Thermodynamics and the Origin of Life

More
10 years 2 months ago #134532 by steamboat28
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #134533 by Adder
Sounds possible from my limited knowledge.... given enough time and perhaps with a sustained direction of energy.

Coincidentally, I just today wrote a draft for my Degree Journal about maybe evolution is also about 'variety' of food sources.... which links into that about with the effect of energy turning into systems of energy consumption. It was something alone the lines of food quantity determines size, but food variety might determine complexity... sort of obvious in a way, what came first variety caused it, or evolution allowed it - I cannot say but it was just a thought I had.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #134534 by
I believe there is information within this article that may have bearing upon the subject. Ultimately, science will "discover" that the Universe is entirely made up of a single consciousness that manifests itself as energy waves that are witnessed [by us] as particles concerting together to create all the many objects of physical reality. That consciousness may be called the Force, God, Brahman, Tao, or Bob. Regardless of name, it is us and we are it, and nothing may exist except that it be torn from the dream of the Force and given life.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/discovery-of-quantum-vibrations-in-microtubules-inside-brain-neurons-corroborates-controversial-20-year-old-theory-of-consciousness
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134536 by

Adder wrote: Sounds possible from my limited knowledge.... given enough time and perhaps with a sustained direction of energy.

Coincidentally, I just today wrote a draft for my Degree Journal about maybe evolution is also about 'variety' of food sources.... which links into that about with the effect of energy turning into systems of energy consumption. It was something alone the lines of food quantity determines size, but food variety might determine complexity... sort of obvious in a way, what came first variety caused it, or evolution allowed it - I cannot say but it was just a thought I had.

This is what is known as divergent evolution. Species tend to evolve to reduce competition among other species for food which in turn drives their prey to diversity to avoid the new pressure. Example: two equally sized lizard population (different species) competing for the same beetle. One group would begin to shrink and prey on the smaller beetles while the other group would tend to get larger and feed on the larger beetles. This is beneficial to the lizards because now they don't have to compete with each other. More energy means more food which means more species which means more diversity. Divergent evolution mixed with ecology.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134537 by

steamboat28 wrote: " A New Physics Theory of Life "

Discuss. :)

Sounds like something a physicist would say who has no idea how the finer principles of evolution work. If creatures evolved to dissipate entropy dissipating entropy would have to have some sort of selective advantage, which I don't see any reason why it would. Also other creatures would evolve to avoid the dissipated entropy of other creatures ,but they don't. They often work by feeding of each other's entropy.

Physicist tend to have a huge egos and refer to biologist as stamp collectors. They think they can solve any problem with math ,but biology has proven to be much to complicated for any math a physicists can come up with. This is just a guy with too much of an ego who think he can out math biologists.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134894 by
Fractal math is starting to solve some of those unsolvable biology questions tho!

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #173423 by Zenchi
Young man seems to think he's discovered the secret to the origins of life, thoughts?
http://www.businessinsider.com/groundbreaking-idea-of-lifes-origin-2014-12

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #173426 by
I'm not much of a scientist, but if I understood that right he thinks he knows how life came to be. Does that mean that he thinks that he could replicate that process and create a living thing out of a non-living thing? Obviously this would be at the microscopic level. I'm not assuming that he thinks he could create a person, but a single celled organism, maybe. And it might be something completely new to the world.

I'm not really sure what to think of that.

Although quotes from "Young Frankenstein" are rampaging through my brain. :laugh:

P.S. If I misunderstood that and everything I said is completely wrong then I'm sorry.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #173441 by
That is really interesting. As the article says, it does make intuitive sense.

@ Goken-He isn't exactly saying that he could replicate that process and create a living thing out of a non-living thing, but he is saying that it isn't unreasonable to say that life can come about from "non-life." Basically he's applying his formula to answer how life came to be. Living things dissipate energy more efficiently than non-living things, and since it would seem that non-living matter has a tendency to organize itself in a manner that would better dissipate energy, it would stand to reason that, given enough time, non-living matter would naturally form itself into something living. He's also saying that not all evolution necessarily comes about through natural selection, but simply because a certain mutation is easier to evolve or better harmonizes with the amount and type of energy in a given environment than another mutation. Extremophiles are good examples of this.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #173443 by Adder
It's a good angle into that Gaia theory type stuff, as it sort of makes us more 'of Earth'..... sure only heat dissipation units perhaps, but it sounds more intimate if we are born out of the dirt directly.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi