About the Jedi way to act

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328639 by
About the Jedi way to act was created by
Hello fellow Jedi.

As a Jedi apprentice, I have recently taken a closer look the Jedi Doctrine.
Defense Maxim : To defend the way of Jediism says "A Jedi is sworn by oath to defend their faith and all it encompasses".

Reading it, I asked myself what it would mean, concretely, to defend the Jedi way? Is it about presenting arguments in favour of Jediism to those who criticise it? It is what I understood of it, but you may have read into it in another way. Jedi Masters, Jedi Knights or Apprentices, please tell me what it means to you to defend your faith.

Thank you!

(Please pardon my English)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328641 by
Replied by on topic About the Jedi way to act
My favourite line of the Code is Ignorance, yet Knowledge.

As such, my entire path has evolved around it. Ignorance, as I see it, is the ultimate evil in the world. People are passionate about their ignorance, sew chaos with it, and even cause death and injustice to thrive off of it.

So, it defend Jediism is to spread knowledge, correct and positive knowledge, to those that would otherwise be spreading misconceptions, lies, and potentially permanently damaging rumours about what Jediism and the Jedi Path is.

Now, we can't be preaching non stop (but if oppretunity comes, seize it). But overall it comes in being an example, a source of knowledge for others to draw parallels to these rumours. "the Jedi do what now? Well, that can't be true, because I know one and he would never do that, nor would he stand for it!"

This method of defence, much like any defence, requires constant maintenance, upgrading, and fortifying. You must recognize the weak points and shore it up. For defence is not in the offensive, but in being able to weather the storm and showing them that these falsehoods do not affect you, because you won't allow it. It is to rise rather than kneel, to stand against injustices done to the community through whispers and bold statements alike like the peaceful warrior you are.

More
5 years 5 months ago #328642 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic About the Jedi way to act
Less is more. If people have misconceptions about your faith and are willing to listen to reason, then offer them the truth, generally I'd say defence is just spreading knowledge. If they aren't willing to listen; leave them to it, knowing when to walk away and keeping your integrity, hence showing the character of your cause, is just as important as defending it. Be careful not to allow defence to become offense (turning the inquiry from your beliefs to their lack thereof etc. )

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane, Kobos,

More
5 years 5 months ago #328643 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic About the Jedi way to act
If I have to defend a faith, its not likely to be a very secure one to begin with.

Instead of "spreading knowledge" to everyone else as if I certainly know the real truth of things, I feel it might be a bit less... Um... Ignorant of me to focus on learning and fortifying my awareness of why I do any of it's at all, since if I didn't, I wouldn't be learning the things that truly matter for me and instead would just be learning a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do with me.

My suggestion: Don't be that person who just gets stuck on the idea of being a Jedi. Keep yourself grounded on being what you actually are unconditionally (a human) and learn about THAT. You're more likely to get more out of "how to be a Jedi" then.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane, Kobos,

More
5 years 5 months ago #328644 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic About the Jedi way to act

Arisaig wrote: My favourite line of the Code is Ignorance, yet Knowledge.

As such, my entire path has evolved around it. Ignorance, as I see it, is the ultimate evil in the world. People are passionate about their ignorance, sew chaos with it, and even cause death and injustice to thrive off of it.

So, it defend Jediism is to spread knowledge, correct and positive knowledge, to those that would otherwise be spreading misconceptions, lies, and potentially permanently damaging rumours about what Jediism and the Jedi Path is.

Now, we can't be preaching non stop (but if oppretunity comes, seize it). But overall it comes in being an example, a source of knowledge for others to draw parallels to these rumours. "the Jedi do what now? Well, that can't be true, because I know one and he would never do that, nor would he stand for it!"

This method of defence, much like any defence, requires constant maintenance, upgrading, and fortifying. You must recognize the weak points and shore it up. For defence is not in the offensive, but in being able to weather the storm and showing them that these falsehoods do not affect you, because you won't allow it. It is to rise rather than kneel, to stand against injustices done to the community through whispers and bold statements alike like the peaceful warrior you are.

This with the emphasis on the point that Jedi are not evangelists, we do not go out of our way to spread it to people who do not come seeking it. Or at least that's my belief in it. If its already in discussion and your there to help better explain things great. If you see someone seeking it and want to make sure its better explained perfect. Don't be going door to door telling people what they should believe in though, or just to inform them what Jediism is etc, that's not the Jedi way, no matter really how you believe in it.

At least I would think that's the consensus view of majority of the Jedi here, if anyone believes otherwise feel free to respond ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #328646 by
@Tellahane

Very much agree. First thing I ever read from a Jedi from this place (of memory serves it was Akkarin commenting on a article about Kevin Cottam) was that we do not proselytize. I think my use of the world 'preaching' is jumping out for anyone reading my post lol.

But, overall, I did say that's not what we do and to live by example. ;p
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by .

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #328648 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic About the Jedi way to act
To me 'Jedi' in a practical sense is the focus on training to develop the connection to the Force, and as such defending that means not giving into distraction or losing focus too much under duress.

Such that to me, which while begging the question of what does the Force mean to the individual, the doctrine just reflects some examples of how best to do this.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 5 months ago #328682 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic About the Jedi way to act
Thanks for the heads up, by the way. Though the maxim says it, neither the Simple Oath, nor the Solemn Vow of TOTJO include any promises to defend the faith. The closest they get is a promise to uphold the teachings, so I guess if one really wants to interpret it that way only to confirm the maxim, there is some wiggle room for that. Then of course upholding the teachings could mean, among other things, perpetuating the maxim that says that the Jedi vowed to defend their faith, eventhough technically they didn't.
:silly:

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328684 by
This may be because many don't view it as a faith, only a minority here consider themselves pureland Jedi and/or Jediists.

But still, you would think that at least the Vow one takes upon becoming a Knight would include defending the Jedi Path and all its intricate and unique paths, including the faith aspect of those that take it to that level.

More
5 years 5 months ago #328688 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic About the Jedi way to act
Ehh, that's arguably what this discussion is all about, isn't it. Is it, in general, part of the Jedi way to even follow it on faith, let alone defend doing so against some would-be challenger? Not that one couldn't nitpick the oaths apart also, but I for one welcome that they are phrased that much more conservatively. We promise upon taking them to uphold the teachings, to live a life worthy of the name we bear. They used to say "to do what's right", now it only says that we ought respect our duties and responsibilities, including - by the solemn vow - to teach. Are we supposed to try and gain respect from those who laugh at our name? Are we supposed to pursue arguments of faith and not just those of substance with those who believe differently for good reasons or for bad ones?
I think not. I think that if this particularly is a conflict between what the maxim says we vow and what we really do, then it is the maxim that is a tad too assertive, not the Jedi that vowed a tad too mildly.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi