OK to disagree with an IP material?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124577 by
So, I'm listening to The Field, and... I'm really not buying it. Meaning no disrespect to anyone else's beliefs, it strikes me as deeply unscientific whilst masquerading as science, profoundly cherry-picked and also hugely biased to support the author's existing source of income, a newsletter claiming conventional medicine is aimed to "keep" the truth from us.

Perhaps you can understand my concern. I don't believe McTaggart has found the Force. I frankly don't believe McTaggart at all. But I do believe in the Force, I (aim to) live within it, experience it in my life every day. I also believe in the tenets, code, creed and teachings of this temple. So far I've agreed with pretty much everything else I've encountered in the IP, Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts have spoken complete sense, but this one just doesn't fit for me.

What I'm asking is am I going to be deemed not to have successfully completed the IP if one of my essays is almost entirely negative? I'm going to give reasons, and explain exactly why I feel the way I do in response to the lecture, but... is that still within acceptable temple parameters?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #124579 by Br. John

tzb wrote: So, I'm listening to The Field, and... I'm really not buying it. It's deeply unscientific, profoundly cherry-picked and also hugely biased to support the author's existing source of income, a newsletter claiming conventional medicine is aimed to "keep" the truth from us.

Perhaps you can understand my concern. I don't believe McTaggart has found the Force. I frankly don't believe McTaggart at all. But I do believe in the Force, I (aim to) live within it, experience it in my life every day. So far I've agreed with pretty much the rest of the IP, Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts have spoken complete sense and this just doesn't fit for me.

What I'm asking is am I going to be deemed not to have successfully completed the IP if one of my essays is almost entirely negative? I'm going to give reasons, and explain exactly why I feel the way I do in response to the lecture, but... is that still within acceptable temple parameters?

Yes.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124580 by
Thanks for clarifying.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124581 by
I don't believe that disagreement with any of the sections of the IP will deem you unfit to continue, so long as you express your feelings toward why you feel this way.

Perhaps you should delve further and explore the cherry picked references and see how valid they are, I would be interested to read your findings.

If you are worried, you should PM one of the council, Jestor or Ren will no doubt have an answer for you, I'm sure you'll find everyone very forthcoming with information.

(edit)
*just realized Br, John beat me to an answer to this question, Ignore my comments, though I would be interested to read your findings nonetheless, I personally quite liked the field and found it for the most part entirely believable*
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

More
10 years 5 months ago #124584 by Kit
Part of the reason I decided to become a Jedi is so I'd be permitted to think for myself. Now I can't say I've seen this written in any of the doctrine but to me, the whole environment of the Temple seems to be geared in that direction.

That being said, free thinkers don't always agree with each other. Especially with something as abstract as the Force.

I JUST got done listening to The Field not a moment ago and I was fascinated. But I'm one of those that go "Ooo shiny!" first unless I know something to be otherwise haha. I'm with Leon, if you ever do the research on it all, I'd love to hear about it!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124586 by

Br. John wrote:

tzb wrote: So, I'm listening to The Field, and... I'm really not buying it. It's deeply unscientific, profoundly cherry-picked and also hugely biased to support the author's existing source of income, a newsletter claiming conventional medicine is aimed to "keep" the truth from us.

Perhaps you can understand my concern. I don't believe McTaggart has found the Force. I frankly don't believe McTaggart at all. But I do believe in the Force, I (aim to) live within it, experience it in my life every day. So far I've agreed with pretty much the rest of the IP, Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts have spoken complete sense and this just doesn't fit for me.

Yes.

I imagine the "yes" was "yes, it's okay to disagree"??
Not that, yes - you will be deemed unsuccessful.

I can't say I necessarily agreed with it, myself..

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124589 by
To be fair, my hideously tortured sentence there didn't help... :laugh:

More
10 years 5 months ago #124591 by Wescli Wardest

Attachment hf918692.jpg not found

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Lykeios Little Raven, , Amaya,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124592 by
Retribution! It stings!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124593 by

Reliah wrote: I can't say I necessarily agreed with it, myself..

How about the remote viewing part ?? "Force Communication" Master ?? surely you believe there must be some truth in that after all of our conversations regarding the subject.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi