Mental Health

More
3 years 4 months ago #356900 by Zeth Windwrecker
Hello everyone,

This particular forum topic is to help understand the mental health of your family members. While I am not an expert, I do believe I can offer a a point of view that may assist you when you need to talk to your family members about mental health.

My first piece of advice is breathing, and I do not mean simply breath in and breath out. Breathing patterns can change your mental status in a matter of seconds. When you breath slowly, you mind finds it easier to relax, and take in the environment around you. Breathing quickly kicks your brain into overdrive, this is why people who have panic attacks feel this way. Remind your loved ones that the first step to dealing with mental health issues is learning how to properly breath. Please use the following link as a how-to guide:

https://anxieties.com/57/panic-step4

Good luck fellow Jedi, and may the Force be with you.

Zeth Windwrecker

Teaching Guru: Raxicorico

Apprentices: Open to new students

“No, failure is not the end. It is a necessary part of the path” - Master Eno Cordova

“Remember, persistence reveals the path” - Master Jaro Tapal

“Our mistakes are in the past... It's about what we do next that’s important” - Cal Kestis, Jedi Knight

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #356976 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Mental Health
This is why when training to fight, we are encouraged to breath normally as much as possible.

rugadd
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
3 years 4 months ago #356977 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Mental Health
First, did you edit my post?

Second: Self control. Children are under constant assault from their initial experiences with emotions. It makes perfect sense that to control oneself better, one should aim to be calmer so those feelings do not become overwhelming. Stupid decisions are made in the heat of the moment because we are alarmed AND can't think straight. An early habit of doing things proven to calm our state of mind would be beneficial to any child(or young teen). Dressing it up with an attractive idea would be the "spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down". In the case of breathing exercises I referred my child to Uncle Iroh instructing Zuko on breathing exercises as part of Fire bending training, which made it cool and worth pursuing. It should be noted that Fire bending(in the show) is a direct overlay of my particular martial art, so that grain of truth, of which they were already familiar, was present to help it along. The martial aspect is particularly important because sudden, overwhelming feelings often pop up when being assaulted. We know that as careful as we want to be, fights at school, abuse from above, or an enraged partner DO happen. Learning to stay calm will help more than fight or flight IMHO

rugadd

More
3 years 4 months ago #356978 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Mental Health

rugadd wrote: First, did you edit my post?

Second: Self control. Children are under constant assault from their initial experiences with emotions. It makes perfect sense that to control oneself better, one should aim to be calmer so those feelings do not become overwhelming. Stupid decisions are made in the heat of the moment because we are alarmed AND can't think straight. An early habit of doing things proven to calm our state of mind would be beneficial to any child(or young teen). Dressing it up with an attractive idea would be the "spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down". In the case of breathing exercises I referred my child to Uncle Iroh instructing Zuko on breathing exercises as part of Fire bending training, which made it cool and worth pursuing. It should be noted that Fire bending(in the show) is a direct overlay of my particular martial art, so that grain of truth, of which they were already familiar, was present to help it along. The martial aspect is particularly important because sudden, overwhelming feelings often pop up when being assaulted. We know that as careful as we want to be, fights at school, abuse from above, or an enraged partner DO happen. Learning to stay calm will help more than fight or flight IMHO

First -Oh noo sooooo sorry I did by accident, not the intention. I hit the wrong button.
and second, thank you so much for posting. Keep the good words coming

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZeroVerheilenRiniTavi