• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129871 by
Replied by on topic Abrahamic Rites Roll Call

Leandros Von wrote:

Star Forge wrote: Allahu Akbar!

الله هو استعارة

okay... sure have your taoist or buddhist views but he is expressing a muslim sentiment. They have similar theology in regards to apathetic roots, sure. But islam and the dharmic religions have evolved into very different theological structures.

Now you can either respect that or use condescending ignorance lol.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129879 by
Do you know what it says ??

It's actually written in Arabic (which i thought star forge would understand since he is obviously a follower of Islam), translation of which would show I was not being condescending here but in actuality accepting his expression of faith and expressing my feelings on how I liken it to my own Jediist belief.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129884 by

sidvkili wrote:

Leandros Von wrote:

الله هو استعارة

okay... sure have your taoist or buddhist views but he is expressing a muslim sentiment. They have similar theology in regards to apathetic roots, sure. But islam and the dharmic religions have evolved into very different theological structures.

It seems like I'm always causing controversy even when I'm not! :)

Sid, thanks for having my back, but I don't think his intent is hostile. I didn't know what to make of it at first, but I don't get into religious arguments or fights (never thought you'd hear a Muslim say that!).

I actually don't understand Arabic, and many if not most Muslims outside of the Arab world don't either. I ran it through Google translate, and at first didn't know if it was meant as mockery or a show of solidarity.

The reason I suspected some hostility is due to the fact that the Takbir is a controversial phrase. Just recently, senator John McCain had to set some Fox News anchors straight about it :http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/04/john-mccain-explains-why-allahu-akbar-shouldnt-freak-you-out/

In reality, all it means is "God is greater." In Arabic, Allah just means "God." Palestinian Christians call God "Allah." So do all Arabic speaking Christians. I wasn't making a forceful statement of Islam, just thought it was more creative than saying "I'm a Muslim."

It's interesting, a Dharmic sentiment expressed in the Arabic language, in the Arabic script. To me, it's an interesting show of solidarity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129896 by

Leandros Von wrote: Do you know what it says ??

It's actually written in Arabic (which i thought star forge would understand since he is obviously a follower of Islam), translation of which would show I was not being condescending here but in actuality accepting his expression of faith and expressing my feelings on how I liken it to my own Jediist belief.

why the hell would I have responded if I didn't know what it says? And thanks, sherlock for a minute there I was confused as to why you were writing in klingon.

And I got confused on that. Looked like critique on my end.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129898 by

Star Forge wrote:

sidvkili wrote:

Leandros Von wrote:

الله هو استعارة

It seems like I'm always causing controversy even when I'm not! :)

Sid, thanks for having my back, but I don't think his intent is hostile. I didn't know what to make of it at first, but I don't get into religious arguments or fights (never thought you'd hear a Muslim say that!).

I actually don't understand Arabic, and many if not most Muslims outside of the Arab world don't either. I ran it through Google translate, and at first didn't know if it was meant as mockery or a show of solidarity.

The reason I suspected some hostility is due to the fact that the Takbir is a controversial phrase. Just recently, senator John McCain had to set some Fox News anchors straight about it :http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/04/john-mccain-explains-why-allahu-akbar-shouldnt-freak-you-out/

In reality, all it means is "God is greater." In Arabic, Allah just means "God." Palestinian Christians call God "Allah." So do all Arabic speaking Christians. I wasn't making a forceful statement of Islam, just thought it was more creative than saying "I'm a Muslim."

It's interesting, a Dharmic sentiment expressed in the Arabic language, in the Arabic script. To me, it's an interesting show of solidarity.

So It's solidarity simply because he expressed it in arabic? What if I said " f*ck god" in arabic? lol

And nobody saw it as a forceful statement, I studied theology and islam along with it and actually have been to a masjid a fair few times. I know when a muslim is forceful lol.

Now granted it was solidarity, just left unclear lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129917 by

Star Forge wrote: It's interesting, a Dharmic sentiment expressed in the Arabic language, in the Arabic script. To me, it's an interesting show of solidarity.

I seen your Allahu Akbar quote and thought perhaps I should try to connect with this person rather than jumping on what most folk I know would view as a statement of hatred, rather than starting an argument it made more sense to show you I respect your individual belief system as a part of my own.

You are a wise one indeed Star Forge, I believe I jumped to conclusion on post's I seen previously made by you when I was at the start of my training, this in hindsight was judgmental on my behalf and something I am currently working to rectify.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129926 by
In a secondary response to yourself Star Forge...

I intended to use the good old Yoda quote "for my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is". only supplement the ally for Allah.

So into Google translate I go and I get this....

لبلدي الله هو القوة والله هو القوي

when translating it back however I get...

"God is my strength and God is strong"

A completely made up quote, based upon a combination of my sense of humor and a work of fiction, translated into an ancient language and finding itself profound in it's wisdom.

Beautiful imho.
(make of it what you will).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135107 by
As a Christian, I would include myself in this rite. I am currently studying theology at university.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #146914 by
Ubarikiwe waumini wa Mungu! I am a Christian and appreciate this Rite. I'm glad to share my faith and open to yours. Let's commune!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #210171 by
Here. I'm a Lutheran Christian who also follows certain Buddhist practices, so I reckon I'm Abrahamic and Dharmic.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi