Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235156 by
I always enjoy reading about popular misconceptions being proven wrong. Thanks for the share. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235160 by
Interesting, so like the hype about the triune/reptilian brain....?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235205 by
I don't know half of my brain doesn't want to believe it. :)

Serious. right brain, left brain? I rely on my intuition way more than my IQ. What difference does it make where it resides?
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #235211 by Edan
As someone who has been studying psychology, this myth right gets on my nerves :P

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235213 by

Edan wrote: As someone who has been studying psychology, this myth right gets on my nerves :P

My fiance has a psych degree and she gets so mad when she's hears stuff like this too. This one, the "we only use 10% of our brain," and just too many others to keep track of. It's pretty funny when someone tries to talk about them though. She's cute when she's mildly disgruntled by misinformation. :laugh:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #235220 by Edan

Goken wrote: My fiance has a psych degree and she gets so mad when she's hears stuff like this too. This one, the "we only use 10% of our brain," and just too many others to keep track of.

I cannot watch 'Lucy' for this reason :P

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 1 month ago #235241 by Adder
Language has been shown to be quite lateralized, but it makes me wonder if the dominate eye versus dominant hand relationship had more to do with those mythical representations of left and right brain... such that if the dominant hand side of the brain was the same as the dominant eye side of the brain, then it might lead to the artistic influence emerging more as a synergy of systems fueling creativity, versus them being on different sides of the brain leading to perhaps a relative disconnect and subsequent relative availability of cognitive resources for the subconscious to grind numbers in a more meaningful way for the conscious person. If so, it could explain why the left brain v right brain interpretation emerged, because it might have just been the most readily apparent conclusion.

I think awareness of the hand as its informed into your awareness would go through the DCMLS, which means your right hand might be run by by your brains left sensory cortex, and the optic nerve also switches sides AFAIK, which means if your dominant eye was right then it would be on your brains left side, meaning your left side might be doing most of the heavy lifting, and that since its occurring in the same place you might be getting a tangible benefit in functions, if not from at least the shorter distances for signalling to travel. Perhaps its why some people thought left handed people were more 'intelligent'
:silly:

But more seriously I am just having fun with the ideas, as mentioned there is evidence of what is called brain lateralization , but is this born or developed... I dunno. If my crazy idea about brain function was true, then it could also explain perhaps why lateralization might develop in similar patterns across populations.

I think the 10% rings roughly true to anyone who has had induced altered mental states... so that 'myth' might be more about what the brain 'can' display as latent power - rather then inactivity serving as latent power which as mentioned here is demonstrably wrong. It is fun to consider if one could train their brain to have heightened perception, more vivid sensations etc!! If that is useful or practical or how much is safe, is another story!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi