Staying Sane in Quarantine

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 weeks ago #350820 by
It's been a while. I was taking a break from the Temple, but I missed you guys.

So, I recently was laid off from my job because of the COVID-19 situation.

(as for that, I know many are suffering far worse than I am, and my heart goes out to them. At times like these, I wish I was a millionaire or something so I could donate a butt-ton of cash to help people out)

It was just a humble dishwashing position at a restaurant, but I was paid well, appreciated and respected, plus I am quite fond of my co-workers.

I have been stuck at home for what feels like forever.

At first, a break away from work was welcome (my job is quite strenuous and demanding), however, I am making no money, and feel rather stagnant.

The monotony is making me crazy.

This is the perfect time for learning, contemplation, exercise, and meditation. Spiritual, mental, and physical self-improvement.

I suppose now is the perfect time to devote myself to the IP, I have nothing else to do, so I might as well grind it out.

How does a Jedi handle this situation?

How would the Code guide one through this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #350925 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Staying Sane in Quarantine

CaesarEJW wrote: It's been a while. I was taking a break from the Temple, but I missed you guys.

So, I recently was laid off from my job because of the COVID-19 situation.

(as for that, I know many are suffering far worse than I am, and my heart goes out to them. At times like these, I wish I was a millionaire or something so I could donate a butt-ton of cash to help people out)

It was just a humble dishwashing position at a restaurant, but I was paid well, appreciated and respected, plus I am quite fond of my co-workers.

I have been stuck at home for what feels like forever.

At first, a break away from work was welcome (my job is quite strenuous and demanding), however, I am making no money, and feel rather stagnant.

The monotony is making me crazy.

This is the perfect time for learning, contemplation, exercise, and meditation. Spiritual, mental, and physical self-improvement.

I suppose now is the perfect time to devote myself to the IP, I have nothing else to do, so I might as well grind it out.

How does a Jedi handle this situation?

How would the Code guide one through this?

Not that we've interacted much per-se, but it's good to see you back at TOTJO.

To answer the questions at the end of your post, first. I can't recall where or in what variation I originally heard it, however in times like this it seems a self evident truth.

"Emotion is the absence of logic and reason."

It is understandable for common folk to feel anxious, stressed, frustrated, and even angry. Livelihoods have been interrupted or destroyed, as you mention has been your case in the above post as well.

However, as Jedi we should be mindful of how much "energy" we feed such emotions and thoughts. Consistent thought forms consistent belief; consistent belief to consistent habit, and consistent habit to consistent behavior.

Invest yourself in logical thought, and well grounded reason.

It's easy (and understandable) to be drawn into the fanning flames of conspiracy theory, economic dramatics, and clashing political ideologies which seem to be taking main stage for the time being. However, the more important thing (I feel) to consider is "Is investing myself in this going to help, or hurt me?"

Find a hobby, or new skill to learn. Throughout this crisis, I have learned to brew/craft alcohol; make solar-lamps from spare parts around the house, build furniture, brew/craft hand sanitizer, play instruments, and tattoo - among other interests.

This crisis will at some point end, through one outcome or another; and so too will the abundance of free time we currently have available to pursue our most deeply held interests.

Make the most of it. Hope this helps.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Kohadre. Reason: Grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Jake Nislan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi