Being narrow...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6116 by
Being narrow... was created by
Here's a nice general Topic for everyone i just came up with sitting here in my study (living room) sipping my evening Tea (Plantation Mint). Why do the narrow-minded often get so berated by those who feel they are so much more enlightened. Are we not all narrow-minded in one way or another. Why is it such a crime to commit the falacy of non-discussion on certain subjects. I'll use myself as an example. I've been told (and rightly so) that I am narrow-minded in certain areas such as with regard to my \"blind\" following of the scripture as written in the Bible.

My accusers are not wrong, I was raised a Christian and did not discover it on my own (except when I turned 16 and spent the next 2 years really dealing, as most teenagers do I think, with what my beliefs were going to be), I really did just accept it as fact (and still do) from the time I was 10 at first communion. But what they call \"Blind trust\" I call faith.

I really don't need proof of any kind as I see proof of it everyday in the children I pass on the way to work or when Fishing and viewing the awe inspiring wonders of the natural world my Lord God saw fit to provide me access to.

But I digress, The main question is in fact, Why is it so bad to be narrow minded? Does it not denote focus, in consideration of the use of the word narrow? And it is not as though most who are considered narrow minded do not respect the faiths of others (although they are out there and it is most disappointing).

Why then do we put such emphasis on being considered being enlightened, broad minded, conceptual, and universal?

Maybe we should all be a bit more narrow-minded from day to day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6120 by
Replied by on topic Re:Being narrow...
the litteral connotation of \"narrow minded\" is indeed focused \"tunnel vision\" but the general meaning is to be so focused that your mind is almost closed. there are times during meditation that narrow mindedness is indeed a good thing, i mean this in the litteral connotation of course. when refering to the general meaning however it usually is accompanied by things such as biggetry/raceism, religious intolerance etc.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6121 by
Bylar wrote:

the litteral connotation of \"narrow minded\" is indeed focused \"tunnel vision\" but the general meaning is to be so focused that your mind is almost closed. there are times during meditation that narrow mindedness is indeed a good thing, i mean this in the litteral connotation of course. when refering to the general meaning however it usually is accompanied by things such as biggetry/raceism, religious intolerance etc.

Indeed, but as long as those people don't commit violent acts Why is it such a bad thing that they believe what they believe just because we don't agree. They see us as Narrow minded and media brainwashed in some cases...isn't this world big enough for everyone to believe what they want (as long as that belief doesn't stop another person from believing what they want too of course)?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6123 by
this reminds me of the saying \"ingorance is bliss\". those people that are \"narrow minded\" indeed do and should have the right to be that way as long as it doesnt harm anyone or prevent them from thier views, with this i agree, however we as Jedi are ever searching for knowledge, always learning, and when someone is \"narrow minded\" in this context, we feel we must try to help, that perhaps just a glimmer of knowledge could cause this person to open thier mind, even if only a little and in turn better themselves with this knowledge. there is nothing bad about an open mind.

p.s.
Arch-Bishop Tom, i would never consider you \"narrow minded\" in any meaning of the word.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6126 by
Bylar wrote:

this reminds me of the saying \"ingorance is bliss\". those people that are \"narrow minded\" indeed do and should have the right to be that way as long as it doesnt harm anyone or prevent them from thier views, with this i agree, however we as Jedi are ever searching for knowledge, always learning, and when someone is \"narrow minded\" in this context, we feel we must try to help, that perhaps just a glimmer of knowledge could cause this person to open thier mind, even if only a little and in turn better themselves with this knowledge. there is nothing bad about an open mind.

p.s.
Arch-Bishop Tom, i would never consider you \"narrow minded\" in any meaning of the word.

Awww, I'm certainly blessed. Thank you.

And of course not...Open is good too...

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 8 months ago #6127 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Being narrow...
If you think about it someone who is narrow minded doe not trust his/her own ideas; does not open them up for discussion; does not let them develop or even work.

\"He who closes his ears to the views of others shows little confidence in the integrity of his own views.\"
- William Congreve

...no thank you Master Tom I think I will try to stay with the open minded.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6128 by
Jon wrote:

If you think about it someone who is narrow minded doe not trust his/her own ideas; does not open them up for discussion; does not let them develop or even work.

\"He who closes his ears to the views of others shows little confidence in the integrity of his own views.\"
- William Congreve

Then youre being narrow-minded in your open-mindedness. LOL :)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 8 months ago #6134 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Being narrow...
Twsoundsoff wrote:

Jon wrote:

- William Congreve

...if narrow mindedness means being open mindedness then I`m with you.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6135 by
Jon wrote:

Twsoundsoff wrote:

Jon wrote:

- William Congreve

...if narrow mindedness means being open mindedness then I`m with you.

Now we're getting somewhere. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6141 by
Great discussion, this is a very important thing that needs to be brought forward. Tom I do agree, that certain aspects of narrow-mindedness are ok, like focus for meditation. Even the \"narrow-mindedness\" of being entirely sure of your beliefs is not bad, unless it is also closing yourself to learning the basis of other beliefs. In learning you don't necessarily have to believe, just knowing the details of other options, so that you can make an informed decision is being open-minded. I like to think that anyones beliefs could be correct, but if everyone understood that their belief COULD be the wrong one (because none of us will know until this journey is over), it would bring to light a new era of understanding and acceptance. I think that wars over religion and such would be a thing of the past, but I'm no sucker thinking that euphoria is possible either. Basically you can believe whatever you want, its in thinking that there are no other viable options and that all non-like minded believers are condemned to one thing or another that the narrow-mindedness becomes counter productive and harmfull.

On the subject of Bigotry/Racism and such, the narrow-mindedness is exponentially worse. Though I believe people are entitled to their opinions and beliefs, these such beliefs are almost always coupled with anger,hatred, and general negativity. Though I normally advocate the use of these emotions, it is in a productive way. Judging anyone on one pointed aspect of a whole person is not only hurtfull and harmfull to that person, but also to the person doing the Judging. Let me use an example: My wife's father used to be in the Army back in the day, he had a \"work buddy\" (basically assigned to each other) who was black. At the time he was basically racist, not to the point of wanting to kill him or anything, just didn't like him because he was black. Only talked to him if he had to and so forth. Then during a training exercise this guy saved my father-in-law's life. After that day he began to talk to him, and trust him, eventually they became best friends until he got transferred. Once he stopped focusing on one aspect of a whole person, he was able to view the whole person and eventually they became friends.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi