Event: Day of Meditation for Harvey Victims- This Sunday

More
6 years 7 months ago #300394 by MadHatter

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Sorry seeksthelight but it does hurt. Every hour of wasted effort in useless introspection is an hour lost to help. Energy does not translate to physical need. How about spending an hour in moving meditation, as Je'daii do, while doing whatever job you hold down with the intent of donating that hours wages to relief efforts? That is an effective use of meditation. The rest is just mental masturbation to make your ego feel better.

Not everyone believes as you do. Some do believe that prayer or focused meditation helps. Further, there are studies that indicate that it might help at least as far as healing after surgery is concerned. ( though there are issues with such studies to be sure ) Meditation is or should be part of a Jedis daily routine in my opinion so directing that meditation towards a current event if you are going to do it any how is not hurting anything and if it helps so much the better. Plus there is nothing that says one cant do both passive meditation and active charity.

Finally no it can't hurt. To hurt is to cause pain, distress, or detriment to a person, cause or object. This means that you would have to make the situation WORSE in some manner and meditation towards helping the situation or about the situation even if it's useless in your eyes does not make things worse. You can say it's useless but you can't say it hurts.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Avalon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300395 by
I'm posting here because I was the impetus for making this event. Not because I'm "back". I'm not.

Meditations like this are not meant to be introspective (although, they certainly can have that effect). They are meant to center and focus. The work for Harvey is not finished now that it is slowly falling out of the news cycle. In fact, I'd say we are moving into a new phase of work. Relief efforts must be sustained beyond our initial feelings about the disaster. People are still feeling Katrina and Sandy. We will feel Harvey for years to come too. When we, as a community, focus our thoughts and feelings on this matter, we can remind ourselves to continue the work.

And, that's the major thing. You are all right to note that prayer or meditation on its own will do nothing. But, here is a ritualized chance for us to commit to continuing support of those in Houston and southeast Texas.

If you do not feel moved by this opportunity, then don't worry about it. It will have the intended effect for those who seek it out.

As to the comments made about wasting time... We require both introspection and action. Both are necessary. This can be an opportunity for you to ponder how best you can help. Efficiency is better than mindlessly throwing money. Spend the time thoughtfully researching on-the-ground, local groups that will do the charitable work and use most of your donation. I know I am going to come up with my own plan to become a first responder tomorrow. That's going to be my goal.

Let's not limit ourselves by what we think meditation has to mean. We can be better.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300398 by

JLSpinner wrote: Kyrin dial it down a notch, please. This forum isn't here to shove your opinions down the throats of others.

I wasn't shoving anything. I was offering discerning yet constructive criticism to your superstitions. Am I being censored in this regard? Considering the fact that I think I have also been blocked by a council and clergy member over a totally different conversation this speaks volumes. Either drink the coolaid or be ousted.

More
6 years 7 months ago #300401 by MadHatter

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

JLSpinner wrote: Kyrin dial it down a notch, please. This forum isn't here to shove your opinions down the throats of others.

I wasn't shoving anything. I was offering discerning yet constructive criticism to your superstitions. Am I being censored in this regard? Considering the fact that I think I have also been blocked by a council and clergy member over a totally different conversation this speaks volumes. Either drink the coolaid or be ousted.

It is not a matter of censorship. No one is stopping you from posting your opinion. They are asking you to do so in a way that is more respectful of the beliefs of others. It's not even a demand, it's a request. Big difference. This is a place of learning and spiritual growth so a certain level of decorum and civility is appreciated when dealing with others spiritual beliefs even if you do not share them. That is all that is asked.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300431 by
Kyrin,

You honor me by responding to my post. A person with so much knowledge has much to teach to a lowly initiate like me. I will reflect on your words and take them as a lesson from the universe and attempt to learn from them.

You also honor me by saying I am superstitious. Hundreds of thousands of my ancestors were called this and were killed for their refusal to end their superstitious beliefs and practices. They were one with the force and I know they must be smiling today to know that someone called my beliefs superstitious. It is a great honor.

I was NOT disagreeing with your post in full. As for my meditating while working that is not something plausible considering my job. I will, however, be moving and meditating as I rarely have the patience to sit or remain still. I have taken action to aide those who are victims of Harvey in every way that I can. This is just one more way.

I would ask a favor. If in future you respond to an initiate's post please remember that they may be hurt by the words you write. Many people are very sensitive and as initiates without the benefit of a Master's guidance they may not recover from such a response as you provided. I am too old and have experienced enough to take anything other than learning from our tet à tête. There are others though who might not receive your post as the lesson it was and might be harmed by it. Thank you again for your words.

I wish you peace.

StL
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by . Reason: To direct it to the correct person

More
6 years 7 months ago #300435 by Alethea Thompson
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/01/nyregion/meditating-to-try-to-lower-crime-rate.html

Later on the findings suggested a 23.3% decrease in violent crimes during this period.

Granted, however, is that the study took place shortly after Clinton took office and this is more probable of a reason for the reduction.

Which may be true of many of these "studies", they might very well be linked to coincidences. And some look a bit exaggerated.

https://www.mum.edu/about-mum/consciousness-based-education/tm-research/maharishi-effect/Summary-of-13-Published-Studies

https://tmhome.com/benefits/study-maharishi-effect-group-meditation-crime-rate/

But let's get to what else introspection can do:

Tell you how you can help.

Maybe by meditating and connecting with this disaster, something will click. You'll have that "AHA!" moment where your personal talents can be available. Maybe you'll come up with a phenomenal fundraising idea that can support the relief effort. Maybe you'll realize you have the ability to help in another capacity, like maybe you'll find a way you can get down to TX and give some of your time. Or you'll realize you can convince your business manager to donate if you have their ear.

If you think introspection is just about learning how to be self-aware, you're missing out on how it's capable of assisting in overcoming a problem.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, MadHatter

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300437 by Alethea Thompson
Btw, Kyrin- I'll give you that you've not been around long enough to know this: but there are many people in our community which cannot work, or cannot convince their jobs to let them work an extra hour at their minimum wage job which barely pays the bills as it is. It's very insensitive to push such a point when they may already feel helpless in their circumstances to give back.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300446 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

I'm sorry if you feel censored or oppressed here. My post was merely asking for you to dial back the aggression. I think we can talk about this without shaming others or referring to revered practises as mental masturbation. You're very intelligent. But you will not succeed well in communicating that intelligence until you learn to communicate effectively. Think before acting Kyrin. That's the whole point of this post more than likely. A time to examine the situation in careful and considered detail and plan your move. It's easy to find faults and criticize. It's harder to genuinely make a difference.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #300477 by Alethea Thompson
For those that participated or are still looking to participate sometime today, thank you for taking the time. ^^

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J