Your favorite Expanded Universe media

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #176411 by
I am currently listening to Star Wars audio books and dramas in my car, plus my bedtime reading consists of old SW Marvel omnibuses (the 'A long time ago...' volumes) and recently the newspaper strip collections. My favorite novels are probably A. C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy and Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy (although these don't get so much universal love, it seems). The NPR audio dramas are outstanding (and canon, I would think?). I've read some recent SW 'graphic novels' but there's something about the older comics that appeal more to me, even though the artwork is simplistic and the continuity shaky at best. What non-canonical media do you embrace?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #176426 by
I really liked 'The Clone Wars' show. I also read two comic mini series that released last year 'Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir" and 'Star Wars: Rebel Heist.' Both were pretty good. The ongoing comics at the time weren't great. I am looking forward to the new comics being released in the next two months by Marvel. I think one is just called 'Star Wars' and the other is 'Darth Vader.' I believe both will take place during the time of the original trilogy and be considered canon since they are coming out after Disney wiped the EU from existance so that they could replace it with their own. That's probably why they're having Marvel do it since Disney also owns the Marvel cinimatic universe.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #176440 by
I watched the entire 'Clone Wars' series chronologically last year, using this list:

starwars.com

I enjoyed them, on the whole, even though it's not my favorite time period in the SW universe. I haven't seen much of 'Rebels' as we don't have cable.

I can understand why Disney would want to establish a canonical universe, what with more films in the pipeline, and therefore relegate older EU media to 'Legends'. I don't fully understand why they seem reluctant to authorize new Legends material.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #183350 by TheDude

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #183357 by RyuJin
anything starwars really...

kotor, jedi academy, the jedi knight game series, the d20/d6 books.

disney won't authorize any new "legends" material because they want to perpetuate they're universe only...why try to fit in what already exists, when you can erase it and start anew...most of the legends material was done independently and only carried the approval of lucasarts...all of the new canon will only be done by disney owned/sanctioned sources

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #183361 by
I'm not overly upset about that. I am an adult, and I can fully reconcile that two different interpretations of the same "Universe" can exist. There are those out there who think that Disney removing canon from the Legends means their lives are unimportant. If they put their life in the hands of a story... oy!

To be honest, Disney puts out good work. All their Star Wars stuff so far has been top notch. I'm not worried. Only, I fear they may begin to market specifically to kids (Rebels is the start, even though it has kept my interest as an adult)... If that is the case, then I may become tired of that after a while.

I hope they remember their primary audience is still people who grew up with SW in the 80s and also the prequel babies from the 90s/00s. They will need to appeal to a WIDE range of audience. And, that is good... because that means it could be another cultural phenomenon.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi