If you have 10 minutes ...

More
2 years 9 months ago #361305 by Alexandre Orion
Onora O'Neill is a wonderful thinker. She has written several books and done many lectures on the subject, but gladly here is a 10 minute talk where she brings up some pretty valuable ideas in a very short time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PNX6M_dVsk&ab_channel=TED

B)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Diana W, Serenity Amyntas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #361309 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic If you have 10 minutes ...
I think trust is a very personal subject, and it shifts based on experience, observed knowledge, and growth. For instance, we may say we don't trust politicians; but turn around and say "But I trust Obama" or whoever one choses to trust in the political arena. That trust may change as the politician's term(s) are served and we find evidence of activities we do not find trustworthy. Same with friends, family, co-workers, and corporations. Trust is not an absolute, but a changing concept.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
2 years 9 months ago #361311 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic If you have 10 minutes ...
I was able to see it in 5 minutes by speeding it up to 2x :cheer:

I certainly think it is valuable to consider that oftentimes we are asking the wrong questions, and taking for granted that they are the right questions. I love how she reframes these questions in a way that take "trust" away from the abstract and makes it real... in a way - and I'm sure this is not the only topic for which this happens - we observe "trust" as if it were this tangible, external object, deteriorating through time, its shine opaqued by "corruption", also described in this external, objectifiable manner.

But trust is better understood as a verb, not a noun. And as action, it is a relationship, us being an integral part of it. I love how the responsibility is placed on us to become more trustworthy, rather than to simply expect "trust" as this abstract thing to become automatically better (and the responsibility of it left to someone else).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
2 years 9 months ago #361446 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic If you have 10 minutes ...
I like her point that making ourselves vulnerable to the other party can be very powerful evidence of trustworthiness. Thats not easy to do for many people.

rugadd

More
2 years 9 months ago #361456 by Carlos.Martinez3
Finding trustworthiness... first ... I like that.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
2 years 9 months ago #361458 by River
Replied by River on topic If you have 10 minutes ...
I heartily endorse this idea that trust shouldn't be blindly given or blindly not given: each instance of trust has to be determined based on historical and current knowledge of the subject and situation. Trust is fluid, and can shift based on just one or two changes in conditions. I trust my wife to drive when she is awake and focused, but not when she's at all tired. I trust her driving in normal conditions, but not in heavy traffic or really bad weather. I also really like the thought that trustworthiness is the actual quality, trust is just our natural reaction to that quality. And vulnerability leads to trustworthiness. So to grow trust, we have to grow trustworthiness, and vulnerability to a degree as well. This feels so much more doable, and like I'm so much more in control of the process. I can work to become more and more trustworthy, and I can work to become more comfortable being vulnerable. What I have a lot of trouble doing is trusting blindly or despite my experiences and expectations, and it turns out that's a good thing! I've judged myself a lot for "not being a trusting person" or at least, not being enough of one. These ideas lift a lot of that feeling for me.

Somewhat as an aside, I really like the speaker's voice and delivery style. Calm but still interesting. Thanks for sharing it, Alex!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3, Serenity Amyntas

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi