You`re never too old.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13583 by Jon
You`re never too old. was created by Jon
AMAZING! 101 year old man ran the London marathon yesterday. He smoked since he was 7, married at 14 and has 17 children.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13584 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:You`re never too old.
For many competitive runners (myself included), spring is race time. We’ve been training since January, adding miles each week, and slowly building our stamina.

Buster Martin is just like us - he’s training to run the London Marathon on April 13th. Only Buster is 101 years old!

Buster finished The Roding Valley Half Marathon last weekend in 5 hours and 13 minutes. Not bad for someone born in 1907.

After finishing the half marathon, his first words were: “Where’s my beer?”

Buster seems to enjoy breaking records. He’s the UK’s oldest employee, he has 17 children, and his rock band, The Zimmers, (whose members total 3,000 years old) had a hit single just last year. Oh, and he also fought off three young muggers at a bus stop when he was 100…

“They obviously thought I would be an easy touch because I’m old. But they soon found out I’m still a good fighter,” he said. “I hit one in the groin and I kicked another one. The foot I used had been operated on a week before for an in-growing toenail. They must have done a good job on it because it worked bloody well.”

Buster’s boss at Pimlico Plumbers said, “Had he been a weaker character it might have finished him off, but Buster doesn’t back down from anything. That’s the kind of person he is.”

I love this guy - he’s unstoppable. Nothing phases him.

As if all that wasn’t enough, Buster is also an environmentalist. Check out this clip he made to promote recycling… “If you don’t recycle, you’ve got a screw loose.”

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13585 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:You`re never too old.
A man has turned up for work despite being told to take the day off for his 100th birthday.
Buster Martin began cleaning vans for Pimlico Plumbers despite retiring as a market worker three years ago.

Colleagues at the firm in Lambeth, south London, threw him a surprise party and were treating him to a tour of Chelsea FC's Stamford Bridge ground.

Mr Martin said the last time he had a party he was in the desert \"getting as drunk as a Lord when I was 21\".

He said the secret of his longevity could be due to a pint of bitter every day and daily press ups.

If you're active it saves you sitting in a wheelchair

Buster Martin

The centenarian was born in France, but came to England as a baby and grew up in an orphanage in Cornwall until 1916.

Moving to London he got his first job helping stall holders on Brixton market before joining the Army at 15 and served a total of 35 years before joining the Navy.

After taking up a wide range of trades, he finally went full circle and was working at Brixton market until he retired aged 97.

Mr Martin, who married in 1920 and had 17 children with his wife, said he took up working again because he became bored.

\"Working keeps me active, that's the main thing. If you're active it saves you sitting in a wheelchair,\" he said.

Talking about how the world had changed in 100 years he said: \"It's a bit too fast... I've never owned a telephone and I never will.\"

Charlie Mullins, of Pimlico Plumbers, said: \"Buster's a lot of fun, he's quite a character who's got a million stories.\"

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13592 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:You`re never too old.
Simply fantastic!!! the result of POSITIVE attitude and refusing to \"act his age\" super, I think I have a new role model.
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

May The Force Be With Him for many years to come.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13626 by
Replied by on topic Re:You`re never too old.
Amazing.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi