Star Wars Nerd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13896 by
Star Wars Nerd was created by
My wife got home from after I went to bed last night, so this morning she asked me what kinda Star Wars website was I look at(leave my computer on all the time)? I told her that I had found an online Church and website dedicated to learning about the Force. \"Star Wars nerd\", she replied as she kissed me on the cheek. I realized that she thought that this was going to be a passing fancy. What she is about to find out is that I am sincerely devoting my life to learning as much as I can about Jediism and spreading our message. MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13901 by
Replied by on topic Re:Star Wars Nerd
Haha... hey, there's nothing wrong with being a geek.

I enjoy the fact that I can watch all six movies back-to-back and not really get bored.

Of course... I get distracted with other things, so I couldn't really do all six movies back-to-back... >_>;

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13915 by
Well you never know she might be right.You could devote allot of time to learning about the force but end up finding some other thing to devote your self to.Time goes on life goes on.

Or like the Zen master would say.

\"we'll see...\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13923 by
Life goes on, none of us may be here in 1 year, 6 months, or even tomarrow. So many of us flutter about not ever really knowing what may be going on all around us. The universe is a very big place and our little planet as so much information already. Ever changing, ever flowing, so who knows where we may be going. I would like to think that i will be here forever but in the end i am just having fun for now and as Daniel already said, we'll see.

As for your wife, many of our partners have turned around and some are even seeing our religion in new light. Others still think we are all crazy, be patient and we will see where she stands in the long run.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13937 by
I've stated this before, but... my mom seems pretty open to the idea of me being a Jedi. Her basic thing is... at least it's not a brainwashing cult. :laugh:

Though... as a geek of the series... I still think that, given that the name and concepts of Jediism do come from Star Wars (even though the ideas come to that from elsewhere)... though a complete work of fiction, a lot of the elements and philosophies presented are still useful - and perhaps even important - to Jedi everywhere. :)

Also... space battles and lightsaber duels are awesome.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13947 by
Look at is this way, every 'religion' started somewhere and there were always those to mock, look at Christianity for example, they were at best mocked, at worst killed for their beliefs early on, we are the founders of the new religion, the pioneers so to speak, you may well be mocked but one day, the Jedi will be as strong as many established religions are today.

It is the association of Jediism and Starwars which for some are the issues.

OK, so we have lightsabres, other religions have swords etc and many other religions have dress codes, think of it as all Jedi are priests of Jediism and priests wear robes... where is the difference.

As with all things, there are may view points, your view depends on where your standing, walk around to appreciate the different views ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13948 by
Well, I tend to see the Jedi Order as a monastic society... not TECHNICALLY priests (excluding Masters, perhaps), though much as monks are with God, the Jedi are close to the Force.

So, Jediism would follow that to an extent... and certainly Knights should not be without swords. Only ours are symbolic, and can't really do much damage, unless you wish to bludgeon someone over the head... which I don't recommend. Too barbaric for a Jedi.

(But yes, points of view and perspectives are going to differ... and yes, it is good to look at it from other angles. Which is why the mind is equipped to allow us to put ourselves in others' shoes! :cheer:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13949 by
yes, the hilt is symbolic, it has the same purpose as for example the katana for samurai... the sword symbolises the warrior code, but it all depends on what is comfortable for the individual

remember to separate ceremony from normal life. I wouldnt wear robes or carry a sabre in normal life. The hilts are used by many jedi as a focal point for meditation, once again the idea of the hilt being a weapon is blurred from reality and the starwars universe.

I hope as you progress through your training you will realise the point I am thu s far failing to put to you

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13950 by
Oh, no, I got it... in reality, the whole ensemble would look ridiculous as an everyday attire.

...Doesn't mean I won't wear a brown hooded sweatshirt, though. :)

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13955 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Star Wars Nerd
During a normal day, I am hard pressed to squeeze in everything, with work, family, activities, martial arts, our Forum and the research and writing that goes into preparing articles for said forum, there simply is not enough hours in the day. I have often said that sometimes life gets in the way of my Jedi Duties...but the truth is my Jedi duties ARE life, the 'way' is in everything I do, a part of every interaction with others throughout my day, be it a project proposal at work or when I talk with my children about their day. In the rat race of our lives we tend to connect our Jedi time to the time we spend on line here, when in fact we are Jedi 24/7.

On symbols, clothing and the like, it is true that all religions have symbols and distinctive clothing. including the way of the Jedi. I do wear these things as well, I have a few gi's for my m/arts, different types for the different styles (closest thing to religion for me), I wear my masonic ring on occasion, and I do have a robe I feel comfortable in (black of course). All these things are fine but remember that the force comes from within. No matter what we happen to be wearing at any given moment, we are always Jedi.
MTFBWUA

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi