Jedi Religion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14111 by
Jedi Religion was created by
If the movies had been a flop---there would be a lot less ambivalence toward what this site and the people in it are trying to accomplish. Because of the huge success of the movies, I'm afraid \"Jedi\" will not be taken as a serious religion, in my lifetime and it makes me sad.

If the Jedi religion would have started without the movies ever coming out, it would not surprise me if we would be up there pretty high on the lists of major religions.

It's a gift and a curse. We came to understand more fully what the Force was about, and were given an example of how best to understand it. But of course the curse is, there probably would be no \"Jedi\" religion with out the movies.

I would rather have it and be the ridicule of a lot of people, than to have never experienced it.

MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14115 by
Replied by on topic Re:Jedi Religion
it is the cross we have to bear. we will forever be compared to the movies since we share the name. We will often be called a \"nutty\" religion, and often be called geeks.

here's how i explain it to people- the religion is a combination of many different religions all over the world. those religions are much older than many \"mainstream\" religions. The movies gave a name a religion that everyone in the world will know. But who's to say what came first? the religions around for centuries or the movies by george lucas? i think i made my point.

then the other explanation- what's more entertaining a religion that takes it's name from the most popular movies of all time? or \"hail mary's?
:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14116 by
Plenty of 'oddball' religions started without tv/film who are never taken seriously.

So as stevef said, its something we have to accept, but hopefully if enough people find us, and we are strong and not necessarily lead by example, but live as an example, we will be recognised and fully respected one day.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14117 by
Ive been finding more and more people interested in this around my area...I may want to start a temple here soon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14120 by
(Copypasta from my message to Kana Seiko Haruki, completely unrelated to this topic yet incredibly relevant.)

Y'know, I'm almost tempted to regard the Jedi as a \"persecuted\" people due to Order 66 and the following Great Jedi Purge... as well as people not widely considering it a \"real\" religion. But I don't think anybody would get that I'm joking for the mythological parts.

(Okay, now other bits 'n' pieces just from my own thoughts.)

Not to offend anyone, but my main argument is that most other religions (particularly the more recent ones - see Mormonism, Scientology, Raƫlism) are just as silly (and most likely fictional). So what if we believe in the Force? So what if we prefer loose robes to a pair of annoyingly constricting jeans than I can't even sit cross-legged in, and I just want to rip the knees out of because they're so GRAAAAAAARGH!? So what if we think lightsabers are cool?

Not like they can say their religious preferences are really that much better. Man was made of mud. Multi-armed imaginary friends. Zombie Jesus wants your soul. Magical underpants. How is any of that any different from an unseen energy connecting everything? Or... you know... a cripple in a walking iron lung...

(Vader's a vertical, scary-looking, and Goth version of Stephen Hawking. Without the degree in physics. YOU ALL THOUGHT IT! I'm just the first to say it!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14121 by
Xiam wrote:

... a cripple in a walking iron lung...

(Vader's a vertical, scary-looking, and Goth version of Stephen Hawking. Without the degree in physics. YOU ALL THOUGHT IT! I'm just the first to say it!)

Out of the two voices, I'd much prefer Vaders :D

Joking aside, we of all religions should be the very last to 'judge' the beliefs of other, never forget that people still die for their beliefs.

Have differences of belief and opinion by all means, but keep the utmost respect for all, no matter what they believe.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14122 by
I'd also advise to show more respect when someone thinks your daft for becoming a Jedi. Remember while the name is fictional the belief of an energy binding everything in the universe is certainly not new. Just look in to the Hindu myth of Indra's net.

\"FAR AWAY IN THE HEAVENLY ABODE OF THE GREAT GOD INDRA, THERE IS A WONDERFUL NET WHICH HAS BEEN HUNG BY SOME CUNNING ARTIFICER IN SUCH A MANNER THAT IT STRETCHES OUT INDEFINITELY IN ALL DIRECTIONS. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EXTRAVAGANT TASTES OF DEITIES, THE ARTIFICER HAS HUNG A SINGLE GLITTERING JEWEL AT THE NET'S EVERY NODE, AND SINCE THE NET ITSELF IS INFINITE IN DIMENSION, THE JEWELS ARE INFINITE IN NUMBER. THERE HANG THE JEWELS, GLITTERING LIKE STARS OF THE FIRST MAGNITUDE, A WONDERFUL SIGHT TO BEHOLD. IF WE NOW ARBITRARILY SELECT ONE OF THESE JEWELS FOR INSPECTION AND LOOK CLOSELY AT IT, WE WILL DISCOVER THAT IN ITS POLISHED SURFACE THERE ARE REFLECTED ALL THE OTHER JEWELS IN THE NET, INFINITE IN NUMBER. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT EACH OF THE JEWELS REFLECTED IN THIS ONE JEWEL IS ALSO REFLECTING ALL THE OTHER JEWELS, SO THAT THE PROCESS OF REFLECTION IS INFINITE

THE AVATAMSAKA SUTRA\"

So it's really not a new concept at all. Lucas was inspired not only by Joseph Campbell's \"The Hero With a Thousand Faces\" but was an avid Akira Kurosawa fan having cited his movie \"Hidden Fortress\" As a major influence on the first movie. Kurosawa made films about his native Japan in it and around the 15th to 17th century. So the practice of Zen Buddhism is also a big factor and component of Jediism.

As for being made fun of for your religious choice, it's better then being crucified upside down or being stoned. This is what early christians endured for decades after the formation of their religion. Scientology was also shunned and ridiculed in the beginning. It's just human nature to resist change and fear anything outside the polarized view of the world we've formed for ourselves through the internalization of our negative experiences and fear of future ones. So the next time someone comes down on you for being a Jedi just look on then with unending Loving-Kindness and laugh with them. It's your example and not words that will show your quality in the end.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135