Graphene.

More
28 May 2013 19:44 #107844 by Wescli Wardest
Graphene. was created by Wescli Wardest
Graphene is a material composed of pure carbon, with atoms arranged in a regular hexagonal pattern. Graphene can be described as a one-atom thick layer of the mineral graphite, (many layers of graphene stacked together effectively form crystalline flake graphite). Amongst its other well-publicised superlative properties, it is very light, with a 1-square-meter sheet weighing only 0.77 milligrams.

The Nobel Prize in Physics for 2010 was awarded to Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov at the University of Manchester "for groundbreaking experiments regarding the two-dimensional material graphene". In 2013, graphene researchers led by Prof. Jari Kinaret from Sweden's Chalmers University of Technology, secured a €1 billion grant from the European Union to be used for further research into development of potential applications of graphene.

Attachment gse.jpg not found

Graphene, a two-dimensional sheet made of pure carbon, is 200 times stronger than steel. A new experiment at Columbia University in New York City has for the first time directly measured the strength of two-dimensional carbon and found it to be unprecedentedly strong. Carbon sheets only a single atom thick might be used in making super-lightweight composite materials.
http://www.aip.org/pnu/2008/split/867-2.html

Additional information.

http://www.extremetech.com/tag/graphene

Mass producing Graphene.

Unfortunately, novelty doesn’t come cheap. Graphene is prohibitively expensive to make – as recently as 2008, it cost $100 million to produce a single cubic centimeter of graphene, according to Daily Tech.

But researchers have just found a method that could bring that cost down and make graphene a ubiquitous fabrication material.
http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/2013/02/26/graphene-the-quest-to-mass-produce-the-next-miracle-material/

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2013 02:12 #107882 by
Replied by on topic Graphene.
Interesting. Always nice to learn something new. Thank you.

More
29 May 2013 02:20 #107883 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Graphene.
I heard you can make graphene circuits with a laser from a cd-rom. Someone already produced a super-capacitor that is paper-thin 1x1cm and lights an led for 5min. They claim they can stack them and make them 10,000 times better than batteries.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2013 03:32 #107891 by
Isnt battery power the only reason a lightsaber hasnt been created?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2013 09:36 #107918 by
Wescli, are you someone who corrects people when they say 'the lead in my pencil'? I am :P

Drexid wrote: Isnt battery power the only reason a lightsaber hasnt been created?

Off topic but no. It is one of the reasons. Containing the plasma beam is the most difficult. Then getting a law passed allowing someone to carry it around would be the second...

More
29 May 2013 12:08 #107934 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Graphene.
Hahhaha :P Akkarin, after years I have learned that having everything be “just right” is not always as important or beneficial as letting some minor things go. ;) But yes, I was at a time that way. :D

I have wanted to share this with y’all for about a week now. But, I was out of town then on my return discovered my computer was messed up. So it took till yesterday to get it on here.

Graphene is not “new” so to say, but people have discovered a new process to manufacture it far more cost effectively. That is the key to utilizing something in a way which we can gain the most benefit from it. And as technology and advances march on, I would think that the availability of this will only become more abundant. I would hope!

I think that this could very well be the material of the future. A lot of people are looking into its size and conductivity for electrical applications… but I also see a new building material for hulls. Space ship hulls. ;) With the new “drives” (engines) being developed and this materials ability to conduct electricity, its strength and weight… mass and speed could quickly become much lower on our list of concerns for space travel.

Just a thought.

Monastic Order of Knights

Moderators: ZeroVerheilenChaotishRabeMorkanoRiniTaviKhwang