[Star Wars Forum] - EU Defunct?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #215349 by Jestor
Browsing Reddit, this brought up a valid point, most here will agree...

Attachment h81a4459.png not found

I don't follow any of the fiction but the movies, but Disney was to NOT honor the EU..

And then, the point I thought of, was:

This is why taking a fictional story as canon is a bad idea...

Any of you guys see the "EU is Canon" people? What are they going do? It is what would happen if Jesus showed up, and said, "that book is old, lets pick it up from here"... It is the modern death of a philosophical way for some folks, isn't it?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215351 by
Replied by on topic [Star Wars Forum] - EU Defunct?
Muurrr....I am not quite following your thought process here Jestor :dry:

I am one of those that still follow the EU as Cannon. And the snap shot there is correct....Chewie owed a life debt. That life debt would transfer to Han's next of kin (sons/daughters) Until Chewie himself died. This was actually something I quite admired in Chewie.... Wookies are very honorable in this way and there is no way you can sway them from that honor. Quite a good history goes into it if you read the EU and learned about it :)

Disney....well....No idea what they will do about it now.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215356 by Adder
A bit limiting to confine ones view of the potential to someone elses view. Sort of defeats the joy in creating and driving improvements - growing. But I'm a bit biased, as the EU let Star Wars die for me in the early 90's. What I read was too bland and shallow at the time. I was reading a lot of good sci-fi so the EU stuff fell way short. While the original trilogy set me off on my spiritual journey, the topic of Star Wars did not constitute much of it. At least that let me absorb myself into other paths I guess!!!

Then the prequels felt like kidflicks, and so they didn't register as anything other the eye candy. It wasn't until 2011 that I remembered I actually really liked Star Wars, hence finding Jediism. No wonder a causative agent forms the backbone of relationships to all my other interests since then.

But looking back at nearly 20 years of EU fiction, I can find the odd bit of interesting material in the EU. I certainly would not consider it 'canon', as my own imagination is much more interesting, though there it is useful to fill in blanks until I overwrite it with better ideas
:ohmy: :blush:
I like the idea of a depth in a narrative, but it needn't be the only one. Its the strands which make the web, and the position of the strands in the web which defines the strands.... but why only build one web!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215357 by

Adder wrote: certainly would not consider it 'canon', as my own imagination is much more interesting

haha well when you put it that way ;) I was TRYING to not be Vain ;) I certianly enjoy most of my own Star Wars Fan Fics more :-p But....well. They are my own amateur writings XD haha

At the end of the day I take what I like and pitch what I don't. IF Disney presents something I like....Ill put it as part of my timeline of cannon. So far though....i havn't seen anything of the new stuff that I like so....EU content it is.

.....Or Mine....that too ;)
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215507 by
I try to not be attached to anything as unchangeable holy scripture. I think of them like myths. They have a life of their own and change over time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 3 months ago #215526 by Jestor

Kitsu Tails wrote: Muurrr....I am not quite following your thought process here Jestor :dry:

I am one of those that still follow the EU as Cannon. And the snap shot there is correct....Chewie owed a life debt. That life debt would transfer to Han's next of kin (sons/daughters) Until Chewie himself died. This was actually something I quite admired in Chewie.... Wookies are very honorable in this way and there is no way you can sway them from that honor. Quite a good history goes into it if you read the EU and learned about it :)

Disney....well....No idea what they will do about it now.

Well, it seems that so many put there ideologies in the EU, that now that the 'official purveyors of SW' have swept it aside, that it will fall into the annuls of history, and there will be people who will say, "Thats crap, the EU was around before Disney bought it, and Disney shouldnt do that."

Should/Shouldnt, it is, 'what is', and denying it, will not get anyone, anywhere....

If that happens, they are certainly entitled to their feelings, however, the simple fact is that it will not be an officially recognized part of the SW world, and will probably die out, as Disney has the ability to flood the market (and I am sure they will) with so much SW stuff, that the kids wont bother reading them, and it will be left to 'old timers'...

As you (since you offered yourself up) use the EU as Canon, I watch with interest, to see if I am right, and how this plays out...

Simply, because, I wonder if it will be an end of a 'belief'? If I am watching a NRM (New religious Movement) faction, that I also kinda see being born, getting ready to die...

My point, asides the live/die, is that to set a belief in a story that doesnt change, is not exactly, well, a good idea...

In 50 years, will there still be people talking about how the EU was ruint (lol) by Disney? Like we talk about the bibe being an outdated book?

lol, just pondering, lol...

NO offence meant, just speculatin'... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215527 by
I simply do not see why, if Disney doesnt like it, its out, or should be a point of contention with real life practitioners.

The books exist, and if im not mistaken will continue to be in print.

Disney is not what I consider to be the authority on real life practice.

If I want to still be inspired by the EU, or recommend it, I will.

However I seldom use fiction as any point of reference these days. We have years of people who have compiled there own work. Real Jedi, Real Sith, and I most often point people in those directions. Those that have asked me about the Sith here I have given access to writings of real people.

To me, in many ways, the fiction is defunct as a whole.

Its mostly just entertainment that inspires occasionally.

At one time, it was all we had, but that is far, far, from being the case today.

I still hope for the day that I am not quoted the words of a puppet, but of real people as what it means to be a Jedi more often than not.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215529 by
Well....Isn't the death and rebirth a milestone of the "Hero's Journey?"

Of course things will live, flourish and eventually die to be replaced by something new. Just how life goes....

But i look at it the same way I do my grandmother and grandfather....they lived in a generation that is long since dead and gone and replaced with "That new fangled stuff." ........ Dosn't mean i should Disrespect them for being "That old School stuff" Just as I would hope they would respect me for being in the new generation.

Same goes for the Jedi Community. I was apart of the Old Guard. The Old Days, and my beliefs, practices and applications are of that time. I still can't understand some of the wish washy new stuff the community is moving into....

But that's just the spirit of Life.

There is old

There is New

Both deserve a measure of respect.

The Expanded Universe and Legends of Old Star Wars will never die - So long as I and others like me are around to share it with our children :) It may not be popular....But I don't read them for popularity.

***Speaking of....I seriously need to get my old star wars library started.... :-/ ***
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 3 months ago #215550 by Jestor

Khaos wrote: I simply do not see why, if Disney doesnt like it, its out, or should be a point of contention with real life practitioners.

The books exist, and if im not mistaken will continue to be in print.

Disney is not what I consider to be the authority on real life practice.

If I want to still be inspired by the EU, or recommend it, I will.

However I seldom use fiction as any point of reference these days. We have years of people who have compiled there own work. Real Jedi, Real Sith, and I most often point people in those directions. Those that have asked me about the Sith here I have given access to writings of real people.

To me, in many ways, the fiction is defunct as a whole.

Its mostly just entertainment that inspires occasionally.

At one time, it was all we had, but that is far, far, from being the case today.

I do not use fiction either...

After your post, you spurred me to look to see WHAT they had said about the EU....

http://www.tor.com/2014/04/25/disney-and-del-rey-announce-new-qunified-canonq-for-upcoming-star-wars-expanded-universe-novels/

And you are right, they are not getting rid of it, as just changing it a bit...

From what I had already read, (rumors prior to the actual news release link I posted) they were going to do away with the EU, and I took that to mean "stop production/printing"... I see that was an error on my part, but I dont follow the EU, and assumed (lol) that if it had changed, as was to 'saved', then I would have heard...

Ah well...

Khaos wrote: I still hope for the day that I am not quoted the words of a puppet, but of real people as what it means to be a Jedi more often than not.

That puppet uttered the most memorable quote... "I'll be back", will allways be said as the Terminator, and that's just life...

I think you will never NOT hear that quoted... You will be dead a long time before that phrase stops, lol...

As for other quotes, well, we are all so new, would you recognize a great quote if you heard it? lol...

Here, you want a great, recent quote, "I am Dark, because I am not yet light." ~Relan Volkum~

I freaking love that quote... haha...

Kitsu wrote: Well....Isn't the death and rebirth a milestone of the "Hero's Journey?"

Of course things will live, flourish and eventually die to be replaced by something new. Just how life goes....

It is indeed...

However, I watched EU followers, talk about how that the EU was the 'end all, be all', of the Jedi Universe...

Well, I just wondered how it would affect them, lol...

As I said, I mistakenly thought the EU would be done, my bad, lol...

Kitsu wrote: There is old

There is New

Both deserve a measure of respect.

Yes, and something both 'new and old' fall short on sometimes...

Need to stay vigilant... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215552 by

Jestor wrote: It is indeed...

However, I watched EU followers, talk about how that the EU was the 'end all, be all', of the Jedi Universe...

Well, I just wondered how it would affect them, lol...

As I said, I mistakenly thought the EU would be done, my bad, lol...[/color]

Well....LoL...Since when were hard core geeks of any fiction reasonable in their hard core-ness?

As I said....I loved the EU and Legends and especially loved the Jedi Academy Series. There were alot of things I loved about the old Star Wars......but there were also a ton of things I hated and more than once found myself skipping chapters to get to the main plots. (In fact anything that involved the empire I rarely read deeply due to it being too over the top lol)

Think no matter which way you cut it....The Hard Core will be bitter no matter what anyone does. Even a movie completely focused on the EU would still be seen as poorly done.

Heck, look at Harry Potter.

Yes, and something both 'new and old' fall short on sometimes...

Need to stay vigilant... lol...

No lie there....But we are all humans prone to misstakes ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi