One of the Most Basic Pets Can Help You

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #175772 by
Fish can help you calm down or alleviate your stress simply by watching them swim without moving your head (following with your eyes).

Stress Reduction, Tropical Fish and Aquariums
by Allan Schwartz, LCSW, Ph.D.

Although it is not discussed very much, there are health and emotional benefits that come from having an fish tank or aquarium. This is true whether its a fresh water or salt water tank. Why?

One of the environmental stimuli that people find very soothing is the sound of running water. There is a type of music than includes the sounds of ocean waves, rain storms and running streams that is mesmerizing as well as relaxing.

There is nothing more soothing than going to the beach and both watching the waves roll on shore and listening to the sound of the rolling surf pounding the beach.

Many of us intuitively know the benefits of flowing water. This is why many people go fishing in local streams and lakes. Many people have told me that, more than catching fish, the benefit they get from fishing is standing in a lake, taking in the sounds of nature and taking in the beauty of the lake and surrounding area.

Click here for the rest of the story.

Click here for more information about EMDR (the effect that watching fish swim has on you).
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175777 by
I myself keep African Cichlids. Keeping fish well can be expensive, so I would suggest checking out this guys do it yourself youtube channel for making awesome fish habitats on the cheap. https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175782 by
I used to have a wall of terrariums and aquariums when I was younger. Bullhead catfish, mud snake (Farancia abacura) and amphiuma were some of the specimens I kept that I captured myself.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi