Home-Schooling During COVID19

More
3 years 11 months ago #350783 by Alethea Thompson
This was a quote in an email our school district had today, thought I'd share it with all the parents who have been forced into a teaching position.

Attachment SpringSeasonalOutfits.png not found

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #350809 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic Home-Schooling During COVID19
Very positive quote alethea. My own experience here is miserable. i have to have my 7 and 8 year olds on separate computers in separate rooms for video chat remote learning 6 hours a day. I think what the school is asking is beyond ridicules. On top of me still having to work, and my wife working nights 4 days a week, just getting the kids to focus is one of the hardest challenges I have ever faced. Then the have to log on and off every so often ( both at different times) and a 7 year old cant do that on there own. I currently have 17 daily alarms set to remind me when one needs to log off then back in on listen only mode, with a music teacher, art teacher, or religion teacher (private school). Then the other kid 5 mins later, has to log off then back in with a reading teacher. 10 mins later the first has to be back on and in video mode to talk one on one with there normal teacher. To say that me and my wife are beyond overwhelmed, is a gross understatement.

Anyone else got a similar experience going on?

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
3 years 11 months ago #350814 by Alethea Thompson
I've been wondering how parents with multiple kids are handling this. Mine is 8 and his teacher has 2 video conferences a day (or one longer one at night if you miss the first two), and the parents are expected to ensure their kids get the rest of the work done (fortunately, my teacher hasn't made it all that cumbersome). But when you have different age groups, that's where I'm sitting here thinking "there are different degrees of math a parent would be expected to know x.x, what if teachers come on at the same time and you only have one computer? What about at home jobs?".

I really appreciate you telling your story. It's helpful in seeing the bigger picture of how this has hit our modern world.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
3 years 11 months ago #350815 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic Home-Schooling During COVID19
Don’t get me started on “new math”. Between me and my wife we have 4 collage degrees. I got an a in advance calculus. But my second graders math confuses the hell out of me the way it’s done now. And it takes forever doing it the new way.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi