Techniques for Addressing Internal Darkness

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #349684 by
Hello, I would like to preface this discussion with a brief overview of my situation; I was born with a mental disorder known as "Borderline Personality Disorder" that has various negative impacts on my ability to empathize and control my emotions. Throughout my life I've tried everything from medication to therapy for addressing this, and with some luck my social skills when pertaining to others has improved however I still struggle deeply with aggression and control. I find that whenever I'm in a tough situation or otherwise feel out of control a sense of anger and rage begins to build inside me, and no matter how much I know I shouldn't be feeling them these impulses continue to occur. I've since integrated meditation into my schedule (15 minutes everyday of the week, and 1 hour on weekend days) and it definitely helps for a short period of time afterwards, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas for how I could further address these impulses and better control them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #349685 by JamesSand
I don't have BPD - but I never learned to deal with whatever my demons are until they had destroyed everything in my life.

Rock bottom is a remarkable motivator to un$%^& yourself.

Daily practices (such as exercise, or whatever your jam is) are helpful, probably, but I found the best aide was an application of philosophical views, I am (sometimes) able to make a predetermined viewpoint override out of control emotions such as rage, terror, or lust.

Some philosophical viewpoints are more useful for this than others - obviously a number of "great thinkers" feel that overruling your passions is in opposition to the truth of them - these might not be your best bet if your goal is to be your "master".
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 2 months ago #349688 by OB1Shinobi
I would recommend finding a support group of others who have the same condition. We all have the right to reply to whatever topic we wish, but there are very few people here who understand even general mental health conditions and methodologies, much less who are competent in the domain of BPD.

Heres a couple links that may be useful.
This is a free educational program for BPD sufferers and their families. Id definitely check it out.
https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/family-connections/

Here is a support group of people with BPD. Its a large group but its not the only group. I have no idea which group is the best, but im sure there are people out there who have some of the answers that you need.
https://www.meetup.com/topics/bpd/

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi