Alethea Thompson
Sometimes you can talk your S-1 (or equivalent) admins into getting you Jediism put on, but those that will are few and far between- in the Army. There was a guy in the Marine Corps that couldn't get his to do so either. So it's up to the person you talk to, if they follow regulations you will not get Jediism/Jedi on your tags, period. It's not official until they recognize Jediism officially.

And when I get back in, I may find myself reworking on the issue with the Chaplain Corps. :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi