Journals and finding a teaching master

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136617 by
I was just looking at how many members write new journal entries for the IP daily and I was wondering how the potential masters can keep track of all of that? In the FAQs it says that they do pay attention to all journals but if I look at the "Thank you" notices on the bottom of some journal posts it gives me the impression that certain Knights and Masters are just regularly following the progress of one or two specific Novices, perhaps those that they are already thinking about taking on as apprentices?

It is also written in the FAQs that posts like "I need a Master" will be deleted which is a policy I fully understand. However, it did lead me to the question how things continue once the IP is completed. Can I then approach a specific Knight or Master I feel a connection with and ask him/her if he/she is willing to take me as an apprentice or do I have to wait until I am approached by a someone?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136621 by steamboat28

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: I was just looking at how many members write new journal entries for the IP daily and I was wondering how the potential masters can keep track of all of that? In the FAQs it says that they do pay attention to all journals but if I look at the "Thank you" notices on the bottom of some journal posts it gives me the impression that certain Knights and Masters are just regularly following the progress of one or two specific Novices, perhaps those that they are already thinking about taking on as apprentices?

While some teaching masters may check up on them more regularly, I think for the most part, it's checked for completion at the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

More
10 years 2 months ago #136622 by Wescli Wardest
I would suggest to everyone that is interested in participating in an apprenticeship to be social, post when you have an opinion or something to contribute to a conversation and get to know all the members. (You can approach someone you feel a conection to or maybe they will approach you ;))

We do try and look at all journals (at least most of us do) and for each person, their tastes will determine what it is they leave a “thank you” on. Sometimes I send PM’s to individuals instead of leaving thank you or in addition to a thank you. But it varies for each training master. We each have our ways I guess. :P

But once the IP part of the journal is complete and you tell me that you’ve completed the IP the journal is submitted for review. Then, every knight (and up) has an opportunity to look through the whole thing. So even if a particular journal may not seem to get a lot of attention at one point; before all is said and done it will be gone over completely. ;)

I hope this helps some and I will be happy to answer any question or elaborate more. :D

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Llama Su,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136623 by
I think it varies from Master to Master. For example, two Knights followed my IP from the start... and I'm not apprenticed to either of them. Sometimes people just like what you write :) there needn't be more to it than that.

As to what happens after completing the IP, my suggestion would be to keep reading, and keep posting in your Journal. Stay active and interested, basically. It's supposedly considered bad form to approach a Teaching Master directly, but I think it happens more than people generally admit :whistle: you only get to be apprenticed once. Sometimes you need to just bite the bullet and ask the awkward question, I think. Just be prepared for a "no" ;)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 2 months ago #136625 by Jestor

Stay active and interested

but I think it happens more than people generally admit :whistle: you only get to be apprenticed once. Sometimes you need to just bite the bullet and ask the awkward question, I think. Just be prepared for a "no" ;)

Yep...;)

I have chatted with my apprentices a bit before discussing apprenticeship....

And, there are many who I would take, but, due to the amount of work an apprneticeship can take, right now, we limit it to two apprentices... Although considerations can be made...

Some of us have three, becasue our others are not here to often...

The more one is here, obviously, the more time needs to be commited from the knight... We as Knights can only offer the lessons, the apprentice has to 'do the work'...

But, there is nothing wrong with PMing a Knight, and striking up a conversation, or even an apprentice that you happen to get along with, because that apprentice, will be a knight...;)

My master and I had many conversations before I was selected as an apprentice....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136642 by
I was actually friends with my master as well about a month before I finished the IP. We just started talking and realized we both like gaming, so we started playing together. So yeah... a lot of times it can just happen that way too. Being social and getting to know people is definitely the best way, I think.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136645 by
I'm just really starting to get to know people here, and as busy as most people are with everyday life, I'm starting to think my journal entries are WAY TOO LONG for anyone to have time to read. :laugh:

I better find someone who really likes long winded answers...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136646 by
perhaps now is a good time to explain why i havent taken an apprentice yet, despite there being a noticeably low ratio of teaching masters to willing initiates.

when my girlfriend moved out in late november, she took the laptop with her. so i was down to my craptastic smartphone and whatever time i could scrounge to do this while at work, like now. so that lack of technological interoperability lasted til mid last month, when i almost simultaneously got a new laptop (just like the old one, a toshiba, which i was used to) and a google nexus 5 smartphone. im back in the game, i say, then promptly drop yogurt on the keyboard. while cleaning it, the dog decides to eat the x key.

fml, right?

so the comp is in the shop now, for an inordinately long time, getting a new keyboard. all that tech crap aside, i am pretty busy these days. all that together, and it would be a disservice to any given initiate or apprentice for me to try to shepherd them through these dark days in the role of teaching master, at least for the time being. not that i am not willing, just for the moment, unable to do so adequately. or at least adequately by my own standards. which are pretty freakin high.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137521 by
Thinking about this topic further, I was just wondering what is more important to a teaching master or knight: Is it the quality of the journal or the personal contact which plays a larger role when you accept someone as an apprentice? I for example really try and put quite a lot of work into my journal entries but browsing around I've seen journals of others who only wrote very short on each topic and still became apprentices almost instantly after completing the IP. So I was just asking myself if there are somewhat "fixed" standards to qualify for an apprenticeship? Or is it entirely up to the individual master/knight?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137524 by
As far as I understand it, journals play a large role. But the selection process necessarily differs between knights. I know that I had not spoken with master akkarin very much , and had been an initiate for a few months, before he decided to take me as an apprentice. And speaking for myself, I can be very meticulous. For example for one of my apprentice assignments, I interviewed wescli and Alethea Thompson. To prep for this, I read every single one of their posts here ( and some elsewhere in aletheas case) to formulate good questions. I will probably do the same to whoever I take as an apprentice. Ask a lot of questions. Well researched ones. Then based on those answers, as well as any on site interaction, make a decision.

It'll be fun. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi