Star Wars Rebels discussion

More
9 years 1 month ago #183348 by TheDude
So Star Wars Rebels just finished its first season. How is everyone liking the show so far?
As of right now I'm not sure whether or not I like it as much as The Clone Wars. That season finale was extremely good, though, and it makes me think this show has the potential to become far better than The Clone Wars.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #183353 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Star Wars Rebels discussion
Haven't been able to see it yet. I did like The Clone Wars (when they weren't about the droids), which were luckily shown free-to-air here, quite a bit of fun but I was really only interested in the Jedi and Sith aspects (and other Force users).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #183358 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Star Wars Rebels discussion
the use of ahsoka to tie the prequel material to the original was clever...if she's still "snips" then next season should be interesting

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183359 by
Replied by on topic Star Wars Rebels discussion
I LOVE it so far. :D I hope everybody reading this has seen the whole first season or they are gonna be MADDDD. lol.

But, seriously, Rebels is shaping up to be just as good as Clone Wars. Had a slow start, I think... a little juvenile. But, I am liking the maturity that is coming with it.

What I really like is that Star Wars is a "kids thing" with mature subject matter (freedom/loyalty/exploration/spirituality/etc.) and they don't dumb it down or shy away. They show death. They show evil. They show shades of grey. Star Wars is my favorite (and is becoming MORE of my favorite) thing because of this. The creative teams are making art, not 'kiddie shows'.

If this helps set a precedent for the art my children will grow up with, then I am happy. A light hearted, yet meaningful treatment of reality is so much more important to me than shows that don't have any substance.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184697 by
I like Star Wars rebels however I under no circumstances think it has the potential to become better than the Clone Wars. That said I do think it has the potential to be almost but not quite as good as the Clone Wars.

More
9 years 1 month ago #184704 by Breeze el Tierno
Star Wars: Rebels puts me back in my Star Wars happy place. I quite enjoy it.

I was born in '77, so the first Star Wars film I saw was Empire. I didn't see New Hope Until much later. My first exposure to the Jedi training included the idea that Jedi trained in a very personal way out away from other people. It could be in a swamp, the back of a ship, or wherever. If I were training someone in person, it would happen in parks, the woods, coffee shops, etc.

The prequels always rubbed me wrong because I knew this was the period of decadence before everything fell apart. I wanted my Jedi rustic and intimate. Clone Wars was fun, but I always knew I was looking at decay. Everyone whined about how remote, lazy, and corrupt the Jedi were. And were often right. Shame, that.

Rebels does it for me because they are doing it on their own, in whatever environment they find. And they are doing it on the sly, which I always find charming. Also, I enjoy watching Kanan learn at least as much as Ezra does through the training process. I hope to have a similar experience.

What I enjoy about the show is the seat-of-the-pants-ness of it all. It has an Empire Strikes Back feel to it. No room to get lazy or cocky. Living serenely on the edge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
9 years 1 month ago #184725 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Star Wars Rebels discussion
I mirror Cabur's sentiments.

Sort bringing it back to its roots, by the feel of it, for me.

I enjoy it immensely.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184733 by

SeekerofWisdom wrote: I like Star Wars rebels however I under no circumstances think it has the potential to become better than the Clone Wars. That said I do think it has the potential to be almost but not quite as good as the Clone Wars.

Look at you, not backing up your claims with reasons. lol.

What's going on in there? Why do you feel Clone Wars was so perfect?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184757 by

Connor L. wrote:

SeekerofWisdom wrote: I like Star Wars rebels however I under no circumstances think it has the potential to become better than the Clone Wars. That said I do think it has the potential to be almost but not quite as good as the Clone Wars.

Look at you, not backing up your claims with reasons. lol.

What's going on in there? Why do you feel Clone Wars was so perfect?

First of all, I don't like that Disney ditched all the EU.
But more importantly I liked how at least in the later seasons the show became dark, gritty, grim and depressing. And I loved the VERY bittersweet ending of season 5. It was my favorite part of the show.
I understand that other people may prefer the lighter feel of the show, but I don't and I know that a Disney show would be any of those four adjectives.
That said I still enjoy the show.
I guess what I should have said is not that it will never be as good, but that I personally will never enjoy it as much.
Does that explanation satisfy you?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184799 by
Don't ever answer anything to satisfy me. I only asked because I felt like you were speaking off the cuff instead of thinking critically about it.

Disney ditched the EU because it wants to create a more enriching, linear Star Wars. The Legends is not "not" canon... you realize that right? Legends is its OWN canon. There can be more than one canon... and the idea that there can only be one is naïve to the realities of the universe. Think of it as multiverses. lol. In that way, I think it's fun! We get a second go at the reality that is Star Wars, who wouldn't want that?!

I believe Rebels is a dark enough show, and will probably get darker (as most shows do that aren't comedies). We're about to get season 2... check back at season 6 and tell me if you still think it's not dark.
Disney is not afraid to kill people on screen? Disney will go gritty, I assure you.

Here's what I'm thinking: Rebels will be dark in its own way. It's a show about war (I think people forget that Star Wars is about intergalactic conflict, first and foremost). People die. People fight. People we care about get hurt emotionally and physically. Jedi will be challenged. Sith will be fought. It's going to get rough, I can almost guarantee it. If Disney goes soft and takes out the hardcore, then they will lose everything that makes Star Wars... Star Wars. You cannot strip away the themes of conflict and growth because then the story is meaningless. Disney is smart enough to know this and keep the spirit of the franchise.

Here's why I know:
You see all those Star Wars fans out there? You know what demographic they are? Everywhere from 3 years old to 100. People from every generation love star wars. I bet we have some old farts around here who watch Rebels, even if they're too embarrassed to say it out loud. Disney knows their demographic has to please everybody. Lucas knew this too. He tried to expand by adding Jar Jar... what a horrible idea that was... Yoda caters to the old and wise. You see literally EVERY type of being and value system represented in Star Wars. My father, who doesn't like anything entertainmentwise, loves Star Wars.

Do you know what the only piece of Star Wars is consistently hated on? The first couple of books that came out after New Hope (just because quality control...), and the Holiday Special. You know why? Because they took out the grit. If that special had had a ton of lightsaber fights, people dying, people being challenged, and they came together and sang songs at the end? It still would have been heralded.

Star Wars MUST keep its grime to stay afloat. And, I know Disney is smart enough to realize that. You'll get your dark show.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi