Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #349838 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Block
This is a valid point Carlos. This though like many things carries over into all fields of life. Say for example (and this is personal exp), you start a career. As you move up the chain you see more and more the responsibilities. You don't mind them too much it's just part of the job. As you move on though and you self reflect you begin to see that it is effecting your actions more than just in the work place. This is where one can lose center and slowly begin building both good and bad habits. It is ones responsibility to check these habits, habitually to ensure their actions line up with the ideals they themselves hold. Unfortunately it is difficult to put in action. I look at my practice of Jediism in this way too. If it is taking me away from family, friends and pushing me further from what I believe is the Force than I will make dramatic changes to ensure I line up with how I feel on those ideas as pertains to my idealistic reality. Note: Idealistic reality is not obtainable only a goal to work towards.

Just 2 cents.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 1 month ago #349840 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic The Block
Well put Kobos - I think with Jediism's emphasis on the personal path, the immediate surroundings sometimes suffer. This is up to the individual, however.

I've personally drawn some consequences here and have recently become a modern Heathen.

Apart from the fact that my ancestors (probably - hard to tell after 1500 years :) were part of the Germanic mythological part of the world and that I still live in that area today - and welcome spiritual influences that aren't foreign to me - the Hearth, Frith and the gift circle is what's been drawing me there.

While I think that the idea of the Force in Jediism (or at least my way of looking at it) is quite compatible with the core idea of Wyrd, sometimes I wish that our lessons here contained more elements about connecting with our family, our ancestors and our communities. We're taught that we can be of great help to others as Jedi, but even in Star Wars itself the idea of strong family ties is marginally mentioned at best.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 1 month ago #349843 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic The Block
I’ve got to disagree. Family is great if you’ve got a good one, but not everyone does. Many people, correctly, must remove themselves from their families in order to live happily. Filial piety isn’t something that I generally care for at all.
And I have just never understood ancestor reverence. My ancestors were just people, they had plenty of faults. I wouldn’t be here without them, but I don’t expect anyone to revere me, so I don’t see why I would revere someone just because they’re responsible for me existing.
Take it for what you will, but if the temple started supporting filial piety and ancestor reverence as part of the doctrine or IP, I would find it off-putting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Cyan Sarden, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 month ago #349846 by
Replied by on topic The Block
It is said that blood is thicker than water to be sure, but most never actually understand this cuz this is not the full quote. the actual quote is “The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” It means that chosen family is a stronger connection than genetic connection. I think if a person has issues with family its only their fault because they are choosing the wrong family. And as for ancestors that are dead I think its not about worship or whatever, its about what is believed about them. many believe that those that came before and departed become interpretors to us for the Gods and so its very important to pay attention and keep focus. so for the jedi what does it mean? maybe those before have gone to the force to prepare for us a better place? that's something to appreciate I think!

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #349852 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic The Block

Fyxe wrote: It is said that blood is thicker than water to be sure, but most never actually understand this cuz this is not the full quote. the actual quote is “The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” It means that chosen family is a stronger connection than genetic connection. I think if a person has issues with family its only their fault because they are choosing the wrong family. And as for ancestors that are dead I think its not about worship or whatever, its about what is believed about them. many believe that those that came before and departed become interpretors to us for the Gods and so its very important to pay attention and keep focus. so for the jedi what does it mean? maybe those before have gone to the force to prepare for us a better place? that's something to appreciate I think!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_is_thicker_than_water

Ive heard this statement in a song or two on the country side of the genre. One of the Joys of modern day Jediism is that not every one has to agree with everything. Understanding that - that the human potential is available in every one of us -can cause understanding of this very thing. What you do with the same information can be totally different than how I taste it. Adding value can be in the same realm for me. Ive personally walked away from a few familys myself and a few members. I understand where your at. Its not easy to practice new with old present often. Its like dancing with the dead some days. Some days removal is cultivation. You dont have to agree and even see things one specific way. There are other ways. Thats one of the greatest statements I've made in the real world to real people. There are others ways to do things. The value of hearth and home differ from person to person. Some folk travel more and its the open sky as their home. I know them well. How and which connections are made... those are the ones I wanna know about really. Theories are fine but for me, I ask what do those connections do and those type of lines... do they help some times? Can we benefit from checking those types of tings in our Jediistic paths? And in our every day lifes.

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, TheDude

More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #349856 by Cyan Sarden
Agreed - if you can't live in peace with your family, either because you're the problem or the family, it's better to find a new community than to suffer endlessly. I also don't subscribe to the "folkish" views some Heathens in the right-wing area of things seem to share. Family and community is an open construct - what counts is the bonds, not where the person comes from.

Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by Cyan Sarden.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #349857 by Cyan Sarden
The chosen family CAN offer stronger bonds than one's blood line. Not in every case, though and generalizing here is probably not appropriate.

The ancestry cult has more to do with Wyrd than with worship. The idea being that the actions (and non-actions) of our ancestors have a direct influence on our place in the world. Overall, I wouldn't personally call talking to the Gods "worship" as the Gods aren't considered to be some strange aliens that live in a different realm and you need to always please them in order to secure yourself a seat in paradise. The ancestors souls are believed to still be around - so honoring them for what they have given to us is important. It's also completely normal not to honor ancestors who have not been beneficial or even detrimental to one's Wyrd (or perhaps place in the Force, from a more Jedi point of view)

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #349858 by Cyan Sarden

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_is_thicker_than_water

Ive heard this statement in a song or two on the country side of the genre. One of the Joys of modern day Jediism is that not every one has to agree with everything. Understanding that - that the human potential is available in every one of us -can cause understanding of this very thing. What you do with the same information can be totally different than how I taste it. Adding value can be in the same realm for me. Ive personally walked away from a few familys myself and a few members. I understand where your at. Its not easy to practice new with old present often. Its like dancing with the dead some days. Some days removal is cultivation. You dont have to agree and even see things one specific way. There are other ways. Thats one of the greatest statements I've made in the real world to real people. There are others ways to do things. The value of hearth and home differ from person to person. Some folk travel more and its the open sky as their home. I know them well. How and which connections are made... those are the ones I wanna know about really. Theories are fine but for me, I ask what do those connections do and those type of lines... do they help some times? Can we benefit from checking those types of tings in our Jediistic paths? And in our every day lifes.

Agreed - it's not just one of the privileges of Jediism - it's one of the fundamental rights (free choice of one's beliefs) that our ancestors fought for extremely hard. It's also one of those privileges that are most frequently undermined by interest groups and governments.

This discussion here would have been completely unthinkable 100 years ago. Close to everyone in Europe and the US was a Christian. Leaving the Christian faith behind and returning to our old faiths (in the case of Europe - the immigration part of the US has always been Christian) would have been impossible and might very well have cost us our lives. Newly emerging faiths, such as Jediism, would have been illegal.

So when we make our choices as far as faiths go, let's keep in memory those who died for this privilege throughout history. Jediism is sometimes belittled (as are many new faiths), Heathenry is frowned upon because some pigs during the 2nd World War stole our symbols and used them for their own sinister word views that had nothing to do with the faith at all - but today if you wear Dunner / Thor's hammer as a pendant, people will think you're a Nazi.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #349994 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic The Block
The brand of happiness

I have this cereal I like. It has strawberries in the bran flakes. That is my favorite and that’s my cup of tea. Our local corner store has different names and different people who make different styles of it. As a child, I grew up attached to the TV. To this day I still suffer from the “brand” war in my heart. For some things I don’t need a fancy name or a fancy box. Sometimes it matters not who makes it or where it comes from. But some things do. I have a favorite Ice cream and a favorite place to get my favorite type of ice cream. ( Mc Donald’s soft serve vanilla cup - I’m simple)
I have found that some times happiness come in different forms and brands. Some days most anything will do for me. A smile and a giggle suffices. A big ol bag of flakes and strawberries will do just nice. Fill me a big bowl and let me dig in. Some days - it CAN matter. There are and can be different types of happy in our path. In the world for sure but in our very own Modern day Jediism we can find a wide range of things. Levels and quality of happiness is real. There is a bliss or a level of content that can come from things I am just now enjoying for the first time myself. Example. Any parent will tell you that feeling when your child sees their first anything - It changes people forever at the sight of their love for the first time. They are never the same. When I go to the store - some days I know what I’m looking for- some days I don’t. The same can be said about our own bliss. Sometimes a tickle will do, some times it won’t. A LOL or a real knee jerking out burst of sound - be smart Jedi - some days call for different things. Know when you need which and what is what. Knowing ourselves is great and knowing what we need can be tough but here’s a helpful hint - some times the brand matters - sometimes we need a certain type of love or a type of forgiveness or - there some that need to know which is which. It takes practice but take some time to think about this - what ya need and what type ya need is just as important some days.
Some days we may need a note - or a hug - or a kiss - or something more. Either way - lets be smart and let’s remember - levels - brands - ways - some times there’s a bit more ... if we are willing to try.
Some times we may need a bit more or a bit less. Know your balance and know where you stand. Know what ya need - what brand and what it is.

It helps friends. Can it help a few more - prolly. Something to think about this week. One of the best ways I display my practice is through my actions. How - we act can matter. Some times it dosnt. But those days that need that idea in them - we can see them and we can be that Jeddist that knows ...

Teaching 13

13. Jedi cultivate empathy. We try to view things from another’s perspective making us sensitive listeners. We provide the confidence people need when talking through their difficulties and we share our learning with those who would benefit. We do this to help create a more harmonious society.

We live in it too... Your brand - what ya need and what your giving.... take some time to think about that this week you Modern day Jeddist.
Pastor Carlos.
Feel free to post ideas and comments here any time - all are welcome.

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi