The Dunning-Kruger effect

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 month ago #183642 by Jestor

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

And check out the related articles... :laugh:

That is what I will bedoing shortly, starting with, "Why over confidant people get all the breaks"... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, RyuJin, Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #183683 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic The Dunning-Kruger effect

it turns out that people with real talent tend to underestimate just how good they are.

The root of this bias is that clever people tend to assume other people find things as easy as they do, when actually this is their talent shining through.

so, the reason i feel like an idiot at times is because i'm not? :huh:

interesting article...

at times i really do feel like an idiot, which aggravates me because according to my iq test results i'm not an idiot...this aggravation pushes me to figure out why i can't figure something out...

and the part about underestimating abilities...i'm always telling people "it can't be that hard, i can do it"...i've always figured that if i can figure something out i can't be the only one that can...and now my head hurts :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Edan

More
9 years 1 month ago #183724 by OB1Shinobi
trust in the sufficiency of your light

aim for the stars

dream big dreams

belive in yourself

this article is edvidence that we are better than we know

so be ok with that

dont let this trick you into thinking that confidence is bad lol

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago #183747 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic The Dunning-Kruger effect
One of my majors is psychology. I should write about this. Thanks!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183761 by
Replied by on topic The Dunning-Kruger effect
I've posted about this it's a really cool effect. Remember wisest is the man who know he does not know.

The author did an AMA on reddit a while back

Link http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/2m6d68/science_ama_seriesim_david_dunning_a_social/
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #194104 by
This is a phenomenon I run into all the time during my activism as a promoter of science. Too many people are too quick to dismiss anything that they can't instantly understand. Too often, they like to fall back on the idea that it's impossible to know what's true, and harp on the fact that science has been wrong before. They forget that when science has been wrong, it was always replaced with newer, more complete theories. The lack of a 100% understanding of something doesn't give you the freedom to invent whatever you want.

I think the three areas I encounter it the most are in regards to the fields of genetic engineering, oncology and, the true masters of Dunning-Kruger, the anti-vaccine movement. It can be so frustrating. Especially when I see it in myself. ;)
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #194129 by
I believe this explains a HUGE source of frustration for me working in the private sector. Some people are completely incompetent, but very confident in the process. They are rewarded for what appears to be successes even though they are most often riding the coattails of someone too modest to take the credit.

The situation is compounded by the idea that it is a violation of Human Resources policy to say or do anything that might hurt someone's feelings. I personally wish my boss would tell me when I'm being an idiot or doing something wrong, but instead he skirts around the issue and offers vague suggestions that do very little to help me improve.

I call it like I see it, even if it means calling you incompetent. I wish this was more acceptable in modern corporate culture.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi