Movie/Character/Jediism Question

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144341 by
I wasn't sure where to put this questions exactly so I'm putting it in the Star Wars section just to be safe.

To what extent do we look at Jedi from the film/comic book/book universe as examples of Jediism?

What role do those Jedi play in Jediism? Would it function in a similar way to patron saints or would that be considered idolatry?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #144344 by Zenchi
The fiction has little to nothing to do with the faith/path IMO. If you are interested in the foundations from which the Jedi in the movies (and Jediism in general) are based upon, look to eastern philosophy such as Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, and the Bushido...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #144345 by Adder
I guess a fictional character could represent an ideal version of how one might see a Jedi, but for me though the fiction means they are not real (lol@myself, obviously) and therefore only incomplete representations showing only the bits needed to express a message, and not the full personal identity and broader reality of living in, well.. reality.

So I see them as at best just snapshot portrayal's of deeper characters who are people firstly, and Jedi secondly - this way I can try to relate them to the complexities of real life better.

From what is shown of the character, each one might have various bits which are relevant to me and lots which are not, and I do not view them as examples of anything out of the ordinary in my path - certainly not ideal representations of a Jedi. They can be great mnemonics though!!!

For something to be considered saintly to me, it might perhaps have had to live a full life full of commitment to that way, and/or died in that service. Looking back through history its interesting to wonder who might represent that sort of thing to the things which I personally hold important for a Jedi, but its likely a personal/individual thing. Nothing in the fiction would meet that grade for me.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #144396 by Ben
It's really down to you, the individual...

I guess most people that find their way here have been influenced by Star Wars to look for Jediism. But I suppose that it depends on how much you value mythical symbolism. Me - not so much. I idolize the values and and ideals of the Jedi in the films, not the Jedi/characters themselves. Watching the films was the starting point for many of my current philosophical and spiritual world views - a catalyst - but I don't need to keep referring back to them in order to know the path that I want to walk. I often forget that Star Wars has anything to do with Jediism - because, in terms of my personal faith, it doesn't really.

Some of our doctrine is based on parts of the fiction (The Code, etc). But some of it isn't. One of our most important pieces of doctrine is the TOTJO Creed, which is Christian in origin and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Star Wars. As a religion/organisation, we most certainly don't see the Jedi characters as being like patron saints or anything - they are only usually referred to briefly in passing (if at all) to illustrate the odd point here or there - but that's not to say that you personally shouldn't take great inspiration from them.

I think it really just comes down to the extent to which you feel that you do or don't need metaphor to play a part in your religion/path. If keeping firmly in touch with a symbolic, metaphorical representation of Jediism helps you, then Star Wars is obviously the perfect place to keep returning to.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Ben.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144399 by
Replied by on topic Movie/Character/Jediism Question
There is nothing wrong with using the fiction, if a fictional story helps you to understand something then it is valuable, whether it is from Star Wars, Isaac Asimov or the Bible. The problem arises when people start saying that this is the way Jedi should be simply because that is the way it was in the fiction.

We here do not recognise the fiction as holding authoritative value above any other media product.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144401 by
I believe to the extent of mythology or parables.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144402 by

Akkarin wrote: There is nothing wrong with using the fiction, if a fictional story helps you to understand something then it is valuable, whether it is from Star Wars, Isaac Asimov or the Bible. The problem arises when people start saying that this is the way Jedi should be simply because that is the way it was in the fiction.

We here do not recognise the fiction as holding authoritative value above any other media product.

I understand the separation, I was just wondering then what role does the fiction play if any at all! Thanks. ^_^

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144404 by
@V-Tog

I agree, I mean I initially found the site while messing around with Star Wars stuff on google, but I don't think that initial interest is what keeps (me anyway) in the temple. I think it requires more than fleeting interest to complete those initiate lessons even. Haha I was thinking of it in terms of the myth, like Campbell discusses. Also, I understand as well the limitations of the fiction, in that, there are so many questions it does not answer, and none of the Jedi presented in the films offer a complete view of the ideologies of the Temple.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144408 by
In terms of how we could liken the fictional Jedi to characters in other religions, I'd say they relate more to figures from parable (contentious definition ahoy) or something like that... Noah springs to mind. They're dramatic characters within a mythic cycle that we may be attached to, but don't worship or idolise as such. But they may still teach us lessons.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #144417 by
tzb - you beat me to it! I believe the mythology best serves as a vehicle to deliver lessons.

Perhaps the transformation of Anakin Skywalker can be understood as a cautionary tale warning us to keep our emotions in check. Han Solo's journey (though not a Jedi) allows us to consider the importance of loyalty and the dangers of greed.

You can find examples like this throughout the mythologies of any other religion. The characters are merely the device for transmitting the message. When one starts to focus on the characters instead of the message, the moral of the story can be lost.

The title of "Saint" is typically reserved for someone who actually lived rather than a character in the mythology. Noah, for example, is a character in the Biblical story. Saint Patrick was an actual person roaming around Ireland. One could argue that Biblical characters of the Old Testament are based on actual people, but putting too much importance on that idea is to miss the point of the stories entirely.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi