[Announcements] Ren as SysAdmin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229603 by
Replied by on topic [Announcements] Ren as SysAdmin
Why was this even an issue. Ren does his job and that's it he's occasionally an ass but so is jestor and for that matter so am I lol

Who really cares?

We all have different personalities it's life.

Ren does his job. And he's been doing so for as long as I can remember weather formally or not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #229606 by Edan
Many conversations, discussions, etc. go on in private which means that those who understand Jestor's initial post and the purpose of it will understand. No-one else is likely to, and it's not going to be discussed here.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Kit, Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229612 by

Br. John wrote: People do not understand Ren. He is misunderstood all the time. I wish I could explain it. Unusual for me to know something but lack the words. This won't satisfy anyone but - if you understand Ren no explanation is necessary; if you don't no explanation is possible.

I understand , i dont need an explanation as to wheter there is a trust issue here, Ren is of big value to this communtiy and hence to be trusted . I for one am happy that he has taken on this task. Thank you Ren :kiss: a big smoooch on the cheek for you. There i did it loll

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229639 by
Ren will, no doubt, do an exceptional job as he has been doing over these many months.

His technical expertise has contributed to the quality and clarity of our Temple website.

Thanks for everything you do, Ren.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 1 month ago #229641 by RyuJin
eh, i'm certainly not fussed over it....

anyone that's been here long enough knows how much ren does for totjo, sure he's an "aquired taste" so to speak, but you get used to him after a while....

i remember when he used to have the phrase "warning: may cause abrasiveness" (or something to that extent) under his avatar...i looked at it as an obvious warning label... :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion

More
8 years 1 month ago #229653 by Tellahane

Jestor wrote: ren is in charge of the site security from hacking, and upgrading our software... to keep us running smoothly...

he has upgraded this site twice (right?) and had to build each site, then import everything to the new site...

The free software, as I was just explaining via PM, is full of holes...

And, available to everyone...

So, if someone plays with joomla, or Kunena, and is just 'seeing what they can do', sometimes, they find holes, and come looking for websites to 'try their skillz' out on, and see if it can access anything...

ren is constantly a step ahead of them so far... We have been attacked, albeit a few years ago now, and could see folks trying to get into our admin department though the obvious doors...

It is a game of chess, and constant preparedness...

The EXACT reason I do a lot of custom writing for all the sites I build that people have money to pay for anyway, I know too many people who will use wordpress or joomla or some such and just build a site using it and throw it up there for 1/4th the cost of what they charge and bank the rest, and then deal with the headaches of hacking and all the other problems down the road.

I custom write all the big projects I work on so I know it's secure and what to test for. Actually my favorite part is leaving "Traps" in the code that makes it look like you got access but didn't, and watching the logs of people trying to abuse the traps.

Open Source is only as good as you can keep it updated and as people update the code, it's a lot of work, I'm sure ren is fairly busy on a regular basis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 1 month ago #229659 by ren
Replied by ren on topic [Announcements] Ren as SysAdmin

Edan wrote: Many conversations, discussions, etc. go on in private which means that those who understand Jestor's initial post and the purpose of it will understand. No-one else is likely to, and it's not going to be discussed here.

Actually... I don't understand it either ?! Possibly because no-one's actually asked me anything about it?!

But I do appreciate the loves and smooches.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229665 by
I heard it said this way once...

If I had a heavy load to pull, I'd hitch my cart to that ass!

Love you Ren!

More
8 years 1 month ago #229668 by Alexandre Orion

Firewolf wrote: Why was this even an issue. Ren does his job and that's it he's occasionally an ass but so is jestor and for that matter so am I lol

Who really cares?

We all have different personalities it's life.

Ren does his job. And he's been doing so for as long as I can remember weather formally or not.

:ohmy:

Hey ! I'm an arse-hole too ! Don't forget me ... ! :(

B)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229672 by
Yes Alex you are lol :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi