Did the Jedi have sorcery or magic similar to the Sith?

More
7 years 2 months ago #274904 by MadHatter
I have read several stories of Sith artifacts and the use of Sith sorcery. But that got me to thinking did the Jedi have anything similar to this? Does anyone know what separated sorcery from regular Force use? Does anyone have any sources to look into this further? Any good books that cover it?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275172 by
That, I recall, is something only hinted at, and not confirmed. In canon or legends. In fact, only variant powers exist which suggest that. Like Plo Koon's Force power that is like Force lightning. Even excluding powers, at least in canon, the Jedi embody purity in many ways, but not all, obviously. They likely used the Force in its purist state and in ways that do not violate the Force, for any reason.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275189 by
No. Jedi did not have such magics.

They did have training tools however. Like the Mind Cube (I don't recall it's real name) Such examples will really only be found in the Power of the Jedi Source Book

What people tend to commonly forget is that....Jedi were not Mystics. They were Military trained force wielders

however

If we trace Legends history back to the Je'daii. You might possibly find more magic like practices (using the force with props) as they were a conglomeration of various races and mystical practices combined. Many of which used the force to infuse weapons and physical items along with other such methods.

Je'daii....are not specifically Jedi. But are close enough. You might also look into other force user schools....

Jedi simply practiced how to fight and use their force skills in said fight. Unless you were a Reject....then you learned how to use the force to grow plants. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275751 by
As far as I can recall, the Jedi tend to stick with the most basic Force abilities. It's really not in their nature to seek out more avenues of power. Knowledge and defense, etc.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275757 by Carlos.Martinez3
is this question asking for Jedi as in movie reality or real life ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276519 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: is this question asking for Jedi as in movie reality or real life ?

Well, it's in the Star Wars board, so I would assume movie. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276538 by
As far as I understand, Sith sorcery(alchemy) is exposing a physical object to the raw power of the dark side. So, maybe? I'm sure it COULD be plausible however; I doubt the Jedi of the original six movies would have used it though as they seem fairly passive in action, submitting to the will of the force rather than using it to effect the physical. I think that having a physical representation of the force, light or dark, could induce attachment instead of seeking the force in the non-physical. This of course is all speculative assumption based on my limited knowledge of Jedi vs Sith differences. Put simply, the divisive factor seems to be who the individual is using the force to benefit.

TL;DR - I....don't really know. Haha

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi