Are Modern day Jedi parents concerned about cinematic death?

More
3 years 1 week ago #359476 by Carlos.Martinez3
Here is a very Real question for all those who choose to join in on the conversation....

In the CINEMA world there is a thing called "The body count." Honestly I do not know the official term of the things but here is what it is. In movies, there is a number of people who "die" in the movie. This number is normally NOT anything to post about or pass but as Modern day Jedi and as CONSERNED parents, I have noticed it very early in my life.
Here is what I mean.
Every Jedi movie has explosions and people who get shot with light blasts and bombs and such. The movie SOLO directed by Ron Howard has maybe 10 on screen deaths, most of the explosions and action result in characters falling and landing on their bum or unharmed. This was intentional. Some movies have a HIGH kill rate on screen. These are sometimes intentional. Does this bother some Jedi as far as parenting? Do you know of the body count and does it help knowing? What do you do as Parents of younglings as far as movies and death on screen is concerned?
May the Force be with you

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
3 years 1 week ago #359480 by Brenna
I think a good place to start would be "what is your concern" regarding the body count? What do you believe is potentially problematic about it?

I know this seems like a silly question, but the perceptions that people have around death and children viewing death are very varied.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex, River

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #359485 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am worried my children will see too many deaths and body's in movies. I am afraid they can grow accustomed to the idea of seeing it on screen. The reason for this is because I MYSELF dont notice things like this any more.
This is a word from a concerned parent is all.

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/tv-violence-cause-child-anxiety-aggressive-behavior#1

Worth a look see, not my link or site, their own opinion but worth the thought.

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

More
3 years 1 week ago #359488 by River

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: I am worried my children will see too many deaths and body's in movies. I am afraid they can grow accustomed to the idea of seeing it on screen.

Ok... But what about that idea is a concern?
I'm not saying it shouldn't be. Just like... I'm not understanding the root of your fear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 1 week ago #359492 by Kohadre
Yes, and no.

What concerns me is the deeper desire which cinematic death and violence appeases. Our species seems to have a natural tendency towards negative action, in such a way that we spend most of our early life learning unnatural things such as manners, ethics, responsibility, and empathy.

Many native cultures have taught this throughout history; the Navajo in particular coming to mind as a YouTube recommendation relative to the subject came up only yesterday.

Many films have presented this dilemma as well, the scene within the first Matrix film where agent Smith interrogates Morpheus coming to mind; comparing the human species to viral life.

A quick bit of research also returns the alarming discovery that throughout the entirety of recorded human history, we have only a 20-45 year span without any sort of inter-national or civil war.

So, as originally mentioned; the concern is the innate desire for war, conflict, and hardship our species seems to possess in the way that dogs possess a desire to dig or cats possess a desire to scratch.

How many movies would succeed if there was no conflict in the story line? What about video games?; how many copies of a game with no violence, conflict, or antagonizing party do you think might sell in stores?

I'd go even further to say that the supposed desire for "peace", is really a sub-conscious desire to have an enemy which will in no way present any threat or opposition to violence from the desiring party; therefore making forced acquisition of resources or lands without risk possible.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Diana W

More
3 years 1 week ago #359494 by Diana W
I couldn't have explained it better.

Humans seem to tend towards its darker aspects while at the same time spewing words like "love all" and whatnot. I once wondered why religions have commandments and rules to follow, and why we are taught to memorize such things. It's because, even with that, if a person or group is not wired to be good to others, they will not. No amount of conversion or affirmations will change that in them. It may slow them down, but their nature is what it is. And the more people in the world, the more negative the world. Because it is the negative tendencies of humankind that paves the way to future generations. The good stay quiet and hidden away.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 1 week ago #359496 by Carlos.Martinez3
"Many films have presented this dilemma as well, the scene within the first Matrix film where agent Smith interrogates Morpheus coming to mind; comparing the human species to viral life."

There is a saying in the most recent version of Sweeny Todd by Tim Burton in which he gets back to the city on a ferry and his Song of "The city is s*it" can be taken as the same way. Its the views I am concerned about honestly. As a parent I want my offspring to get BETTER not equal.

Some songs I can't sing. I can physically sing but as far as meaning, some songs I cant sing. Some songs we will not be able to sing. Some movies I just cant watch. Small list.

I have a sister in this world that has done almost the exact same self reflection as I have. She is in Texas somewhere but in the beginning, it made her mad and upset all the time. After some council and mentoring, she can identify things a whole lot better than being what she calls a "pissed off kid."
Truth be told with Cinema, I love it, there is no doubt about that. There is also fears of being falsely ....motivated from it as well. I think that's the best way to say it. I would rather be INFLUENCED by it than led, but that's with everything.
So in closing, I would love to hear of the balance of this very thing if any, any Modern day Jedi parent has. We watch a balance of vintage and new movies to rid the "kills" on screen.
Ray Harryhausen's collection of movies seems to be the bees knees when it comes to vintage that type of camp we make. IM SUPRISED at how the old talkies in black and white actually keep the attention of the whole O'Hana the way they do still.

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 week ago #359497 by rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

Moderators: ZeroVerheilenRiniTavi