Lightsaber

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50144 by
Replied by on topic Re: Lightsaber
It's lamentable that people here seem to hate the Expanded Universe. Because if you look into it, you'll see that there are several lightsaber techniques that are clearly based on European martial arts, Form II in particular. I myself am thinking about buying a lightsaber from ultrasabers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50145 by
can you link it, i'm fairly new to SW things ("Expanded Universe" is from SW??). Sword forms are real interesting!!! :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #50151 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Lightsaber
For me the Expanded Universe (EU) is a term for anything produced to be in the Star Wars fantasy world, that isnt the 6 movies. Others might have different definitions, but basically that's it, so EU covers anything introduced outside of the 6 movies. Though now with Clone Wars et al it probably could mean anything not directly produced by LucasArts. I'm not sure what StarForge was referring too about it being hated here!?

The Temple doesn't tell anyone to exclude anything....but its just that since we use themes that were crafted into the movies, and we all probably love the movies, that its important for spiritual development to be able to distinguish between the spiritual stuff and the stuff which is just for fun.

From what I've gathered most people here enjoy the EU just as much as the movies, but most of the EU stuff is based on the movies, wheras the movies were based on human myths and spirituality. That doesnt mean the EU is worthless though, as it might very well contain an evolution of original spiritual concepts if the authors had interest in those aspects.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50154 by
And this is why I am only here for discussion and not membership. I've seen this in every Jediism group. If all Star Wars boils down to is a metaphor for world religions and Campbell, then the message is lost entirely.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #50157 by

If all Star Wars boils down to is a metaphor for world religions and Campbell, then the message is lost entirely.

I'm curious as to what that has to do with Jediism itself. From what i've seen and read, Jediism is not about Star Wars and what Star Wars stands for. There are many Jedi (I remember there being one or two here in the forum) who have admitted that they don't even care much for Star Wars. What Star Wars stands for is not the focus of Jediism, and I feel it shouldn't be. It's a great thing to talk about, and can be educational, but it should not be the main focus of Jediism...that's part of where our bad press comes in.

EDIT:
Star Wars from the mouth of the creator himself:
The Mythology of Star Wars
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50159 by

Hadi Apollos wrote:

If all Star Wars boils down to is a metaphor for world religions and Campbell, then the message is lost entirely.

I'm curious as to what that has to do with Jediism itself. From what i've seen and read, Jediism is not about Star Wars and what Star Wars stands for. There are many Jedi (I remember there being one or two here in the forum) who have admitted that they don't even care much for Star Wars. What Star Wars stands for is not the focus of Jediism, and I feel it shouldn't be. It's a great thing to talk about, and can be educational, but it should not be the main focus of Jediism...that's part of where our bad press comes in.

EDIT:
Star Wars from the mouth of the creator himself:
The Mythology of Star Wars

This is what I mean. If they don't like Star Wars, then they shouldn't call themselves Jedi. It's common sense. It would be like an anti-Semite wanting to be a rabbi. I really wish all the Jediists would just forego the "Jedi" theme and just call themselves "New-age interfaith mythology fans" or something similar. What about the real Jedi? The few who read the canonical literature about what a Jedi is and is not, and follow it? Maybe we have no problem with Jediists. I can't speak for all Jedi, but I know I don't. What I DO have a problem with, is people attaching the Jedi name to something it is not, and worst of all, being lumped in with those people.

I have more respect for Daniel Jones at the Church of Jediism than I do for most Jediists. I mean sure, his Jediism is obviously tongue in cheek, and as many have suggested, it is probably a money making operation for him, but at least he makes it obvious. He just wants media attention, that's all, and no one ever for ONE SECOND thinks he's trying to do anything deeper than that, because he's never seriously made an effort to say or do otherwise. He just wants to play bass in his punk rock band and have fun. He's no more of a misrepresentation of the Jedi way than the millions of kids who run around with toy lightsabers.

I've followed the Jedi way for years, with varying degrees of commitment, and in the past month I've acknowledged that that is what I am. Now, you can guess (or may have experienced) the bad side of openly identifying yourself as a Jedi. People think of me as a nerd at best, crazy at worst. I tell you, the pain I feel from Jediists who denigrate and de-value the Jedi way is far worse than the discrimination I face in the world.

Forgive my bluntless. I don't hold any hostility toward Jediists, but I just wish they'd choose another name. Like you said, it's pretty clear that Star Wars doesn't have much to do with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50160 by
"And this is why I am only here for discussion and not membership. I've seen this in every Jediism group. If all Star Wars boils down to is a metaphor for world religions and Campbell, then the message is lost entirely."

It's kind of hard to totaly not refer to SW and to totaly ignore it since we consider ourself as JEDIists and talking about the Force all the time. We can gather great things from SW movies, it inspire(ed) many of us, without being a sin or killing our spirituality. I don't know much about the SW universe... but i'm kind of thrill and excited to see things who are some how a little "related" to my faith.

I reopened this forum because i wanted to share my views on the Kendo(and other sword martial arts), to say how the "way of the sword" could be a nice supplement for many of us. Lightsabers are like the "jedi symbol" for many of us as for "outsiders", and with the "way of the sword", the same SW "geek" props can become a tool on our spiritual path... I though it could be great to share this with all... i did'nt intended to offence anyone.

+it's a SW forum(look upper)... peoples should expect to see SW related subjects here, and to see peoples trying to do parallels betwin reality and fiction.

More
12 years 3 months ago #50162 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Lightsaber
I've never made a lightsaber before but I have learned quite well a few basic techniques of saber fighting from various diagrams from a few Star Wars tech books I checked out from the library once. I learned a lot from them and turned around and taught most of it to various friends and practiced doing choreography with them using the techniques I learned. I got to film one of them but it went to a friend and I haven't seen it since.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
12 years 3 months ago #50163 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Lightsaber
The people's forum

General section for chit-chat, news, humor, politics, art, trade, star wars stuff...

To Whom It May Concern,

Maybe the purpose of this section is not as clear as we'd thought. This is a section for non-Jediism, non-Order etc subjects. This is for discussion about hobbies, books, science fiction, jokes and riddles, politics, art, travel, recipes, movies, entertainment ... and yes even the fictional Star Wars Universe and prop and toy lightsabers.

Labels are great servants and horrible masters. We can play the 'you should not call yourself' or 'you should call yourself' game Ultima Thule and get nowhere. Look at the [strike]wide[/strike] vast variety of beliefs that make up the over 38,000 cataloged Christian denominations. T

The Order is here for those who want it and we don't charge anyone for membership. Those who want to participate but not be a member are welcome as guests. We don't censor criticism. We welcome suggestions. These things can get to a point where it become just downright free range rudeness.

Sometimes we think a notion to death and still keep stabbing it. It's like mashing mashed potatoes. There's mental constipation too. Where's a good mental enema when you need one?

The Order is not going to please everybody and we're not foolish enough to try.

And please go back and re-read those two bold lines at the top of this post.

p.s.

That's an interesting assessment of Daniel though Star Forge. We've had some discussion on Skype. One last December went well over three hours. He's very likable. He's a fine musician and I bought his band's (Straight Jacket Legends) EP on iTunes a couple of weeks ago. Let's give him a shout out.

http://www.ianbeale.com/

http://www.facebook.com/straightjacketlegends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZWKHkQcYc

Founder of The Order

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi