Should paternity test be a normal check box in child birth ?

More
9 years 4 months ago #168444 by Carlos.Martinez3
During the course of paper work pricks immunizations and signatures a birth can be quite overwhelming, but should a paternal test be added to the check boxes of things to do at birth?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #168446 by Edan
Personally, I think the answer is no... I don't understand why it would need to become something to do (at every birth)? Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and, in the UK at least, I'm pretty sure you don't have to declare both parents and there may be good reason not to (abusive parent perhaps).

What do you think the benefit is?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168447 by
I think people should be allowed to request one, but I don't think it should be required.

I had an ex who cheated on me and then led me to believe that she was pregnant for a little while. I was going to request a paternity test if she had actually been pregnant.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168457 by
It would be a good idea if......owned the company that did the tests.

I think the health care community has more important issues.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168460 by
The roles of parents are not defined by biology, on all sides of the matter...

While it takes a village to raise a child - for me - dadhood or momhood goes to whomever steps up...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168464 by
not that i could or did deny him anyway, as he looks like my mini me, but i did a paternity test...of a sort, on my son. his mothers side of the family is lilly white mostly irish folk. mine is half bolivian. so when i got one of those 'where are your ancestors from' little DNA things for him, and it turned out that he is 19% 'indigenous' (which works out pretty right if im his dad. which i am.)

boom. paternatied.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168472 by
It was never required for either of my daughters.... The answer would be as long as it is not mandatory...I don't see why not? It allows people to know it is there and ok to ask for it if one wants to.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168481 by
Should a private detective background check be part of a marriage?
Should an up-to-date sexual health certificate be part of a new relationship?
Should a breath test be required before a car will start?

Some would answer yes to some or all of these no doubt... but many others are happy to trust people as fundamentally honest and decent. Personally I think that's the nicer way to live one's life, but I if there was a way to remove some of the stigma around paternity testing for those who do feel they'd like that extra security that would probably be a good thing.

I'm not sure there ever will be though... it does seem a kind of inherently mistrustful thing in some sense, unless the woman in question has definitely had more than one sexual partner in a certain space of time. I'm not convinced that's the case for the majority of births so I don't think it needs to become the norm.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #168503 by ren
Of course it should be. Men should also have an equal right to abandon their children.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-cant-refund-31000-child-4074479

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 4 months ago #168551 by Amaya
Ren
Men do have an equal right to abandon their children happens everyday.
And that bloke in the article is an idiot, he should of done test when he first started paying instead of waiting all this time. Especially if he had doubts.

Everything is belief

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi