Antares Launch Failure

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167184 by
Antares Launch Failure was created by
Here's a link to yesterday's launch failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSr4hUcROwo&feature=youtu.be

No-one injured which is great news, will have to wait and see what caused it, the rocket motors are soviet built and one exploded during testing earlier this year...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #167194 by Alexandre Orion
Soviet ? :blink:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167199 by
Replied by on topic Antares Launch Failure
Yes, soviet... NASA are currently outsourcing most services to get the best value for money... The N1 rocket motors are updated versions of the ones that were used for Soviet moon missions

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167200 by
http://gu.com/p/42p3x/tw Hopefully that link will work

More
9 years 4 months ago #167201 by Alexandre Orion
They are really 50 year-old rockets ??? :ohmy:

No wonder then, if a few blow up on the launch pad. :pinch:

Out-sourcing in terms of 'collaboration' is understandable.

Out-sourcing in terms of cleaning 'out' the cellar of a cooperative that no longer exists is lunacy. Multi-billion €uro lunacy ... :whistle:

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167203 by
I agree, I was bitterly disappointed when they pulled the plug on the shuttle. There are arguments against space exploration, like the money could be better spent on hospitals, poverty and a cure for cancer. But then consider all the money spent on wars. I don't want to get into a huge debate about self-defence but I really do think mankind is missing a trick when it comes to space exploration.

More
9 years 4 months ago #167207 by Alexandre Orion
I totally agree with you there, Oberon.

I feel that space exploration is essential to us as a species. We have been explorers ever since we climbed down out of the trees. It is why we are so keen on "adventure" stories now. It forms the basis of our mythology because it is such a vital part of us, not the other way around ... :cheer:

The thing is, the space shuttle herself is 35 years old. Even before we started going for rides around the planet in that one (1981), there were better designs -- just more "expensive". Go figure ... :S

We don't have to argue about Defence. It is a silly venture. That is why enemies are conceptual ones now : war on drugs, war on terrorism ... and to defend 'interests' rather than actual 'people'.

I'd be all for channelling more of the funds blown (no pun intended) on military spending into space exploration. Hell, we should have already been to Mars.

We're late .... :P

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167243 by
I'm hopeful there will be a change of heart with the U.S. Government about space exploration soon. I'm wildly excited about the prospect of putting a lander on a comet next month...

I remember being late for work watching the last Mars landing, this one will be absolutely mind-blowing if they manage it!

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/10/29/cometwatch-26-october/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #167267 by
One of my first memories is watching the Space Shuttle Columbia land at Edwards Air Force Base after the first mission in 1981. One of the most vivid memories of my childhood was watching the Challenger explode after takeoff live on television.

I have always been fascinated by space exploration and the incredible feats we have achieved in our efforts to reach out into the universe around us. Not just technologically, but as human beings. The ingenuity and courage of the Apollo 13 crew is particularly inspiring. It is sad that we have abandoned so many of our efforts after the sacrifices made by so many to lay the foundation for us.

I am optimistic that we will soon realize the importance of exploration as a driving force of new technology as well as a common goal that can bring us together in cooperative collaboration. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #167275 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Antares Launch Failure
i too fail to understand why they use modernized ancient engine designs. why not use the old ICBMs straight out of the box like others do, or proven technology like soyuz or even ariane with larger payloads? In fact, why not build a saturn 5 again and just lift 10 years worth of supplies in one go? :D

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi