2020 Protests

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352403 by
Replied by on topic 2020 Protests
The one question I always have, and could be due to simple ignorance, is what should we do? With this as the example, what do the protestors want us to do? I know the cop in question was arrested, please correct me if I am wrong, but what do they want beyond that? If anything? I am hoping it will deescalate with the cops arrest, as that is something that I definitely think was 1000% warranted.

EDIT: For clarification I mean more so in what can we do. I am not the greatest at phrasing questions, but with that in mind do they want a law passed to prevent this? If so, what and how would it be enforced? There are so many questions I hope get answered when this is over or at least more civil.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by . Reason: Clarification

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352404 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic 2020 Protests
Saw an interview yesterday by a Australian reporter to a protester there, and that was asked... the answer was a prosecution was wanted, as charges are often laid but only slaps on wrists given (apparently).

The obvious issue with that is due process takes time, but that detail gets segwayed by the other narratives around this sensitive topic. Next thing you know its all Police are racist warmongers and they're out to kill you so lets burn everything down and kick heads in as if its a solution to the problem, and as if that was the problem to begin with. The whole starting fires to distract from the match, because the match is either not big enough or burns too slow, for the desired purpose.

Obviously not helped when even the prosecutions take a long time, or don't happen! The main go-to seems to be that cultural racism still exists and some sort of solution either doesn't exist or doesn't exist yet. I'm not sure these protesters are really pretending to have an answer though for what they see as the problem, but rather appealing to those who can do something about (at any level) to ensure they do do something about it, from the individual up. Unfortunately I'm not sure those that don't, will see this as anything more than justification for their own entrenched bigotry, so it seem's a little off the mark... but perhaps it still has usefulness!? Worth a shot so long as no-one gets hurt, no pun intended.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352405 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic 2020 Protests
Below this text is a spoiler of the names of African Americans killed either by cops or those trying to be cops:

Warning: Spoiler!

The frustrating thing about this is not that it has happened. But that this happens with such regularity, with aquitals, with slaps on the wrist, with not even going to trial, that it produces helplessness, feelings of powerlessness.

If you'll look here at the chart at this link, this is a timeline of African American history in America
https://images.app.goo.gl/PeB89jveDL5hCxw4A

I'm not really asking you to look at it from the perspective of an African American. Consider that for all those years the following ideas have been conditioned in our society concerning us:

We are three-fifths of a person: : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise (colloquially 3/5ths of a person)

We have no right which white men are bound to respect: http://bostonreview.net/law-justice/walter-johnson-no-rights-which-white-man-bound-respect

That we are some how not a part of the human family:
See David Walker's Appeal in which he says:

"But to prove farther that the condition of the Israelites was better under the Egyptians than ours is
under the whites. I call upon the professing Christians, I call upon the philanthropist, I call upon the
very tyrant himself, to show me a page of history, either sacred or profane, on which a verse can be found,
which maintains, that the Egyptians heaped the insupportable insult upon the children of Israel, by telling them that they were not of the human family. Can
the whites deny this charge? Have they not, after having reduced us to the deplorable condition of slaves
under their feet, held us up as descending originally
from the tribes of Monkeys or Orang- Outangs?O! my
God! I appeal to every man of feeling—is not this insupportable?"

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=zeaamericanstudies

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Rosalyn J.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 9 months ago #352407 by
Replied by on topic 2020 Protests
Oh all of those things are horrible actions, and I don't know anyone who deny that. The problem I mostly see though is that this doesn't seem to be a legal issue as much as it is a social issue. Again this just from where I happen to sit.

If I had to outline my "question" per say, it would be this:

Problem (currently): shitty cop murders an innocent man.
Solution: Punish the person, or people, responsible

Now the question seems to be what else can we do beyond that legally speaking?

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352413 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic 2020 Protests
I don't believe violence is justified. Peaceful protest is, but the looting and destruction etc. is a shameful distraction from the message that protestors are trying to make. London saw the same thing in 2011 and I don't think it's wrong to say that it's easy to remember the riots, more difficult to remember the name of the man whose death sparked it.

I have a strong suspicion however that many people, not just black men, are losing their lives to police brutality. This protest seems like it should be a matter that all are interested in, regardless of race.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, TheDude

More
3 years 9 months ago #352415 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic 2020 Protests
“ Its a sad day when racism is needed to receive justice. Racism will never leave till it’s need is quenched.”

I don’t use color any more to describe people. It helps the inside of me. If one person harmed another - consequences are expected. Should cops have gotten in trouble for not doing the right thing? Yup- sad we needed to use the “race” card and violence and receive what was due. Thar in itself makes me sad.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352419 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic 2020 Protests
A closer look at the root cause of at least some of the violence and property damage at these protests

Exhibit A
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/its-setup-mysteriously-staged-bricks-appear-throughout-major-protest-cities

Exhibit B
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2020/05/31/watch-video-from-around-the-country-shows-antifa-thugs-hijacking-george-floyd-pr-n2569761

Exhibit C
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/law-enforcement-plays-catch-stop-violence-radical-groups-protests-n1220486

People are complicated.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Edan, Carlos.Martinez3, TheDude

More
3 years 9 months ago #352423 by OB1Shinobi
Just an FYI for our “any means necessary” members. Ive seen many clips of protestors attacking people. Im pretty sure Ive seen at least one person murdered. This is probably the least brutal one that ive encountered but warning to the more sensitive members of the community, its not easy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN6vLAZKuEI

Here is George Floyds brother calling for peaceful protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgTj33YsqE

People are complicated.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352426 by OB1Shinobi
A powerful and useful speech by Killer Mike. If you dont know who he is, dont let the name fool you. This man is very intelligent and very well informed, and he is speaking from the heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9io6VEt58

People are complicated.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, TheDude

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352440 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic 2020 Protests
Human nature often takes me for so many journeys. Such events have happened at my very doorstep. I’ve watched human vs human. My family hears and sees violence ... right down the road. We saw the carnage of the aftermath in our town. The children have questions - parents please have answers. Take the time out for YOUR family - take the needed time.

Every one.

I grew up in street wars and violence as a part of equations and normality. I went to war a few times. Seeing unrest in my homeland has broken my heart in a few ways that can mend as before but dang - just watching and witnessing actions like these - open street brawls and sirens and mayhem... as a VET I hope my kids never got to see it so close. I’m good - I know a lot of my buddies ARNT. This looks like a set up. The longer information comes out... but that’s me. I can’t ever say who nor blame but I will stand firm - I know when I smell a rat...

Complacency and Hubris often dance hard all night.

I am loving the fact that some people can say for the record “that’s not me” it’s a old school technique called logging - think about it - that guy right there - that’s not me - just in case you were wondering.

Personally

Truly I didn’t know any one at the few rally’s that were held in our town and we saw a caravan of people come into town , where it happened - it went over the radio, every one was warned. Paces are closing early for this. It’s not us... is all I can validate.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, TheDude

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi