Duelist

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267340 by
Duelist was created by
I was wondering are there any duelist on here who be willing to share stories and possibly point me in the direction so I may grow myself in the art of dueling.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267347 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Duelist
What sort of dueling?
I personally know an ex-olympic fencer who gave me some pointers, have a friend who is very competitive in several IPSC pistol classes, and know quite a few competitive martial artists.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not sure how much more I can help you without a bit of specificity.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267348 by
Replied by on topic Duelist
I am not a duelist. However One should probably know how to use a blade before they duel :) Might I suggest finding and Kendo club? Or joining one of your local Re-enactment groups? Include the family! Its loads of fun :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267349 by
Yeah, I have spent a lot of time researching and actually study the forms of lightsaber combat. I have proven to myself that I'm decent as I have in two occasions been undefeated at a local Star Wars Convention. I'm just looking for some of the competitive duelists here in the temple to give me professional help. I would like this so I can take it to the next level as everything I have learned was on my own.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267491 by
Has been a while since I fenced competitively; I did some historical fencing competition once in a blue moon, when I was still interested in martial arts competition for myself, instead of just something to indulge my students. Note; I had formal kenjutsu and HEMA training for about seven years before I ever entered a competition, so my suggestions should be taken with that into account. Although I credit what follows as helping me improve, it was simply building on extent skills.

One thing I found helped was oddly Tai Chi sword play; the emphasis on proprioception significantly improved the quality of my technique. The second was practising Shinken Shirahadori in as part of my training in Wado-Ryu; developing unarmed self-defence skills against the sword helped me move away from the very restrictive mindset of sword to sword. The confidence to move around the opponent's weapon, without relying on one's own, created many more tactical pathways. I also used some of the Hojo Undo techniques involving a bokuto as propagated by Yanagawa Sensei in his Budo Karate, and found this helped me develop dynamic speed and power with the sword as well as my punching technique.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi