Technology has Created more jobs than it has Destroyed

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200302 by
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/aug/17/technology-created-more-jobs-than-destroyed-140-years-data-census?CMP=fb_gu

Technology has created more jobs than it has destroyed, says 140 years of data

Study of census results in England and Wales since 1871 finds rise of machines has been a job creator rather than making working humans obsolete

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #200388 by
Assuming that this data holds true here in North America, this is not necessarily a good thing. Minimum wage in Canada and the U.S. is severely lacking. Hairdressers and waitstaff in some cases make less than minimum wage, because they make tips. Families, especially those with a single minimum wage income, are struggling more and more. I have been fortunate to find a job where I am making more than a decent wage, but my plant is getting set to lay off 60-80 people, who will then either end up on social assistance (welfare) or working 2-3 jobs.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by . Reason: More info

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200390 by

Dessel761 wrote: Assuming that this data holds true here in North America, this is not necessarily a good thing. Minimum wage in Canada and the U.S. is severely lacking. Hairdressers and waitstaff in some cases make less than minimum wage, because they make tips. Families, especially those with a single minimum wage income, are struggling more and more. I have been fortunate to find a job where I am making more than a decent wage, but my plant is getting set to lay off 60-80 people, who will then either end up on social assistance (welfare) or working 2-3 jobs.

Is that as a result of technology? Or poor economic policy?

Don't forget that technology has also result in a huge increase in living standards, clean drinking water, electricity, heating, washing machines, microwaves, mobile phones etc. Maybe the pay you get isn't as great as it should be, but you're much better off now than we would have been 140 years ago. Technology has made us richer in the goods we use if not the money we make (though this is likely still the case, because all those poorly paid jobs have been exported to less well-off countries, by comparison making us richer).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200394 by

Akkarin wrote: Is that as a result of technology? Or poor economic policy?

This ^^

The U.S. has a military defense budget so over-bloated that were it cut by 75%, it would STILL be the largest in the world.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200418 by

Don't forget that technology has also result in a huge increase in living standards, clean drinking water, electricity, heating, washing machines, microwaves, mobile phones etc. Maybe the pay you get isn't as great as it should be, but you're much better off now than we would have been 140 years ago. Technology has made us richer in the goods we use if not the money we make (though this is likely still the case, because all those poorly paid jobs have been exported to less well-off countries, by comparison making us richer).

Both. It is true that if minimum wage more closely matched the cost of living things wouldn't seem so bleak. However, technology is taking the well paying jobs and replacing them with minimum wage jobs. What good is an increased standard of living if you can't afford it? There are people in Canada and the United States that must choose between heat or electricity. Between food or shoes and clothing that their children desperately need.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200422 by

Dessel761 wrote:

Both. It is true that if minimum wage more closely matched the cost of living things wouldn't seem so bleak. However, technology is taking the well paying jobs and replacing them with minimum wage jobs. What good is an increased standard of living if you can't afford it? There are people in Canada and the United States that must choose between heat or electricity. Between food or shoes and clothing that their children desperately need.

I still see this as an economic issue, so called minimum wage jobs are exploitative. If the minimum wage isn't a humane livable income, you can thank the food service industry and its shills in Congress. All wages should be livable.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi