The main difference between these two lightsabers

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329019 by
I am referring to the double bladed lightsaber like Darth Mauls' and the lightsaber pikes wielded by the Jedi temple guards. Has anyone had experience using these kinds of blades in real life too?

I understand the pikes used by guards but they also have two blades. Although the hilts seem to be longer but the blades I guess seem to be a little shorter, almost like shoto size lightsabers on a pike

I understand in legends it was just one blade as opposed to two. Would there be any sort of strategy or advantages or disadvantages using the double pike as opposed to a double bladed lightsaber?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dPyzUl7SA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329020 by
Advantage: Twice as much sabre.

Disadvantage: Twice as much sabre. XD

In the end, skill is the advantage. The sabre pikes used by the Jedi Temple guard had one blade shorter than the other, but it was rarely used beyond intimidation and containment of threats. Maul's sabre used two, full length sabres, so it would, or at least could, be used differently.

But, in the end, its twice as much super deadly omni-directional cutting plasma sword to worry about as you swing it about, potentially making you half the man you were before. ;p

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329021 by
I have heard the pikes had lightsaber resistant hilts since the hilts are such a big target while maul's lightsaber wasn't but really EVERY lightsaber hilt should be resistant to lightsabers xD

The double pikes seemed to be shorter so it would seem you need more space to use them, but the pikes are long so you are less likely to cut yourself if the blade is shorter.

I personally would like a duel between someone using a double bladed lightsaber and a double lightsaber pike. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329023 by
Technically any sabre could become sabre resistant if infused with the Force. Some Jedi would do this to wooden staffs to make them a non-lethal option to a lightsabre. However, its not easy to do this, requiring a lot of skill and time.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329030 by

Arisaig wrote: Technically any sabre could become sabre resistant if infused with the Force. Some Jedi would do this to wooden staffs to make them a non-lethal option to a lightsabre. However, its not easy to do this, requiring a lot of skill and time.

Do you have a reference for this? It is actively relevant to my interests and I'd like to see what's been done with the notion.

More
5 years 5 months ago #329041 by Adder
I'd put the Maul type in the Soresu style of employment, while a Temple Guard type more suited to a Niman style of employment.

The differences being the later is probably intended for a 1 degree of freedom tactical employment as part of a phalanx type of defence tactic; being forward and backwards. Using the allied systems, structures and other Guards to uphold the other degrees of freedom. Simple is sometimes better when dealing with complexity, and as a Guard they are acting in 'response' amid a 'suprise', and so time is too short to go it alone and expect success. Instead, taking advantage of their fortifications and ability to bring reinforcements to bear quicker.

While Maul's shifts the axis of action from the user front, to the blade axis.... in effect becoming a passenger hanging onto the weapon, rather then a user using a weapon. It probably goes with some zany Dark side ethos of power taking over :D In which case we might as well call it more Ataru then anything else, but that assumes the Sith would bother using Jedi nomenclature for their own styles.

Attachment 330px-6DOF_en.jpg not found

Just my own take, and not anyone elses system mind you.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329044 by

Kasumi wrote:

Arisaig wrote: Technically any sabre could become sabre resistant if infused with the Force. Some Jedi would do this to wooden staffs to make them a non-lethal option to a lightsabre. However, its not easy to do this, requiring a lot of skill and time.

Do you have a reference for this? It is actively relevant to my interests and I'd like to see what's been done with the notion.

The most excellent example would be Master Vodo's Quarterstaff , which he used to train some of the best duellists (including the dark lord Exar Kun). But, beyond that, the Je'daii Order (pre-lightsabres) would Force-Imbue blades to make them not only glow ever so slightly, but become near-unbreakable and extra sharp. However, this latter technique still required a crystal to store the energy, as metal was never alive, unlike a wooden staff.

I do also remember reading somewhere that Galen Starkiller's sabres were also force-imbued, and because of such he could cast force abilities through the blades (ie. Force Lightning), so he wouldn't have to sheathe his blades to do anything fancy. ;p But I can't seem to find that reference atm.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330454 by
I was wondering since in these videos it looked like just a double bladed lightsaber xD

Although the handle was a bit longer so always wondered if that would be an advantage. Someone with a double bladed lightsaber and lightsaber pike should duke it out xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_1-158sRL4
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330457 by
I'm going slightly off topic here but I am familiar with a quarter staff and trust in my abilities to defend myself with one but I do not think I would be able to do the same with a double ended lightsaber. Moving the quarter staff around my body and often bracing against my body in different forms would not end so well with a lightsaber.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330487 by
I always did like Quarterstaves and thought the pike would be more similar to that but seems to be may need more open space to use it properly.

Although now I see the double edged pikes more than the single edged pikes but I am wondering if it has to do with temple guards being seen more often xD

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi