Journals and finding a teaching master

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137526 by
For John, he and I actually didn't have much contact before he took me on. In fact, I had never spoken to him directly for the longest time. I did my IP, participated in all the discussions I could, and then, one day, I got a message: "I can help you further your training here." It was pretty much as low key and simple as that. I responded: "Wonderful! Sounds great."

And, the rest is history.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 2 months ago #137527 by Jestor
Long, short, what I think is more important, is what does it say?

What does the person mean, sometimes, some people can get the same idea out in less words, sometimes, there are not enough words to adequately get the thought out...

We do try to read every journal, but, knights are always at the disadvantage, as there is always more Novice, and initiates...

There are initiates who have been there for a LONG time....

Activity... This is a key, I think ...

Seeing how people respond in the forums to subjects like 'dark' subjects, or, gun control, personal demons, whatever...

But, a master should always have read the journal...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137528 by
I was and am very quiet in the forums, I don't post often and my journal entries are short and to the point. RyuJin and I had not spoken much before he took me on as an Apprentice. Same goes for me and my Apprentices, we spoke a little bit before but not much.

The journals of quiet and introverted people are very important "sources" for teaching masters. If one takes part in forum discussions and is in chat, then those are very good additions to the information from a journal.
Don't worry about it too much, Ve-Lo-Zi, you will know when it is time :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137529 by
Thank you for your replies. As a sidequestion, is it better to keep the journal entries limited to the IP assignments or should I post my (non-IP related) thoughts etc. there too :unsure:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 2 months ago #137531 by Jestor

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: Thank you for your replies. As a sidequestion, is it better to keep the journal entries limited to the IP assignments or should I post my (non-IP related) thoughts etc. there too :unsure:

I think both...:)

I like to see both... But, that could be me...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Wescli Wardest, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137561 by
I always prefer both because otherwise you're only showing that you're "ticking the boxes" rather than really engaging with the whole philosophy/doctrine/community, but.. I'm just an Apprentice :laugh:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 2 months ago #137562 by Jestor

tzb wrote: I always prefer both because otherwise you're only showing that you're "ticking the boxes" rather than really engaging with the whole philosophy/doctrine/community, but.. I'm just an Apprentice :laugh:

Excellent point...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 2 months ago #137563 by Alexandre Orion
For me, there's the journal of course ...

... but I like to see how one feels and thinks (then feels about their thinkings and thinks about their feelings) on other things too.

Then again, I'm sort of an Ol'Bastard.

:P

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Zenchi

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #137564 by Ben

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: Thinking about this topic further, I was just wondering what is more important to a teaching master or knight: Is it the quality of the journal or the personal contact which plays a larger role when you accept someone as an apprentice?

It's different for everyone...

Personally - I look for a sense of personal connection. This can be found through either the journal, or contact, or a combination of both. Ideally it's good to have some personal contact, but sometimes a connection becomes evident over time, sometimes it's immediate (and thus prolongued personal contact doesn't have to be essential). I'd like to feel as though I'm on a similar kind of wavelength with my Apprentices - which doesn't necessarily mean that we would have the same ideas or opinions, but that I think we would be able to understand each other and communicate in a way that promotes mutual growth and learning.

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: As a sidequestion, is it better to keep the journal entries limited to the IP assignments or should I post my (non-IP related) thoughts etc. there too :unsure:

I also like both. It helps you to get to know the direction of someone's thoughts when they are not under an obligation to talk about something in particular. In essence, I find non-IP posts help me to feel as though I know more about a person.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi