If Attachment can lead to fear and loss and the Dark Side, then...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 2 months ago #358053 by
Then can I be a Jedi and love my son? love my mother? and still be a Jedi?
The love I have for them is more than I have for the rest of humanity, is that the reason Jedi aren't allowed to fall in love? and have Children?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #358054 by Zero
Ofcourse you can love your family. Remember to separate reality from what you see in the movies. While the Jedi here do losely base there faith on the Jedi in the films, you will find that there are many many ways we’re different. The attachment your referring too is one of them. We will caution against physical attachments (like to money, or your car, our your autographed football) but we strongly encourage building relationships with your family and your friends. Those relationships help shape who you are as a person and are a vital part of your life.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Skryym, Rex, Jake Nislan

More
3 years 2 months ago #358055 by Rex
Zero is spot on as typical. It's impossible to totally detach yourself and unhealthy to attempt it. It's more important in my opinion to be aware of your attachments and correctly prioritize them. Having loving relationships is an important part of leading a fulfilling life, so I encourage it.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Skryym, Zero, Jake Nislan

More
3 years 2 months ago #358058 by Diana W
I am not very old in this faith of Jediism. But by my understanding of it, which reflects Buddhism in many ways; it isn't saying you need to deny your love of family and friends, and you need to love all humanity equally. It means that you are not bound by conditional love. Jediism encourages that you step back in a more detached state of being so you are more able to be compassionate and understanding without restrictive biases of "this over that". It is not saying to deny your love of family, but to embrace it and still have room for the rest of humanity.

I come from a similar place as you, where the rest of humanity just doesn't have my full compassion. But it's worth working on and trying to overlook the shortcomings it has in its nature.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Jake Nislan

More
3 years 2 months ago #358063 by Figment
I think that many people confuse love with attachment. Love isn't grasping someone or claiming that someone is "mine". Love isn't about possessing people. Love is about compassion, caring, respect, and being able to let go when the time comes.

Attachment begins when you start claiming someone or something as your own and forget that they have their own lives to lead and experiences to go through.

So the answer to your question is: yes, you can be a Jedi. Let the love you have for your family inspire you along your path. Let it be a source of joy and happiness for you that you can share with other and in that way better the lives of those around you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Skryym, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi