Sunlight and Sound

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #94306 by
Sunlight and Sound was created by
How big is a partical of sunlight and what is a sound wave made of?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #94315 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
E/c^2=m <- There's the mass of a ray of light.

Sound is a pressure(p) wave so it's made of air molecules: mostly oxygen, nitorgen, etc.

Disclaimer: I have a physics degree so don't take anything I say seriously

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
11 years 2 months ago #94329 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
Problem about light is, that it has the properties of a wave as much as of a particle (maybe a little more even). If it is viewed as an EM wave, than it should technically not have any dimensions or mass at all. However, there are cases where the particle model is the only one to explain a phenomenon, let alone the fact that you can measure (!) the 'mass' of light. Another problem is, that light particles only have a mass as long as they are in motion and their entire mass is relativistic. Thus, once it impacts somewhere, it transfers its energy to the other particle that in turn changes its energetic state sometimes emitting other EM waves of its own shortly. At that point, the initial light particle does no longer exist as such.

As for sound waves, they are, as described, shockwaves and thus only exist in some sort of medium. It doesn't have to be air at all, since every matter resonates with shockwaves. We use to hear sounds conducted through air and water, but even rocks do resonate with shockwaves and give them back and you can measure their sound wave with a seismometer very precisely, even if the air isn't thick enough to bring its whole amplitudes up to your ear so that your your senses are irritated.

And that is no high grade academic physics, I just picked up a few things at school.^^

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
11 years 2 months ago #94330 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
This graph shows some info on 'how big' sunlight is;
Solar Radiation Spectrum

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #94354 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
All your answers are theories. Guesses, speculation about what we don't know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94363 by
I always found a fun question to ask (without simply googling the answer...) is "What is fire made of?"

But the above answers to your questions are correct to the best of my knowledge

The size of a particle of 'sun light' would be between 400 - 700 nanometers. That is the range of the visible spectrum of light. But the sun gives out many variants of that, such as UV as an example. But that is not 'sun light' essentially, because we cannot see it with our eyes

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94364 by
As much as everything, but Whyte Horse's answer is the most accurate one that we have.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94377 by
Everyone is focuse on science and western style thought.

This is posted in the philosopyh section. Think philosophically. :)

More
11 years 2 months ago #94387 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound

Kalkho wrote: As much as everything, but Whyte Horse's answer is the most accurate one that we have.

With all due respect - this statement is false.

E/c^2=m is describing the mass of any energy particle, be it light or matter or whatever else I might be missing out while focusing on what we know best. Regardless of that it is the mass and not the size of them, it also is dependant on the energy the respective particle has. Thus, a faster particle is heavier than a slower one and light particles would by that formula have a relativistic mass of c/c^2=1/c which they would not even have if they were massive objects.

And, as stated before, a pressure wave doesn't need air to exist - any medium would do, so there is a slight incompleteness in that statement.

Adder wrote: This graph shows some info on 'how big' sunlight is;

Solar Radiation Spectrum

That, too, doesn't illustrate the magnitude of sunlight but only how many of what wavelength EM waves are being emitted by the sun.

Akkarin wrote: The size of a particle of 'sun light' would be between 400 - 700 nanometers.

In fact, that is approximately the spectrum of wavelengths that the human brain can interpret as light (which you said - granted). It is, however, not the size of light particles but the length of the light waves. With this and the formula f=λc where λ is the wavelength, you can see what light frequencies they are, respectively. And since E=hf, you can even figure, how much energy light of different frequencies has.

Akkarin wrote: But the sun gives out many variants of that, such as UV as an example. But that is not 'sun light' essentially, because we cannot see it with our eyes

The sun doesn't give you 'variants' of the same spectrum. It emits a certain broad spectrum of EM waves and only those within the visible wavelength range can be percieved and interpreted by humans. Also, that doesn't mean the other wavelengths are any less 'light'. They are just not visible to us, but by their physical properties and the way they interact with other energy types they are quite the same, even if they carry other amounts of energy.

Rickie The Grey wrote: All your answers are theories. Guesses, speculation about what we don't know.

Brave statement. For all I know the earth might as well be flat. All I have seen were images and people telling me differently, but it might still be wrong (and even a huge conspiracy) for all I know. However, the theories we have seem to make testible predictions about events that turn out to be correct, too. Thus, as much as they may be wrong (we could in fact be all living in a matrix, really) at the end of the day, they are at least comfortable and help us understand some things just enough to satisfy our curiosity - and you asked, thus you have it, too.

Rickie The Grey wrote: Everyone is focuse on science and western style thought.

This is posted in the philosopyh section. Think philosophically. :)

Oh... sorry :s
Next time you might want to specify what kind of answer you are searching for. Because even with that in mind I still don't know what you expect other than the answers you have. The questions don't suggest any different. But that may be just me.

[/random-ramble-'bout-science-stuff-'n-shit]

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #94395 by
This is posted in the philosopyh section. Think philosophically. :)[/quote]Oh... sorry :s
Next time you might want to specify what kind of answer you are searching for. Because even with that in mind I still don't know what you expect other than the answers you have. The questions don't suggest any different. But that may be just me.

[/random-ramble-'bout-science-stuff-'n-shit][/quote]

Sorry I thought the subforum title was the key.

What kind of answers? It's the philosophy section I wouldn't dare try to direct how people should answer.

If this makes it easier, imagine you are living 4,000 years ago how would you answer these questions.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi